Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel pump numpty

Trevor

Country Flag
england
I've been a numpty and accidentally pulled the fuel delivery pin (under the diaphragm) too far up which has allowed the horizontal spring loaded pin to move, I now can't get the first pin back into the pump.

Have looked at various ways of solving without taking the fuel pump out or removing the inlet manifold. Run out of ideas and could use a bit of forum advice.

How about - Don't do it again?

Numpty Pumpty.

My understanding was that you can't get it back in. JV told me a long time ago that under no circumstances let this happen.

I read somewhere on the net how to get that pin back in so it's worth searching for a bit. I think it involves grinding off a small part that is not used. Part of the pin that is.

As frank says. The bottom part of the pin can be ground at a 45degree to allow the horizontal pin to be pushed in as you push the diaphragm pin back in.

hope the above makes some sense.

Was it this frank on ih8mud?:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-official-1hd-t-ft-fuel-pump-mod-tuning-thread.728533/This is the way to remove and replace the pin without having to dismantle anything.

Mark which way to the diaphragm faces towards the front of the engine on the metal washer on top of the diaphragm.

If you grind the end of the pin at an angle approximating 45 degrees but… make it curved and polish it smooth. This is to allow re-fitment of the pin.

The reason is simply the profile follower sticks out and you wont be able to push the pin back in unless you make a taper on the end of the pin. Make sure its smooth. I use 400 grit wet and dry to do this.

Grease end of pin, use a small screwdriver it push profile follower in a little (it tends to stick out a bit too far when you remove the pin – some tension may be removed by holding the throttle open while you do this and keep it open until pin is back in) and gently rotate pin until it sides in, the orientate with the mark you made pointing towards the front of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Trev, I'd get a grown up to help you with this bit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks peeps, Chris I think you are probably right :)

The pin or plunger, whatever you want to call it, that is stopping you pushing the plunger back in is spring loaded. To get behind the spring there is a bolt that can be undone on the side of the pump facing the rad below the throttle position sensor. It was tricky to get at iirc and i think i removed the tps, all this was a while ago.

Recently i messed with the pump fueling again and to make things easier i just ground the plunger down because i find some of the adjustments easyier to do when the plunger can be removed at will.

Trev, I'd get a grown up to help you with this bit.

I'll let Trev sweat trying to carefully grind the pin and then I'll put it back together for him while he watches from afar.

Id sell the truck cheap, real cheap. Its a non runner and probably scrap. Those pins are custom ground from ceramic coated steel and can never be replaced. epic fail of major proportions...

Back