Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ghillie Kettle

wobbly

Garage
Happy birthday to me.......

Got myself one of these chimney style kettles.

Should remove my reliance on aerosol style gas bottles for boiling water, theres an attachment for pots as well but havent got one yet.
6e2567203bda065d9fe8278b4320cd61.jpg

Great things, I use one exclusively whilst on trips for hot water supplies. I've got the pots as well but not used them yet

You'll love it. I'd get the optional carry bag for it as well though. They get a bit dirty and it's handy to keep a few sticks in too.

I throw a cheap pack of firelighting cubes in the bottom to get it lit a bit quicker :)

PS, Camel Crap is better than Goat as a fuel :D

Mines actually a Kelly kettle so no whistle but does have a bag

Did a test once (I used to run a DofE group) with a Kelly Kettle, Petrol stove, Meths and gas trangias... the Kelly boiled a fraction slower than the petrol stove!

Love it, but mine's sitting in the shed back in the UK....

Tumble dryer lint is also a good firestarter, and the other one is cotton wool balls rubbed in vaseline.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Used for first time today, I cant recall ever enjoying boiling water, but now.......

Mrs W not happy about black hole burnt in grass, but she'll be singing a different tune come the zombie apocalypse!

Surprised by heat through chimney, like a little jet engine, will get the pot stand as well - just have to consider stability.

Silver Birch bark is a classic fire lighter.

And there is a set of pots too ....

Used for first time today, I cant recall ever enjoying boiling water, but now.......

Mrs W not happy about black hole burnt in grass, but she'll be singing a different tune come the zombie apocalypse!

Surprised by heat through chimney, like a little jet engine, will get the pot stand as well - just have to consider stability.

Imagine the extra joy when using on a long trip trying exotic fuels from foreign lands :D

Can you get one that works in Scotland where all potential fuel/kindling is soaked through thanks to the seemingly endless pissing rain!!

The trick is to stack the fuel inside whilst somewhere drier, ie Niagara Falls, then take it with you.....

Ahh, TP sounds like you bought the wrong model. They do a special gas version for Scotland

Ahh, TP sounds like you bought the wrong model. They do a special gas version for Scotland

That's the one I want!, or maybe I'll just stick with my beloved Coleman DF stove. Seriously though, I guess there's some boy scout novelty appeal with these wood burning stoves but if you have to carry dry fuel around I can't see the point. Obviously far more practicable in hotter/dryer climates. JMO

If it's any consolation, we're not exactly in the middle of a heatwave here either. South Yorkshire Government have announced an end to the hosepipe ban in Totley today.

Got one, love it, no big deal to prepare the fuel, or carry it, less than a fistful of 6 inch 3/4 inch ( very roughly) cut sticks to every boil, means loadsa boils for a carrier bag of wood, when me and the Duch are going to somewhere reasonably remote like the Pyrrenees, it goes to. Comment about the dirty they get, I use the washing up water with a green fleece thingy, comes up really well, and clean!, the top " saucepan" gets rather hot in use, well I suppose it would eh?
have fun,

Last edited:
Got one, love it, no big deal to prepare the fuel, or carry it, less than a fistful of 6 inch 3/4 inch ( very roughly) cut sticks to every boil, means loadsa boils for a carrier bag of wood, when me and the Duch are going to somewhere reasonably remote like the Pyrrenees, it goes to. Comment about the dirty they get, I use the washing up water with a green fleece thingy, comes up really well, and clean!, the top " saucepan" gets rather hot in use, well I suppose it would, eh?
have fun,

Clean it? sorry, no, not done that, exposure to germs keeps the immune system in good order :D

Theres one you can clean? No, I got the other one.

Back