Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto door lock on pull-away or not in Park

SteveS

I would like to add a simple automatic way of locking the doors - for extra security - and have found in the US??? version of the owners manual the following section

Toyota auto door setting US p1.jpgToyota auto door setting US p2.jpg

Having tried this on my UK spec truck doesn't do the open/close confirmation/doesn't work and not mentioned in the UK handbook. On the basis that the functionality may be in the s/w system somewhere does anyone know how to enable this US feature on a UK car?

I'll have ago on mine later and see if it works....

I have automatic door locking on my 1998 UK '95' manual - so I doubt its a US Spec feature only.

Bob.

I have automatic door locking on my 1998 UK '95' manual - so I doubt its a US Spec feature only.

Bob.

That's interesting Bob - can you please tell us a bit more? I don't recall seeing anything similar in my owners' manual for my '97 Colorado.

Hmmmm. Its always done it and I assumed it was a standard feature. I'll have a look at the limited amount of paperwork that came with it.

It has a 'Toad' Alarm, so I suppose it could be linked to that. I'll look in the instruction booklet and report back.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll have a play with my Toyota Intelligent Tester to see if I can link in to the power locking module to see if i can make sense of what's going on

Hmmmm. Its always done it and I assumed it was a standard feature. I'll have a look at the limited amount of paperwork that came with it.

It has a 'Toad' Alarm, so I suppose it could be linked to that. I'll look in the instruction booklet and report back.

Bob.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a feature of the TOAD alarm.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a feature of the TOAD alarm.

You're probably right.

I'm afraid I haven't checked the documents yet - just too many urgent jobs on the go at once (including changing the engine oil & filter on the Amazon today, while it was hot after doing another urgent job!).

Bob.

Personally, rather than a blind alley, I think that's the simple answer Bob, fit an alarm that has auto door locking. It's bound to be easier and possibly cheaper than trying to get factory fitted parts that don't support auto lock, changed to those that do.

I might just have to get in the habit of pressing the button

I had a central locking / alarm remote operated system fitted to my '95 80, not realizing that upon start up, after a 10 second or so delay, it locked the friggin doors.

I took it back and asked him to simply disconnect the auto door lock function, but he said he didn't know how to do that:icon-rolleyes:

I really hate it, as soon as it locks, I unlock it, but fortunately, it's not intelligent enough to re-lock it.

On two occasions in my life, I've been first on the scene to an RTA when there's been badly injured victims trapped in locked cars.

It's very frustrating that as a helper, you can't get in a vehicle to offer any assistance.

I now almost have a fobia against locking doors whilst driving and my system drives me nuts. Also, on about 3 occasions, I've started the engine then jumped out to do something, maybe set the winch or check a roof load, and of course, the bloody thing has locked me out with a running engine.

Hate it, stay away, just press the button if you feel the need, but don't forget, in a crash, nobody will be able to help you, not until the rescue services arrive to cut you out.

JMHO

Hate it, stay away, just press the button if you feel the need, but don't forget, in a crash, nobody will be able to help you, not until the rescue services arrive to cut you out. JMHO

If you drive in an area where there are hijackers or robbers waiting at the trafficlights, then lock it with the button.

I've got one of those life hammer things but I think I might have to admit defeat.......I will look further to see if I can at least toggle it off and on and report back. I have it on my other car and it's not a problem but then again it's not an off roader and there is no need to get in and out so often

I had a look in the TechStream. There are no settings at all on automatic door locks. There are settings on automatic entry and exit lights, and a few other things. Related to locks, you can activate and deactivate the remote control.

You would think modern cars would open their doors in a collision. My Montego had a cut off switch for the petrol pump so it must be easy.

I've got one of those life hammer things but I think I might have to admit defeat.......I will look further to see if I can at least toggle it off and on and report back. I have it on my other car and it's not a problem but then again it's not an off roader and there is no need to get in and out so often

They're good to have, but of course you have to be conscious to use it. On the 2 occasions I mentioned, I was praying that a fire wouldn't start or that none of the three people in the car weren't bleeding to death.

It's amazing how many potential first aiders simply stand by helpless and watch folks die, when all that may be needed is some pressure applied to a cut artery, just for 5 minutes until an ambulance comes. In that 5 minutes (or less) otherwise survivors can simply drain out and die.

Sorry to be gruesome, but with all the amazing devices invented, self tensioning seat belts, air bags and the like, self locking doors is a humongous retro step for safety, should be banned IMO.

They're good to have, but of course you have to be conscious to use it. On the 2 occasions I mentioned, I was praying that a fire wouldn't start or that none of the three people in the car weren't bleeding to death.

It's amazing how many potential first aiders simply stand by helpless and watch folks die, when all that may be needed is some pressure applied to a cut artery, just for 5 minutes until an ambulance comes. In that 5 minutes (or less) otherwise survivors can simply drain out and die.

Sorry to be gruesome, but with all the amazing devices invented, self tensioning seat belts, air bags and the like, self locking doors is a humongous retro step for safety, should be banned IMO.

That's a good point you make Clive about being conscious.....especially as my truck has anti-attack Pentagon film on the glass....anyone trying to get in to save us will have a real problem if the doors are locked too

The Hummer had auto lock and i found it bloody annoying , i always thought of it as a child lock rather than security which may give you something to investigate if your determined to have it ?

Back