Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Final checks before a big trip?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
We're heading off on a relatively big (3,000+ mile) trip in a few weeks' time; apart from the obvious fluid levels and lights, what other checks do you do before you head off? The car is a 12 valve 4.2TD 80-Series, if that makes any difference. I'm not talking about big jobs you can do, just checks around the vehicle to make sure it will make the distance! :)

Cheers,

Mike

I take it when u say fluid levels you also include greasing the running gear!?

I take it when u say fluid levels you also include greasing the running gear!?

Nope, was more thinking engine oil, brake fluid, screenwash, etc.... What do you grease on the running gear before a trip?

Grease all the prop U/J's for a start and anywhere on the steering ball joints if they have nipples. I would look at my brake pads to see how much meat they have left on them

I would take a 12, 14, 17, 19, 22 and 24 mm spanner / socket and just systematically check every fastening underneath. Now, this is based on the fact that I have virtually stripped and re built mine so I have had all the nuts and bolts off at some point and it's possible to overlook tightening something. I'll confess that I have once or twice in the past. I'd be looking at drain plugs, shocker mounts, especially rear lower ones. ARB links, bash plate fixings, brake caliper bolts etc etc.

If you have never had them apart well they might still be factory tight or of course about to fall off. But I am presuming that your trip preparation has taken these items into account in your build.

What would you grease? Err props?

Depends on the type of trip your undertaking, but for a start I would get the truck over a pit or up on a ramp and check brake lines for cracks, prop UJ's, suspension bushes, shock absorbers for possible leakage, shock absorbers bushes, get a toffee hammer and check nut and bolts for tightness, if going off road have a good look around your front axle for cracks on the sway bar brackets and panard link brackets......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think that this is a truck that has been through all that Charlie. It's prepped. This is just suggestions for a final check before lift off. Too late if the suspension is shot.

I think that this is a truck that has been through all that Charlie. It's prepped. This is just suggestions for a final check before lift off. Too late if the suspension is shot.
Chris, sorry but before I set off on a big trip no matter what has been charged, replaced or overhauled this is what I do....... so far I've always made it home too. But hey up to Mike, this is just my humble opinion...........

And so would I Charlie, but that is not the question in the thread title. It's not what preparation should I do to my 80 for a long trip? This is about turning off the gas, cancelling the papers and locking the front door.

And so would I Charlie, but that is not the question in the thread title. It's not what preparation should I do to my 80 for a long trip? This is about turning off the gas, cancelling the papers and locking the front door.
If that's the case, I must have misunderstood final checks before the big trip........

Testicles, spectacles, wallet and watch.................................anything else can be sorted on the road

Seriously though, full service, all fluid levels, then a good check round anything that could stop you in your tracks. Having had rear dampers shear and a axle bracket snap off I check all the suspensions mounts, brackets etc, brake pads/lines, battery condition. And then I check the critical stuff.....................beer

On a ferry returning after a 4500 mile trip. Before I left I did the following:

Oil&Filter
Diesel filter
Air filter
Grease all drivetrain points
visual check of bushings and underside incl brakes.
Washer fluid and coolant/fluids check under the bonnet

Other than that I trust the truck completely, and anything serious would be known as it's a daily driver.
Apart from the hot transfer box in high air temperatures (and a heavy boot) no issues. Peace of mind for a hundred quid of prep

Thanks all. Can someone give me some pointers on 'greasing all the drivetrain points' on an 80-series? Not something I've ever done before, but then most of my previous vehicles have been a lot younger/newer!

There is different grease for different areas. It's worth getting a grease gun with a flexible hose (small guns are great for tight locations) and then pump until you can see a little grease oozing out of the adjacent flange.

OK there are two principal greasing points. The UJ and the slip joint..

You can pump as much grease as you like into the yoke. This is the nipple that is hidden inside the cross made by the spider inside the two lobes of the drive shaft. But the second grease point serves the thin bit of the shaft going into the thick bit of the shaft. This requires very little grease. It's basically a splined sliding joint. If you pump loads of grease in, it packs it so hard it can't slide any more. So,, this nipple is outside the UJ on the collar of the sliding bit. Put the grease gun in there and give it a pump. 2. 3. that's enough. Stop. Unless you split the joint and clean it out completely, you don't know what's in there. Max three pumps is enough. I'd only give it two. If you see the joint actually expand then you've put too much in. In which case undo the nipple, take it out and drive for a day and stick it back in before you set camp.

You have got lots of space under there to work, so a regular sized gun with a cranked end will see you right. No need for a flexible on the 80.

OK, all the points I can see are greased, thanks!

What else?

Mike, just go! Jeez.

:lol:

There is different grease for different areas. It's worth getting a grease gun with a flexible hose (small guns are great for tight locations) and then pump until you can see a little grease oozing out of the adjacent flange.

So what grease is needed for the UJ and slip joint? I reckon I should do mine before I head to the south of France...

Back