Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ62 No start, goes dead!!! HELP!!!

fj62mattcocky

Country Flag
united_states
Hey y'all, Mattcocky here. I'm a new guy and I need help! I have an 89 FJ62 and I think I have two issues that is keeping me off the road. I got smart and divorced my wife and got rid of all my non FJ friends, so my truck is all I have. Ok, first issue. This started when I first got it. Random times, when I try to start the truck, I can hear the open circuit relay click (on the left side kick panel), but the starter will not spin. I can sit for 5 mins and it will spin over and start right up. Recently I began having a no start problem. The starter will spin but it will not start. Again, I can wait for a little while and it will finally start. Then as I am driving, I notice that it smells super rich and will go dead while driving but especially at stop lights.

The things I can tell you is the check engine light comes on when I turn the key, fuel pump was replaced before I got it. Could this be a fuel pressure regulator or something to do with the open circuit relay? Please help me, y'all. I need a victory in my life right now. I'm living in the middle of that Marshall Tucker Band song, "Can't you see?".

Thanks for any help in advance!!

Mattcocky

For what its worth (cos i dont have an FJ62).

Firstly, I get divorcing the wife, but basing friendship on FJ ownership doesnt make sense - I have many friends who own Land Rovers and I get many hours of enjoyment from taunting them about it, at the moment I dont have a 'cruiser, but the enjoyment is still as good, so maybe rethink a little, or get friends who own Land Rovers = mucho amusemento compadre.

Sounds like the starter is on the fritz - if you turn the key and it clicks but then nothing, try giving it a whack with a hammer (the starter, not the key....), the mechanism inside can stick, letting it know who is boss sometimes makes it realise the error of its ways......

When it goes dead - does it feel like its running out of fuel, or is it a sudden cut off? Former would make me think fuel delivery, latter electrical.

I'm assuming its a petrol engine?

Pete

Thanks, wobbly. I was only teasing about non cruiser owners. All of my closest buds have other rigs. The only bashing we do is good natured and directed at our friends that have $60,000 Ford and Chevy 2500 trucks that are too pretty to go exploring in. To answer your question, it is a petrol engine and I am about to check fuel pressure at the filter to see what's what. If it is electrical, where should I start? Again, thanks for your reply, bud.

Has the check engine light just started coming on? ie started when the problem started.

Id be inclined to check the regulator and if no joy then split it in to two, electrical side and fuel.

Fuel is the easiest, so id do that first, and it also sounds the lesser likely, so start at the tank and work forwards. Filters, rusted or porous pipes etc.

Electrical.....I would start by checking the earths on everything, if its an intermittent problem it could be a poor connection.

Hi Matt, could you clarify what happens to the starter please? Is it that the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel, or that it turns the engine as it should but the engine does not fire?

Also does the check engine light go out after starting or remain on?

Regards
Richard

Last edited:
Wobbly, the check engine light will come on if I drive at highway speeds for any length of time but go off when I switch it off. It will flash to show it is working when I try to start it now. Good idea on the earths. Thanks, bud.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The starter spins but the truck will not start. I think it is not getting fuel as I can spray starter fluid in the intake tube and it will try to crank.

Back