Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

For Sale 1998 80 series Landcruiser 4.2TD GX manual

Neil Stone

Greetings forum members, I'm selling my Landcruiser and would love to see it picked up by an enthusiast and run for another decade or two. I'm selling because I don't use it enough. I was a stone mason, this was my tow vehicle but I gave up the masonry business 4 years ago.
The vehicle is in reasonable condition overall with a few scrappy marks that bring it down. The vehicle has benefitted from regular visits to Overland Cruisers and has received a few modifications and is mechanically sound.
EDIT I've had the cruiser for 8 years and it will be a big miss, but I can't justify the expense of having two vehicles.

It is a 1997 GX manual 4.2TD
Mileage 153,666 (subject to change)

Good bits.
Serviced for past 3 years by Overland Cruisers, no expense spared.
Old Man Emu suspension with 2” lift including shocks.
Air bag support on rear springs for heavy loads.
Alisport Intercooler.
Stainless Steel 3” exhaust.
All diff locks work !!!
Dinitrol treated.
New Callipers all round (in past 3 years or so) along with discs.
Good stereo head unit.
Rear LED work light.
New Aircon unit fitted and re-gassed last year.
HID headlamps.
Heated windscreen wash.
3 jet nossels on windscreen washer.
New window rubbers on doors.
EDIT New wiper mechanism
New windscreen and rubber (no leaks or leeks)
Bad Bits
Tailgate needs attention, it's rusting quite badly and will need new metal or replacement (I have a spare rear window rubber included in the sale)
Usual scuffs on corners
Dent in rear quarter panel due to swinging arm for spare wheel coming open on a corner "I thought I'd closed it ! "
Drivers seat could do with a little extra padding
One of the front speakers needs replacing
Front nearside headlamp is holed and will need replacing.
Wheels are Toyota, but not sure what from.
Arial mast is stuck in up position.
Edit Lacquer on drivers side wing is coming away due to acidic bird poo (what were these birds eating?)
£6k and it's yours !!

PM with any questions.
Location: far North of Scotland, can arrange for it to be seen elsewhere by mutual agreement.
I've priced this to sell.
It will go on eBay, auto trader etc but forum members get the first look.
Julian at Overland thought it could be worth up to £8k with the mods but I think £7k would be fair due to the tailgate and scruffy bits. But at £6k it is a really good buy.

I also have a double axel Ifor Williams tipper trailer for sale if anyones interested.

Thanks for looking
Neil
IMG_0170.JPGIMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0161.JPGIMG_0162.JPGIMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0164.JPGIMG_0165.JPGIMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0163.JPGIMG_0175.JPGIMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0172.JPGIMG_0173.JPG

Last edited:
I'll get the cruiser over a pit today and do some underside shots so you can see how it's looking.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wish you well in your sale.
Looks good.
I think the Africa unrest has had a negative impact on our Cruiser prices, from a couple of years ago.

Gra

Good luck with the sale Neil, it looks pretty standard 18 year old 80 fare. I think the price allows someone to spend a bit and bring it up to spec and still be on the right side moneywise. IMO the 97-98 year ones are the ones to have, twin air bags, best gearbox etc. With what you have added it looks like good value to me.

Neil, thanks for the photos! :thumbup: really considering it

Good luck with the sale Neil, it looks pretty standard 18 year old 80 fare. I think the price allows someone to spend a bit and bring it up to spec and still be on the right side moneywise. IMO the 97-98 year ones are the ones to have, twin air bags, best gearbox etc. With what you have added it looks like good value to me.

So the 97/98 models have a different manual gearbox to my 96 80? which box does a 97/98 have? the same one in the 100 series?

Wish you well in your sale.
Looks good.
I think the Africa unrest has had a negative impact on our Cruiser prices, from a couple of years ago.

Gra

So the 97/98 models have a different manual gearbox to my 96 80? which box does a 97/98 have? the same one in the 100 series?

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
I had not considered the African demand effecting prices........

Agurirre:
It's gonna sell real soon, currently sitting at £3.6k on ebay.
I'll accept £5k and close the auction. but you'll have to be quick. I work from home, so if you wish to view, let me know.

Cheers
Neil

Looks like a good "honest" warts-n-all description there Neil. It looks good underneath too, so many are really rusty. Good luck with the sale.:thumbup:

Thanks Clive !
Yeah it is 'warts n all' it's the only way for me. I'd hate to have anyone travel to see the cruiser just to be disappointed (I do live a long way North).
So yeah, it's all laid bare.
If I could afford to keep it, I would. I love it, spent a lot on it too.
But alas, it has to go along with my wonderful tipper trailer.

cheers Neil

Thanks Clive !
Yeah it is 'warts n all' it's the only way for me. I'd hate to have anyone travel to see the cruiser just to be disappointed (I do live a long way North). So yeah, it's all laid bare.
If I could afford to keep it, I would. I love it, spent a lot on it too. But alas, it has to go along with my wonderful tipper trailer. cheers Neil

Thats sad, Neil, I'm planning on my 80 outliving me, so the thought of selling it would fill me with dread! :icon-surprised:

Yes, the second gear synchromesh was modified to give a better 3rd to 2nd gearchange. I think the changeover came at the time the GX was introduced and the GS discontinued. I have a 95 GS and the gearchange 3rd to 2nd is poor although its only done 88k but my late 96 GX Amazon has a perfect box and is a pleasure to drive with 188k on it. I think it was about the time they were badged "Amazon" and had the passenger airbag introduced.
I think thats about the gist of it and I think the 100 manual box is fundamentally the same.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
I had not considered the African demand effecting prices........

Agurirre:
It's gonna sell real soon, currently sitting at £3.6k on ebay.
I'll accept £5k and close the auction. but you'll have to be quick. I work from home, so if you wish to view, let me know.

Cheers
Neil
i probably couldnt stretch to £5k, even if i liked to its a shame because im not far from inverness too. its just im at a cross roads with my own with because its failed its pre-mot, requiring welding on various parts of the sills (inner and outer):angry-cussing::pray:

i probably couldnt stretch to £5k, even if i liked to its a shame because im not far from inverness too. its just im at a cross roads with my own with because its failed its pre-mot, requiring welding on various parts of the sills (inner and outer):angry-cussing::pray:

Ah well, no worries Aguirre, it is a shame as you are so close relatively speaking. But thanks for prompting me to post pictures of the underside etc.
If you do change your mind, it's got 2 days to go on eBay, still sitting at £3.6k.
PM me if you change your mind.
Cheers
Neil

Back