Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ Won't start

texyoung

Country Flag
united_states
Just purchased this 1973 FJ40. Put in a new battery and replaced corroded cable ends. Tried to start it and just got a couple of clicks and nothing else. Figured to be bad solenoid. Purchased a re manufactured starter w/solenoid. The new starter has a battery post, 1 connection on the solenoid and what looks like a ground terminal on the bottom of the starter. I connected the wire from the FJ to the solenoid terminal. Tried to start it and got nothing. I had lights, wipers, etc. Then I took that wire off and connected it to the other terminal on the starter. Bad idea. When I tried to start it, it clicked once and blew a fuse. It also melted a wire that came off the + side of the battery and I had no lights, etc. I replaced the fuses and the wire and the lights, etc work again. I put the FJ wire back on the solenoid. Still no clicks or anything from the starter when turning the key. I then tried to jump the starter by holding a screwdriver on the Battery cable post of the starter and the solenoid terminal and all I got was sparks, no movement of the starter. The first time I tried to start it before I replaced the starter it was at least clicking some. Not doing anything now with new starter. Any suggestions?

Was the wire coming off the + battery cable the fuse-able link? Is the fuse-able link just a wire, no fuse?

Any help is much appreciated!

fuseable link.jpgFuse2.jpgThe fuseable link act's like a fuse! some are wire(with a certain amperage rateing) others are like a piece of steel. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Without a pick to see what wires and terminals you have it is a little hard to work out what is going on. as it all stands the best I can offer is look for starter wiring diagrams for your model (all of that year should be the same) and try to work from there.

Just had a quick look myself and you should have terminal with a nut(that's mains from Battery). There should be two other terminals one is for the wire from the ignition( I think its BW) the other goes up to your dash. All of the terminals should be of different sizes. You should also have an earth cable from the starter bolt(lower) to the vehicle chassis. Ensure all joins are clean and free from paint and debris. I hope some of this helps a little.
If I was at home I would be able to help more as that's were my books and FJ45 are located.

Thanks for your help. There were only two wires connected to the existing starter. The main Battery cable and one other wire. The new starter has the same two wire connections, but also has what looks like a ground (earth) terminal on the bottom of it. There is also a ground strap that it is connected from one of the starter bolts to the chassis. I will double-check that those are clean and try again. Assuming all of that is connected correctly, any other ideas about what might be wrong?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back