Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

125 Horn Problem - any advice?

Landcruising

I've recently received a 2006 TD 125 Prado (the 3 door version). Despite a few years on the clock, it's working beautifully.

There's just one problem: the horn doesn't work.

I'm based in Africa, and it's hard to get decent horn advice out here - can anyone help me (bearing in mind I'm entry level in terms of car knowledge!) get to the bottom of the problem/help fix it?

Many thanks!

Hi LC, First check the 'Horn' fuse is not blown or poorly connecting.

If not the fuse, disconnect the wire from the terminal (I am assuming it is one terminal) and with a piece of wire from that horn terminal, touch the other end to the battery + terminal and see if it works. If it's a two terminal one then you will need to hook up two wires to it with the other one to the body of the car or the battery - .

If it doesn't work, there is usually a small screw partially screwed into the back of the horn. Note its position and gently rotate the screw back and forth and put it back to the original position. Try with the wire again and it SHOULD work. If you can fix the wire safely to the horn and battery terminal (perhaps get someone to hold it for you) while rotating the screw, this can work better as you then start to get sound from the horn.

If the horn works when you try the wire first off, then the fault could be with the switch in the steering wheel. Often they get corroded through lack of use. I have found that repeatedly pressing the horn by drumming on it (if you see what I mean) can help start getting some sound. Try this with the horn plugged back in, but check/clean any corrosion around the contact to the horn.

If neither of the above work, then it's a job for a multimeter and go through methodically checking each end of the wiring. Not sure on that truck if there is a 'horn relay' if there is, make sure it is plugged in properly, or try swapping it for its neighbour.

Good luck, I have rarely needed to do more than step one.

Richard

Last edited:
You're welcome, good luck with it.

Found the problem! I've got a faulty/broken Spiral Cable. Apparently it needs to be replaced. Where can I get parts for a 2006 Prado 125 diesel? Or are Spiral Cables much of a muchness?

1, Toyota
2, Amayama (mostly for imports)
3, Breakers yard

In order of cost (decreasing) and difficulty (increasing).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For a broken spiral cable a lot of stuff won't work - the ABS light should be on and your indicators won't work. If that's all gone I'd keep looking.

That's not to say it ISN'T the spiral cable as it has a lot on it just a bit weird if nothing's been done to it - usually happens when steering is disconnected and the steering wheel gets wound round too much :)

Without knowing that part specifically, I would expect it to have several wires in it. Unless it works on the same principal as the Smart car, which, it seems, has only two. Each button on the steering wheel has a set resistance which the fuse box recognises. A common problem is when some resistance creeps in and you start losing the controls. On the Smart, a quick clean of the connectors often sorts the problem.

If yours is a two wire set up, then it may be worth checking thugs out. Though, you did sound positive when you said you had found it so I am guessing you did find a break somewhere and the spiral has more than two wires (for the buttons that is).

Oh, add to my list above,

4, EBay.

Hi - thanks for your help with this.

I need a bit of further advice. Basically, the mechanics spent a good hour identifying why the horn wasnt working and checked all the fuses possible and connectors. In the end they checked the Spiral Cable and it was that. The mechanic said that the part itself needed to be replaced. I am based out in Ethiopia, so I've checked with a friend in the UK at an official Toyota dealership, who has said that a new Spiral Cable and they are quoting £340 for a replacement that will work for my 2006 Prado 125. The chap at Toyota said that it needs to be coded professionally, and isn't a simple swap in. Is that true? I am not sure the mechanics in Ethiopia know how to 'code' a Spiral Cable....

Should I buy it in the UK and import it and take the risk of a local mechanic fitting it? It's a lot of money to spend...or is the risk low?

Just so you know, the ABS light wasn't showing when it was installed, the only obvious problem that existed was that the horn didn't work at all.

What would you do?

Here's the part that's broken and needs to be replaced

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 13.44.30.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 13.44.30.png
    405.5 KB · Views: 364
Strange the coding bit. I broke mine (120 series - 2005) and got a replacement on eBay for about £120 and it was a simple replacement.

You could always add one of these mounted on the dashboard as a temporary solution.

button.jpg

TBH the 'coding' bit sounds suspect to me too. Fitted correctly yes, coding…really…a cable? I wouldn't know for sure but reading Gary's post I think if it were me, I'd be looking on eBay.

Last edited:
Here's one I think. Just check part numbers

EBay item 161675362627

And another

EBay item 301434950652

Last edited:
Hi chaps,

Thanks for the help and sorry for the delay in my response.

This whole coding thing sounds a bit dubious to you all, and as the car was from 2006 (pre-serious electronics), I think you're right to try out an ebay version and see where that gets me. Once again, excuse my ignorance about the following question, but i'd appreciate a final bit of advice!

How do I know which of the ebay versions are most likely to work? I know I should check the part numbers but I'm not having luck working out or matching them. Are you able to help? Below are the relevant images: one of the broken part number and the others of the official plate things.

To give a running example, Gary's example of ebay item: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/84306-600...4Runner-FJ-Cruiser-Land-Cruiser-/301434950652

Does that tally with any of the information or part number on the broken part? I can't seem to work it out...

Thanks

Rich

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 18.43.37.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 18.43.37.png
    241 KB · Views: 217
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 13.44.42.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 13.44.42.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 18.43.29.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 18.43.29.png
    343.8 KB · Views: 246
According to toyodiy.com that is the part number for a KDJ12* model (ie 120 and 125) for the years 2004 through 2009 and that's just the approval plate ;)

The part number you are looking for is, I think, 84306-60080 at about £200 from Mr T

But that might be for a 90 Series.

Investigating ...

Last edited:
Ah ok good news is its the same part so it's extremely likely a breaker will have one. In fact try Trevor on here as he is breaking a 95 and may be able to assist.

I do have a truck that I'll be breaking but that's not going to be anytime soon, just too busy with work at the moment. It'll be at least 4 to 6 weeks before I'll get chance to consider doing anything with it.

Thanks Trevor. Not to worry: I've ordered a part from ebay which should be here in a month or so. If that doesn't work I'll be in touch!

Back