Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Squeaks and rattles, do you live with them?

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
Hi All,

On a 23 year old 80 one should expect noises from interior stuff loosening up, so what do you do, live with them or track them down ruthlessly and eliminate them. Body noises are never easy to solve, stuff under the car a bit easier.

Travelling the lesser graded surfaces here in the mountains of the southern highlands of Tanzania gets the squeaks really rocking!!

I hear ya Steve, it a focus of mine too especially the windows when half down. Living with these like you but want to address to have a clean free squeaks & rattles feel on day. Something's I love when getting into a new car...lol
Hope you get it right to enjoy the vehicle as it should drive & feel [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a bit spoilt with a new Ranger double-cab but it has also started to "loosen up" after only 11000km's. We see tar maybe once a month when we go shopping....

A pet hate - track them down and fix or eliminate. Not the easiest with noises that seem to come 'from the dash area' but could be anywhere.

Start but getting SWMBO out the truck lol

Hate them!! I have some that are easily fixable for example the loose dashboard surround, Karl is sending me over some bits and pieces hopefully soon, and I have asked for a bag of screws to hold everything together.

21 years old or not I will not put up with anything out of place in fact, I think I am getting worse as I get older!!

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've found a lot of vibes generate annoying rattles behind the dash, especially wiring looms and components bound into the loom getting close to plastic. It's worth a rummage if you get annoying rattles on tick-over for example, or when doing low gear high torque maneuvers.

Pinching up door slams and such like is quite easy, and tailgates seem to rattle if the hinge pins have too much play in them.

Just go looking for them, with a wedge of thin foam wrap sheet, it's great for wiring rattles.

Eish! Find one and another starts! These roads are hell. Might be cheaper to get ear-plugs!

I got a simple way of dealing with rattles, I turn my hearing aids down and the stereo up. :lol:

I had THE most annoying squeak on my 80 from day 1. I reckoned that's why the original owner sold it. The most frustrating thing was that you could get the squeak by simply bracing your back against the seat and pushing the steering wheel, or pulling it. WTF. Completely loud but even though I could produce the squeak at will I could not trace it. No other movement would produce the squeak. I pushed/pulled everything under the dash, in the seat, even stripped the door in tears. Then I simply pressed the door light switch and bingo it squeaked. one drop of oil under the gaiter and gone. The slightest movement in the body was enough to move the dry plunger which squeaked. Good thing it did it with the door open!

Have to fix them, spend a lot of time at work sorting rattles and creaks etc so have to sort my own! Need to stop the load gaurd creaking against the drawers as it drives me nuts off road lol.

Back