Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another what tyres.

t1pper

Country Flag
uk
Its time to replace the tyres on my 100 (275/70x16), I was looking for a set of AT, my driving is some off road, some heavy towing and general road work, about 15K a year.

I was leaning towards the BFG's but are they really worth the premium?

Other choices on the short list are, Yokohama Geolanders or Toyo open country, should I consider anything else?.

I am not on a particular budget but I want a tyre that will preform reasonably well for my application and give a long service life.

Any tyres that people have got a good amount of miles out of would be of particular interest.

BFG AT are the benchmark in my view. Spend less you get less. But as long as that is still enough for you then fine. I don't think I have every heard anyone say they were disappointed with BFG ATs to be honest. Best off road? No way. Best on road? Nope. But if you want a tyre that will do all of this at the same time and do it for years and years and years, then it's the BFG. They're tough, quiet, predictable, good in snow, don't chip or chunk, very puncture resistant too. In terms of a mud tyre on a big heavy Cruiser like an 80 or 100 they struggle when there's nothing but mud under your wheels. But mud with rock and shale etc they're not bad. I think that if I had a completely road going cruiser (which I have) that needed new tyres (which it doesn't) I'd put BFGs on and then be putting them on the next 80 when this one wore out!

Other tyres are available. May contain nuts. Batteries not included.. yadaa yadda.

I always fit BFG AT's, I try some others occasionally and I'm disappointed and go straight back to the BFGs.

80K out of the only set I ever wore out BFG A/T s. I would wait until the new ones were available if you can. On my 100 I've got Grabber AT's which work just fine for the road.

80K out of the only set I ever wore out BFG A/T s. I would wait until the new ones were available if you can. On my 100 I've got Grabber AT's which work just fine for the road.

The new BFG AT is in my sights as the replacement set on my 80 if I can get them in the size I want, but I can't complain at all about the current set of General Grabber AT2s which perform very well and will just not wear out to make way for the BFGs :lol:

Thats the problem these days Clive, not many people use a Cruiser as an everyday driver. There are periods when I do but I don't commute to work so my mileage is pretty low. If I wore the new BFG AT K.O's out on my present 80 I would need a new set in 16 years time !!
I'd love a set of the new BFG A/T on my 80 or 100 but can't justify taking perfectly good tyres off just to fit something I'd really like.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cooper discoverer STT tyres size 285 - 75 - 16...... These are excellent off-road but noisier on road. Very strong & durable with incredible side wall strength.
In 4.5 years driven 80,000 km and only used 3mm of tread.
I compared to my new rear spare the other day and was amazed how good they still look & feel overall.
I bought them on the car almost as new and wouldn't be my first choice as to do not do that much off roading but you pay for what you get!
My next choice would be a 50/50 tire of the same if they have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the problem these days Clive, not many people use a Cruiser as an everyday driver. There are periods when I do but I don't commute to work so my mileage is pretty low. If I wore the new BFG AT K.O's out on my present 80 I would need a new set in 16 years time !!
I'd love a set of the new BFG A/T on my 80 or 100 but can't justify taking perfectly good tyres off just to fit something I'd really like.

Yep, Andy. You're quite right.

I bought a set of 5 GGs new, 5 years ago, 2 got trashed with sidewall damage on rocks, offroad, and I bought 1 to maintain a set of 4.

The 2 on the front wore quicker than the rear, one because they get more braking and steering wear, but two because I found out my front axle was bent (now replaced) causing camber scrubbing. Those are on the rear now, with about 5mm of tread. The two originally on the rear have been on the front for 2 years, and they still have a good 8mm of tread.

My problem is the sidewalls, where all the black rubber film has rubbed off leaving big blobs of white they use for highlighting the raised lettering. They're safe, but look a right mess.

I should reverse them on the rims I suppose, and paint them with black rubber paint, they are not rotational, AFAIK.

That's why I'm drooling over the new BFG ATs, the sidewalks look really tough, and the tread pattern (and I imagine offroad and asphalt behavior) looks to be similar.

I've a set of 5 BFG MUDS, and they're hardly worn at all, the spare MUD on the rear carrier has never been used.

Can't understand why someone want to have tires for years?!
What's wrong with replacing tires every two to three years?
I tried the copper, toyo, Yokohama and now the Goodyear which are quite surprising...
I found out that the Goodyear MTR overall diameter gives one inch more if that's something that you consider as valuable
Goodyear MTR 275/65/17 gives you 31" theoretically but Goodyear spec show overall diameter of 32"

In terms of balance and weight you will find many tiers better then BFG

Cooper will last for three to four years as well

That's my unpopular opinion ...

TLC 100 IL

Well it looks like the BFG's are worth the extra $, but I did like the look of the Cooper discoverer STT tyres however they do not come in the original size (275/70x16).
Does anyone know any possible pitfalls to increasing the size to 285/ 75 X 16 to accommodate the Coopers, plus the BFGs are cheaper in the larger size??

"Can't understand why someone want to have tires for years?"
"What's wrong with replacing tires every two to three years?"

Err not least because I am from Yorkshire. And secondly I am not a millionaire.

"In terms of balance and weight you will find many tiers better then BFG"

Seriously? I can't imagine why you'd think that opinion unpopular. But it is your opinion and that's fine.

Here's the change the different tyre size would make

Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 22.27.35.jpg

I went for 265-75-16 in Cooper STT in the end. They are within a whisker of the standard size. They are 31.6x10.43 where the original 275-70-R16 work out at 31.2x10.83 inches. According to US data on offroaders.com my 80 in standard height will take up to 32" dia x 11.5 wide. Above that needs a lift to be absolutely free from rubbing at all angles.

After a little more research the 285/75x16 BFG's are defo cheaper than the smaller 275/70x16 ??

If I went for the larger size I would save approx £50 on the set.

Do they rub anywhere?

Will I notice a difference in the drive or any other differences apart from the speedo reading very slightly faster.

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at post 11 T1p; there's all sorts of tyre calculators on Google but that ones already done for you.

Bigger tyres will always add more strain to the drive train, read less on the speedo, and reduce acceleration while increasing roll and dive under braking. How much depends on the size, type and pressure of the tyre.

Last edited:
I'm running 285 BFG's on my 80 with 30 mm spacers, they fill the arch's pretty well and give it a good stance. They don't rub at all but I don't know if they would rub without the spacers. Someone will be along to answer that one I presume.

Having had BF Goodrich AT's on my 80 and now having Cooper ST MAXX I'd never go back to the BF Goodrich, I find the Cooper to have more grip on the road and off road,it is just as quiet and it looks better, the ST MAXX gets my vote

Had BFGs on my Navara they did 35K miles and still looed like new !
Put BFGs on my Landcruiser they are very good, make sure the white logo is on the Outside ;)

Well it's the start of the month and I have ordered the BFG's in the original size (275/70x16) from an online supplier "Oponeo" at £130 each this seemed to be the cheapest deal around, I will fit them myself when they arrive.

I will report on the results once the tyres are fitted.

Oponeo have some good deals at the moment - they seem to be the new Camskill, IYKWIM.

Yes, openeo were about £30 ish pounds cheaper on the whole set.

Back