Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

advice on 2.4ltr engine

graysworld

Hi, I am new to this so firstly Hello!

Secondly I am looking at buying a 1992 2.4ltr LJ70 swb .....BUT people say that they are known for blowing head gaskets and cracking heads...is this true. Also what is the fuel consumption like, I have heard scare stories about that too.

All advice welcome

Regards Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Welcome to the site you'll get some good advice from the guys soon :)

BTW I'm TheWarden over on the Hubb

If you can hold out for one look for a kzj70, has the 3.0td engine, is more reliable and much more power

I have owned LJ70 and currently own a KZJ70. The LJ70 is slow and underpowered compared to the KZJ70. The 3.0TD has much more power & torque and is better on fuel believe it or not. Either way you are looking at 20-25mpg maybe 30 on a run at a steady 50mph.

A few people have fitted the 4runner 3.0TD engine to the LJ70 with minimal work its a straight forward swap.

The 2.4 engine isn't Toyota's best, but it can still take some abuse. It is known for blown gaskets and cracked heads, due to high temps. Keep your cooling system in top shape and you should be fine. If you can find the 3.0TD then I'd advise like the above to go the extra mile. You won't regret it.

:icon-biggrin: hi , i have got one and had for a few years , yes they are slow , yes thirsty , but as with all things good maintanance and you should be fine . flush new stat hoses rad if needed toyota red anti freeze etc , great trucks :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They are slow and thirsty as has been said before, but if looked after, they go forever.

WP_000201.jpg

And the engine is not the reason that I am selling mine.

For a 23 year old truck they are bloody marvellous. How many K reg sierras or vectras do you see nowadays - hardly any, yet the 70's trundle on. But.....if you buy a dog it'll be problematic, so buy carefully.

Slow? My dads 24v electric seat got to 20mph first.......

I have yet to kill mine, and boy does it get some abuse! And it has ran over 400.000 kms! Starts goddamn better then a diesel passat i used as a DD..
I towed a 2.5 ton pickup truck 15kms a warm summers day, with an old clogged radiator it sure soon boiled! Popped the hood the first step, full heater on and took it easier on the hills, thing still runs as good as new! Dont use any water or oil either!
Now with a brand new radiator as of last summer heat is NOT a problem! Slow and thirsty, yes, but goddamn unkillable!

Thanks for all the advice, the one I was looking at sold before I could look at it!! I am not bothered about slow maybe the juicy part makes me a bit worried as it would be my daily drive and now I have an avensis ( perfect on fuel but a bit bad of road!)

I will keep looking

Graeme

Hi guys I'm using the iPhone app of this forum, how do I post an introduction to myself on like a new post instead of writing on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can reply to your posts but I can't find where I put puny own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go to "forum" then scroll down to "introduce yourself" click on that and at the bottom is "new thread"

Back