Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lovely 80 Series Overlander

If I remember right has been for sale along time. Really nicely done but was top dollar with worn out tyres. If it's the same cruiser that is.
What was the price as I couldn't find it

£23k is the asking price

Its nice but for that money I'd rather build my own

Having built a very similar truck and having kept a very close record of what I spent, trust me when I say that this sort of vehicle costs this much to build and that doesn't include labour. Now is it worth £23k, well that's its value on paper but in my book unless it's been built and then offered up for sale as new, you cannot reasonably expect to have your fun with it and get your money back out. So no it's not. But if you were looking for something like this - OK if mine disappeared and I wanted a replacement, I'd offer him £20k and beg. I simply daren't publish what I have spent on mine. It's also taken just about every weekend dawn til dusk for two years. With all that kit included, subject to the car being in good fettle all round, it's not far off being worth it.

This one has been around a while - artsy fartsy ad - looks nice, but as said above, I'd build my own - hell, throw £15k at my 80 series!?! I can take some photos of used maps and a worn out Tom Tom if it ads to the value??!

I don't doubt the build costs, I've been modifying cars for almost 20years so know well build costs don't equal sale price. My track car has had unthinkable amounts spent on what at the end of the day is an old ford and even splitting it for parts I'd only get a fraction back of what I spent

You do see a lot of overland vehicles for sale where the sellers prices closer to the build cost than a sensible sale price always thought there were a bit optimistic :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agreed - feels like a good buy at around £15k all in. As I said, arty photos do it no favours, unless its meant as a "lifestyle choice".

Go for it guys. Let me know when the money runs out. Remember that this sale includes the base 80 as well as the worn out maps. What would you pay for a decent 80 and THEN spend to get it tip top. Front axle re build etc and all the usual bits and pieces and THEN buy and fit all the gear. If you threw £15k at an 80, plus the 80, you'd be at £20k wouldn't you. Not saying it's right but just pointing out to others that you can't build one of these things for a couple of grand. I've seen these sorts of thing, used, going for £10k with no takers. Having built 2 now, I can tell you I'd never do another one.

Most people on here are handy so the cost for us it way less then most people so if you add up the man hours to pay someone £30 an hour you would have one he'll of a bill then this would look cheap. I am sure I looked at this one.
It was nice but some small things I didn't like.

IMHO it is very nice, well turned out and as a sales presentation he has done well, outstanding condition all round ( according to the pics) if it were offered at half the price there may be a few takers, but, he only wants one taker.
the issue for someone who would be a buyer of a truck like this is its age and mileage, a newcomer with that sort of budget would be tempted by a newer low mileage Defender, it's only the "enlightened" who might see the value and may not have the time or budget to build a truck that good, I would be interested to see if it sells in UK. However, whilst at Bad Kissengam in 2014 I saw one 80 for sale ( left hooker) in pristine condition and not with as much on it offered for €70K, yep about £50 k in old money, they do sell for more bucks on the continent. My pal, Jacques, who lives in Marseille, paid €24K last year for a 12valve 80 similar spec motor, so, maybe it's only too many bucks for us? I do like it tho' it's only the price I dislike, best regards to all, Bill Westley

Yes, overseas prices of 80's even base models is vastly more than they are here. It's no wonder people grab them and export.

But I'd still maintain that this would be a good buy. Not everyone is handy on the spanners nor has the inclination. If you were prepared to work for £10 hr which I am not and you spent 8 hours Sat and 8 Sun for a year, it's be £8000 in your own labour at least. I agree that you can't charge back the money you spent on labour if you had to pay someone like JV to build it. But in my view, just the truck and the kit (if it all checked out) would pretty much be worth this. Ok yes, I'd offer £20k. But seriously I'd consider this as opposed to starting another one. Funny thing selling stuff like this second hand. There's what the seller wants and what the buyer is prepared to pay, but you aren't just buying one item. It's a collection in effect and you have to consider what you'd have to pay to recreate it yourself.

I think that the vehicle looks nicely done and well finished with a good deal of kit included. I'd like a look around it to be frank. Pinch some ideas. And some of those spares ...

