Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Northumberland

Old Fox

Country Flag
uk
Hello everyone,
So, have recently acquired a 1996 80 series 4.2 vx manual uk model which is a bit like me and has a few age related issues. I'm in the process of doing a few routine jobs on it like fluid and filter changes, new radiator, water pump, timing belt and springs and, i'm planning on doing all the suspension bushes etc over the next few months or so.

She's been bought as a towing machine for my caravan so will probably never see any real off road use.

I've no doubt i will be asking questions very shortly so be patient with me :shifty:

Welcome and enjoy the 'cruiser

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome indeed, anyone taking a 19 year old Cruiser is a brave man, but the satisfaction factor is priceless. As others have found they are time consuming but really there is nothing quite like an 80.

Welcome indeed, anyone taking a 19 year old Cruiser is a brave man, but the satisfaction factor is priceless. As others have found they are time consuming but really there is nothing quite like an 80.

Brave or stupid !! have had a bit tinker with it the last few days and the water pump and timing belt are now done and, the radiator will go in tomorrow.
I found this 80 by accident the lad who had it, had not used it for the last 3 years due to a bad bike accident (but still mot'd it every year) he had owned it for 9 years and according to all the mot's that came with it the 96k miles on the clock would seem to be as genuine as you can assume if you know what i mean.

96K sounds good, your'e in with a fighting chance of it lasting a long time. my GX has 187K on it and it drives like a dream, looked after they are very durable.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds nice find for that very low mileage! Waiting to see the pics..

Sorry just saw your posts chaps will try and sort out some pics over the next few days. Work has slowed on it cos i'm so busy with work at the moment and i've also decided to do more to it because it was stood for 3 years so, new discs are going on and maybe calipers will have to see if the old ones are serviceable first. The front wings may need to be replaced but, i may be able to save the originals yet, they have gone just at the lower outer corner of the headlights is this common ? a respray will be on the cards for next year (laquer bloom) but will stay with the original colour scheme of silver top and dark grey bottom.

I've already been offered a profit on it by my neighbour who wants one to tow his digger rather than his swb landy but, I have wanted one of these for as long as i can remember and never got round to buying one so, its a keeper for a long time yet.

I did used to own a Hilux Surf ssrx and always regretted selling it but their kerb weight lets them down as a towing vehicle unfortunately. An old work mate of mine is still using that as his daily driver 5 years later

Welcome to the forum, you "Old Fox"....

Yep, under 100k must be a rare find, posting photos will need another 10 or 12 posts (minimum 15 I think) so I suggest a bit more about yourself, the cruiser, or just some ramblings to get the post count up...

80s are great, once bitten you'll never get it out of your system :lol:

Welcome to the forum, you "Old Fox"....

Yep, under 100k must be a rare find, posting photos will need another 10 or 12 posts (minimum 15 I think) so I suggest a bit more about yourself, the cruiser, or just some ramblings to get the post count up...

80s are great, once bitten you'll never get it out of your system :lol:

Oh i can ramble :icon-wink:

Yes its common for the wings to rust there. Mine need doing really. Dont be tempted by cheap rads, go oem.

Yes its common for the wings to rust there. Mine need doing really. Dont be tempted by cheap rads, go oem.

Yeah i went oem on the rad almost spent the money on an aluminium one but for what i will be using it for i couldn't really justify the cost also nice to know i'm not just unlucky with the rusty wings.

Back