Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need a CB radio for my 80...any recommendations?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
So one of the last "must-have's" for our first trip away in the 80 is a CB radio, to keep in touch with the other's in the group. The problem is, I can't decide which one!

For me, it is really important not to be drilling holes all over the place in the dash - I either want it to look like it was factory-fit (i.e. a single DIN unit with front-facing speaker) or be a seperate handheld device that can be stowed away in the armrest cubby when not in use. Here's a couple of options I have been looking at:

TTi TCB-900 (front facing, single-DIN): http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=2091

Midland/Alan 42 (handheld): http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1212

Anyone have experience with either of these, or any other recommendations?

I would also be really interested in photos of where you have installed your CB's in an 80, and any advice on wiring them into the vehicle.

Many thanks,

Mike

The front facing speaker type is a good option. Some have the speaker in the body and they're harder to hear.

A hand held is a good thing to have in a group too as it can be used outside the vehicle to guide people when winching etc etc But they can be a bit of a pain hanging around on the seat with wires trailing everywhere.

IMG_20150616_083537_1.jpg

IMG_20150616_083518_1.jpg

CB Radio is slotted in under the stereo system with independent speakers....one needs to hear the radio rants. I might even re-jig it and put in a roof console, freeing up some of the cabling and putting in a touch screen entertainment system. Ignore the other clutter on the dash..its WIP *Work in Progress*

Exactly where I have put my ham radio Mojo, but in the auto the speaker fits a little further back on that side. I too have been thinking about a roof console but haven't yet as I'm not sure I want dangly bits (mic and cable) waggling around in front of my rear view mirror when I'm driving. I might mock it up and see how I get on.

Thanks Mojo, that's what I was considering but without the separate speaker mount.

You could fit something like this http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=992 under the seat with a remote speaker, then just connect the mic when you are going to need the CB.

That's a great shout Charlie, hadn't seen anything like that before! Really like that idea, think that could be a winner - I'll take a look and give those guys a call to discuss.

Cheers all!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AFAIK there are few CB's with front mounted speakers, I bought one of these

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1505

not cheap but so far has been very good.
The Midland handheld is a useful one too, I carried one as a spare until I lent it to someone (can't remember who) and they never returned it. :angry-screaming:

The 100 has a TTI TCB1100 in it currently, which seemed very good at the job for the couple of times I used it in the early days of ownership.

Because I wanted to run a double DIN headunit, I removed it and ran a Cobra ST75. Base unit hid away under the centre console.

Cobra_75ST_EU_Neuner_Mike.jpg

Not available in the UK, but my Uniden has a speaker mic, as well as a unit speaker. Father in Law who is into his Ham Radio said that was the combination to go for, and he was right. We run it on about 3 on the volume scale and can hear it nice and clearly over the radio and any other noise when we're out.

1890988_10153326005245856_6286582618819352113_n.jpg

11377302_10153326005240856_7265689065701291827_n.jpg

(And yes, that is a hair bobble thing working as the mic hanger... it works perfectly... there's also the wife's spare hair band (cordlette) hanging from the mirror that the mic gets hung on as well...)

I have the Albrecht unit with front speaker.

The 100 has a TTI TCB1100 in it currently, which seemed very good at the job for the couple of times I used it in the early days of ownership.

Because I wanted to run a double DIN headunit, I removed it and ran a Cobra ST75. Base unit hid away under the centre console.

How do you find the Cobra unit, Drew? It seems to be my favourite at the moment...

Solid unit, very clear sound especially with external speaker connected. Not overly laden with gadgets, appearing to concentrate on build quality and performance instead.

Sufficiently impressed that I'm tempted to put it in the Volvo, even though I don't really have a use for it now.

Solid unit, very clear sound especially with external speaker connected. Not overly laden with gadgets, appearing to concentrate on build quality and performance instead.

Sufficiently impressed that I'm tempted to put it in the Volvo, even though I don't really have a use for it now.

Or you can sell it to me if you like?? :)

I used the same Uniden as Paddler Ed my last rig, it was fantastic and came with a 3dB and 6dB antenna. However this time, in my 80 series, i'm opting to not install a UHF and going to go with a 5W handheld GME TX6150. These are an absolute gem.
Minor issue of charging on longer trips. But as long as your power is well planned, an inverter will make sure they get charged.

Back