I agree with you Chris. Having re-invented the wheel, so to speak, on many occasions, it has always worked out cheaper to buy than build. Now, if you count the learning experience gained by a project as what you're paying for, then that sort of makes it ok. But there's only so much to learn on a project and doing it twice or more (which incidentally you do need to do to improve on and learn from the mistakes of the first prototype) only means you learn a little bit extra, but hopefully do it better and cheaper. It still costs more than to buy. So, maybe not this one for me but I would buy one rather than build IF it had the right build quality and spec. Oh, and if I had the money…that's it, that was the other thing…![emoji6]

I agree with you Chris. Having re-invented the wheel, so to speak, on many occasions, it has always worked out cheaper to buy than build. Now, if you count the learning experience gained by a project as what you're paying for, then that sort of makes it ok. But there's only so much to learn on a project and doing it twice or more (which incidentally you do need to do to improve on and learn from the mistakes of the first prototype) only means you learn a little bit extra, but hopefully do it better and cheaper. It still costs more than to buy. So, maybe not this one for me but I would buy one rather than build IF it had the right build quality and spec. Oh, and if I had the money…that's it, that was the other thing…![emoji6]

Well said , I agree, roll back the years and I would have been better off to have bought something similar, ( although 12 valver for me)

It doesn't have an awning which is something to add. But, whilst not wishing to disagree with MYSELF, the major reason against buying one already done is that feeling of not knowing the vehicle. Odd but I'd rather go with the faults that I know about than maybe not see any faults and find out later to my cost. When you build something like this from scratch you know where every wire runs. What's been connected to what etc. If I see one single blue plastic crimp or a Scotchlok then I'd be running for the hills. I have taken a great deal of care with mine ti fix everything down, use proper connections, the correct sized cable, protect from vibration and so on. I am relatively sure that nothing is going to break free or rub through.

It doesn't have an awning which is something to add. But, whilst not wishing to disagree with MYSELF, the major reason against buying one already done is that feeling of not knowing the vehicle. Odd but I'd rather go with the faults that I know about than maybe not see any faults and find out later to my cost. When you build something like this from scratch you know where every wire runs. What's been connected to what etc. If I see one single blue plastic crimp or a Scotchlok then I'd be running for the hills. I have taken a great deal of care with mine ti fix everything down, use proper connections, the correct sized cable, protect from vibration and so on. I am relatively sure that nothing is going to break free or rub through.

is it for sale? ( just kidding)

Yes, £9995 T&T both fuel tanks full, £1000 cash in the safe and fully loaded with food from Fortnum & Mason

And what's the betting someone will say 'I could build one for less' :icon-rolleyes:

I could build one for less.

Seriously though, I have to agree with Chris in principle, I say that because I have never prepared an overland 80. But I have done a lot to my truck, and apart from what's visible (lift, bumpers, winch, roofrack, wheels & tyres and such like alone totaling circa GBP 7k) all the money is hidden.

And it has to stay that way, if the Mrs knew how much I've really spent, she'd have more babies... :shock:

Take your point on build costs (and the "I'd build it myself" also comes from personal experience in building up a number rigs over the years, not an overland Landcruiser, true - but various trail rigs and assorted modified vehicles) - my point is that if I build it myself I'd know exactly what I've got (per Chris' post earlier) - problem with buying anything "ready made" is that there will be things you don't like, that don't work for you, etc - so there's pretty much always an element of undoing someone else's work... so I would prefer to put £15k into my existing truck (if I wanted to go down this route) than sell it and buy this ready built one.

…the major reason against buying one already done is that feeling of not knowing the vehicle.

Agreed. I know exactly what you mean and how that feels. Or more to the point the feeling of when something goes wrong you know exactly how to put it right.

I'm pretty certain that anyone who builds a vehicle like this for proper serious overland travel, where the vehicle becomes their lifeline, and to this huge spec, will not have just cobbled it together and bodged it.

The utter rubbish that comes up for sale out there that is supposedly "overland prepared" (a few look-good items bolted to the truck) is all too common place. Very few people on here despite what they say, will buy an 80 series and then genuinely spend north of £15K to build it properly... and that is nowhere near enough if you start with the suspension and work upward, including engine overhaul, to the final spare part you buy for the journey.

Does it need to be built to this spec with all this stuff? Well that's a different story, because you can drive overland through Africa in an un modified 2CV. It's a choice to own something that makes life easy, comfortable and hassle free.

All that comes at a price, you're buying peace of mind; this truck is worth every penny if it has been done properly, and it looks like it has had some proper thought put into it.

Last edited:
Back