Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Splondike

Hi all,

I am a Landcruiser virgin and I am picking up a 2001 4.2 Anniversary Amazon next Tuesday. I am quite excited and will have a load of questions no doubt, this seems like an active and friendly place :) The search has taken me from my native Kent to Leicester, Hereford, Wembley and finally to Harrogate to secure a decent one with a budget up to 15K. This one is by bar the best I have looked at and whilst not perfect with some TLC it will make a very nice vehicle.

I am coming from a V8 X5 but due to a change of circumstance I needed an extra seat, and my mechanic kept going on about how great these things are so here we are !

Hope to bombard you all with questions soon.

Cheers,
Mark

(Sorry just noticed there is an introduce yourself section - oops, over excited!)

Last edited:
Welcome Mark,

I hope your LC turns out to be OK. They are generally very reliable. I spent 2 years looking for a good 80 back in 1996-98 and another 2 years for a good 100 2008-10.

How many miles has yours done?

It has done 155k but has been into Toyota throughout it's life for everything, the history is quite amazing and it drives perfectly. It also came in considerably cheaper than some of the other poorer examples so I have some budget to spent on getting her tip top and maybe upgrading/modernising a few things as I go.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome, I have worked my way through an 80 series, 90 series and currently an 100 series and IMO they are excellent, enjoy your 100 and ask what ever you need to know....

It has done 155k but has been into Toyota throughout it's life for everything, the history is quite amazing and it drives perfectly. It also came in considerably cheaper than some of the other poorer examples so I have some budget to spent on getting her tip top and maybe upgrading/modernising a few things as I go.

Just run-in at that mileage :lol: Welcome to the forum!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome, and congratualations.
IF it has been serviced by a dealer, and not an amateur (=lover); the first to do is checking front wheel bearings (repack), spindle bearings, oil level & quality x4 (they never get it right), and the status of the converter if it's an auto. Dealers are always more interested in selling and changing parts than in maintaining perfectly servicable parts.

Thanks for the info, I will get my man on it asap once it is home. He know his way around these things so will probably get straight on the case :)

Yeah, MAIN TOYOTA DEALERS what a joke. Mine came with a warranty booklet saying it had been serviced to the best possible standards. I found a list of faults including 4 mis matched tyres and a sodding great big hole in the spare. JEMCA CROYDON should all be shot.

I think there is a variation though and obviously the standard of technicians and their understanding of certain models will vary from dealer to dealer... Otherwise what you are saying is that a full and complete service history counts for nothing and that "fred in a shed" is better... which certainly is not always the case. Also some owners are savvy enough not to let the dealers just do what they want, I question stuff that is being done and make sure that they do what I want and not always what they think they should do.

I could only go on what was presented before me, and it drove the best out of the bunch that I viewed, including those up for 6k more, everything works on it and it appears to have been used as a family run around rather than a farmyard workhorse :) Only time will tell !

Yeah, MAIN TOYOTA DEALERS what a joke. Mine came with a warranty booklet saying it had been serviced to the best possible standards. I found a list of faults including 4 mis matched tyres and a sodding great big hole in the spare. JEMCA CROYDON should all be shot.
So then Jemca Croyden are no better than Jemca Sidcup and Jemca Enfield.

Splondike (great name btw (Splendid Klondike?))
Sounds like your 100 is a real find. What you say about dealers and "Fred" makes perfect sense.
But still, from all I've heard, from many countries even, is that it is hard work to force the dealer garages to actually use the grease gun on the props, and to actually repack the wheel bearings. And then to actually convince a service manager that there is such a thing as a spindle bearing, or a neutral pressure.... -- you would have to show them in your own workshop manual.

I don't know the other JEMCA dealers. Usually the problem starts with the top of the organisation so I would not be surprised if all the Jemca dealers are poor. They made 7 elementary mistakes on the 100 I bought.

I can't fault Westlands Toyota Stourbridge. I was talking to the owner not realising who he was and after much discussion with him about cars and customers he revealed who he was.

It's an old gaming tag that has followed me from back in the day :) Me and my mate used to play Counter-strike and we were Splondike and Chugnut :cool:

Counter Strike, now that's a blast from the past ! Fantastic game (in its day)
Welcome to the forum

Thanks Brian. My boy play CS go with his school mates now too... nothing to do with me either !

Car is home and we had a nice long drive home to get used to it....will post up some pics at some point.

Back