Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new awning - Alucab Shadow

Lorin

For the past 3 years I've wanted to get an Ostrich Wing awning as it doesn't require any legs. I then spoke to Stan at overlander.org who suggested I take a look at the Alucab Shadow. It appears Alucab designed their awning specifically to better the Ostrich Wing! Well, that was that. Stan kindly brought it to Lincomb where we then realised that mounting it was going to require some thought.... So, last weekend with some much appreciated help (cheers Toby :thumbup:) we finally got it attached.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Please excuse use the state of the roof tent cover (plastidip does not last!). I am very pleased with the awning. :icon-biggrin:

They are a fantastic bit of gear but no side panels for them, well not as I know of

They are a fantastic bit of gear but no side panels for them, well not as I know of

Interestingly there are Velcro strips at the edge of the awning on all sides which appear to be for side panels :think: I wonder if there are some in the pipeline..... I will ask Stan to enquire with Alucab as I would like some sides.

Great stuff!
glad to see its on there :clap:
Ill look into the sides, if alu cab dont do them i can get some made, just give me the dimensions and a photos of the velcro bits..do you ant them to zip together?

@lorin, that looks quite nice - not having to get legs down seems to be the way to go. And I believe if you need the poles, they are integrated into the support frame, so no faffing about.

one question though, you seem to have it mounted over driver side, is that just down to how you have the RTT setup ? I guess the 80 with its split boot is'nt a bit more forgiving around which side you put it up, unlike my 120 where the back door is a bit of a decision maker as to side.

...one question though, you seem to have it mounted over driver side, is that just down to how you have the RTT setup ?

Essentially yes. I've had the tent set-up to open over the passenger side for a while and wanted to keep it that way. I am very happy with the awning. I've had it set up in some moderately high winds, enough to be rocking the truck and it remains totally rigid. The awning itself has almost no flex in it and is clearly overbuilt. We sat under it watching a thunderstorm a few weeks ago and remained completely dry. The best bit is the ease of set-up - I just unzip the cover and release a couple of straps, walk the awning round and secure it. That is it. Putting it away is simply the reverse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have mine that way around too. Mostly driven by the position of the wheel carrier. Last time I built a carrier, I mounted it OS which meant it obscured the fog light needed for the UK. I then spent a month relocating all that in clever ways to pass the MOT. So this time I put the carrier NS so that it's still UK legal. Having the awning OS means that I don't have to walk around the carrier when the awning is up and I'm going back and forth to the driver's seat all the time.

The Foxwing sets up just as fast, as long as it's not windy! Been there, done that.

Nice awning. Wish I could get one, but it doesn't look like they have a supplier in USA yet.

Alu-cab awning

For the past 3 years I've wanted to get an Ostrich Wing awning as it doesn't require any legs. I then spoke to Stan at overlander.org who suggested I take a look at the Alucab Shadow. It appears Alucab designed their awning specifically to better the Ostrich Wing! Well, that was that. Stan kindly brought it to Lincomb where we then realised that mounting it was going to require some thought.... So, last weekend with some much appreciated help (cheers Toby :thumbup:) we finally got it attached.

View attachment 20050
View attachment 20051
View attachment 20052

Please excuse use the state of the roof tent cover (plastidip does not last!). I am very pleased with the awning. :icon-biggrin:

Hi lorin

Just wondering if you have any pics of the awning when it is packed up on the 80. Just trying to see where the awning sits at the rear and at the front.

What do you think of the material that they use versus say a canvas.

Do you find there is to much weight on at the rear of the awning where the awning swings open.

And how did you mount it.

Cheers.

I'll get some more pics up showing it packed up and the mounting - currently in France with very poor connection so will be a week or so. I'd recommend watching the video on the Alucab site as it may answer some of your questions.

@Lorin Just picked one of these up at the Overland show, do you have any pics or advice on getting it mounted?? I have a patriot roof rack with a 50mm side wall and just trying to figure out how to mount it?? Thanks Craig

They do a set of 'universal brackets' but tbh they are not that great. The key is to make sure the rear mounting where the hinge is is solid, that does all the work.​
I have a set of mountings for sale for the awning to fit an alu cab gen3 tent that might help?pm me if interested
Thanks

@Lorin Just picked one of these up at the Overland show, do you have any pics or advice on getting it mounted?? I have a patriot roof rack with a 50mm side wall and just trying to figure out how to mount it?? Thanks Craig

As Stan says, securely anchoring the rear mounting is essential. I fabbed up a HD bracket to mount mine to a dedicated roof bar. It also has a couple of additional mountings along the length - pics below.

IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG

They do a set of 'universal brackets' but tbh they are not that great. The key is to make sure the rear mounting where the hinge is is solid, that does all the work.​
I have a set of mountings for sale for the awning to fit an alu cab gen3 tent that might help?pm me if interested
Thanks
Thanks Stan let me have a look, think the bracket for the Frontrunner rack might fit the Patriot better.

As Stan says, securely anchoring the rear mounting is essential. I fabbed up a HD bracket to mount mine to a dedicated roof bar. It also has a couple of additional mountings along the length - pics below.

View attachment 149668 View attachment 149669 View attachment 149670
Thanks Lorin pictures they are very useful, big bracket seems the order

Back