Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Access to Sea Container

SteveS

I will be shipping my truck overseas and would like to have a practice run at getting the truck in a standard ISO 20ft sea container before we do it in anger at the port. I would prefer the standard height rather than high-cube. Can anyone help?

Location Berkshire but happy to travel in south

PM me if you want to help

20ft containers only come in standard height IIRC, I have the exact dims of the doorway if needed.

You should be able to drive in but the exiting from the vehicle will be difficult as the 100s are wide and will have a problem getting out of the drivers door once inside, I would plan to go for a exit out of the rear tailgate.

I would consider isolating the battery and leave it unlocked at least you can access the truck to push it out of the container if you have any problems when unpacking it.

You will need several good ratchet straps to secure the truck whilst in the container so have them to hand it is a pain and quite awkward as there is not much room to move around inside the container once the truck is inside but there are plenty of tie down points to use,

Lastly make sure you are shipping as hazardous goods so you can leave the fuel and battery with the truck if not you will need to drain the fuel and remove the batteries, there is a price difference so work out what the penatly is for a HAZ or NON HAZ.

20ft containers only come in standard height IIRC, I have the exact dims of the doorway if needed.

You should be able to drive in but the exiting from the vehicle will be difficult as the 100s are wide and will have a problem getting out of the drivers door once inside, I would plan to go for a exit out of the rear tailgate.

I would consider isolating the battery and leave it unlocked at least you can access the truck to push it out of the container if you have any problems when unpacking it.

You will need several good ratchet straps to secure the truck whilst in the container so have them to hand it is a pain and quite awkward as there is not much room to move around inside the container once the truck is inside but there are plenty of tie down points to use,

Lastly make sure you are shipping as hazardous goods so you can leave the fuel and battery with the truck if not you will need to drain the fuel and remove the batteries, there is a price difference so work out what the penatly is for a HAZ or NON HAZ.

I am in the shipping business, all the above is good advice. 20ft high cube exist but are extremely rare. Disconnect battery, very low fuel, chock the wheels and ratchet strap car front and back.

I am in the shipping business, all the above is good advice. 20ft high cube exist but are extremely rare. Disconnect battery, very low fuel, chock the wheels and ratchet strap car front and back.

I did wonder about high cube in 20ft - i have only seen quotes for 40ft length high cubes and as i don't want to share my container i had ruled out that as an option. I reckon i have 4cm height to spare to get the truck/RTT through the narrowed door opening on a standard height container

Tipper - thanks for the tips - much appreciated

these are the measurements that i'm working to

mLengthWidthHeightdoor widthdoor height
20ft Container internal dimensions5.892.352.392.342.29

Other option of you are using your own sole use fcl (full container load) 20 ft is to load the car and remove the roof tent and load at the front of the container.cars should be loaded with the bonnet at the door side of the container to aid customs checks if necessary...ie vin numbers etc....

Other option of you are using your own sole use fcl (full container load) 20 ft is to load the car and remove the roof tent and load at the front of the container.cars should be loaded with the bonnet at the door side of the container to aid customs checks if necessary...ie vin numbers etc....

Thanks Mussy all useful things to know for the inexperienced shipper like me. I have planned to be able to take the RTT off if i need to but i don't really want to be handling 48kg of RTT if i don't have to.

I have heard of open frame 'containers' but don't like the sound of things being left in the open sea air for the crossing....I assume that they are above deck? They also would not have the same level of security for our contents which will be in the truck. I also saw a picture of a container with a side door....are these normal too?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just a thought but if you let your tyres down abit won't that give you more room above?

Just a thought but if you let your tyres down abit won't that give you more room above?

Definitely an option....the lowest bit is the doorway itself - once in I get a few more cm.....got an onboard compressor so potentially could pump them back up if I had to......or just leave them be for 2-3 weeks

I remember years ago a bus got stuck under a bridge in Lockwood,they were struggling pulling it out till my dad said why don't you just let the tyres down,hey presto bus come straight out,it's amazing how much they lower with flat tyres.

Back