Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

M O T and middle row Seats and A bar questions.??

V8 or be Late

Hello everyone.! Im going for my MOT next week and i have a 2001 Colorado 95 model with the 3 row of seats, 8 seats in total.! I have the back row out and have also removed the 2 seat piece behind the drivers seat to clean the covers because of spilt shopping.! i still have the single seat behind the passengers seat that makes up the remainder of the middle row.! Does anyone know if this will be an issue when it comes to the MOT and cause a problem leading to a fail.?? in my Tax book it doesnt mention the number of seats.!! Second question is regarding an A-bar i had fitted, it is a chrome one and doesnt hide the square front number plate or lights.! does anyone know if this will be a problem with MOT.?? Thanks .!!

In my 80 the only seats are driver and front passenger, the rest were removed a long time ago. When they were taken out I also removed the seat belts for the third row tip-up seats but I never got round to removing the belts for the second row, but every MOT's it's been through it's never been questioned. AFAIK if the belts are there they have to work.

As long as the seats have a working seat belt it'll be ok.
A bar ok of doesn't cover lights or reg plate.

ok thanks. the 3 seats that are still in have working seat belts and its my plan to bolt them back in again after they are cleaned and dry.!

Stainless A bar has never been an MOT issue for me - it's been on there for the last 12 MOTs & at least 6 different testing stations.

We test to what we see when the car is presented, if the seats aren't fitted then we don't test the belts, also we don't test any belt with a child seat fitted. A bar isn't part of the test apart from it being secure and no sharp edges as with the rest of the body work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks everyone for the info. I will be fitting the seats back into the middle row once they are dried out. The only other thing is that the speedometer and odometer dont work.! Ive tried all the connections and cleaned the rotor assembly ar the back of the transfer box but still not working.!! Would this be an MOT failure.??

Speedo should work, odo doesn't but if the mileage is the same as last year then the tester might start checking. TBH I never check if the speedo is working as I generally don't drive the vehicle any further than the length of the ramp. The criteria is that if the speedo is clearly inoperative it's a fail, so if it looks OK it works ;)

Last edited:
Back