Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another MPG question .......sorry

Overcruiser

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys names Alex, I've been researching various sources that state the MPG on the 4.2td can be around 23mpg depending on how heavy your foot is, now is that figure the same for 80 series and a 1998 100 series? Did the engines change much when the 100 came out?

Thanks in advance:icon-wink:

The 100 got the 1HD-FTE - main difference is electronic fuel pump and an intercooler. So theoretically just as good consumption but more oomph and tied to an older auto box so probably not the best combination.

Someone who really knows will be along no doubt...

If it's any help i only ever got around 19ish out of my 94 12v.

No idea what MPG is but I got 14.4litres / 100km on my 24v 1HD-FT with drawers roof tent and food and luggage for 2 for 2 weeks. Chuffed with that coz we weren't going slowly....

No idea what MPG is but I got 14.4litres / 100km on my 24v 1HD-FT with drawers roof tent and food and luggage for 2 for 2 weeks. Chuffed with that coz we weren't going slowly....

If it's any help i only ever got around 19ish out of my 94 12v.

thanks for your advice, i think i've established from a MPG point of view i should look at 12v manuals (also from a torque point of view)

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when my 94 auto 12v 80 intercooled consumption worked out as 22.75 mpg but I had been driving like a granny. :oops:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 24 valve 4.2/80 manual does 28 mpg at 65 mph. On a very long run in France once I got over 30 mpg and returned an average of 28 mpg on a 3000 mile trip.

My 24 valve 4.2/100 auto 5spd performs about the same.

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when my 94 auto 12v 80 intercooled consumption worked out as 22.75 mpg but I had been driving like a granny. :oops:

ok cool so hopefully i could get 25 with a manual, i do love autos though, i had a hilux surf 3L auto that was a good pairing

I plan on whacking on a steinbauer box so prehaps i could get more due to not having to hit the pedal as hard

ok cool so hopefully i could get 25 with a manual, i do love autos though, i had a hilux surf 3L auto that was a good pairing

I plan on whacking on a steinbauer box so prehaps i could get more due to not having to hit the pedal as hard

I don't think you will be getting 25mpg from a 12v manual unless you are keeping it absolutely stock standard and driving very gently. There's a few people who reckon they can and less that reckon they get more but it appears a more realistic majority reckon 20-22mpg is more normal with a few mods. I get 20mpg driving very gently and 17-18mpg keeping up with the traffic - that's with slightly bigger tyres, a lift and a roof tent.

80 Series won't do a Steinbauer AFAIK - it's all manual. Not sure about on the earlier 100 either really

I don't think you will be getting 25mpg from a 12v manual unless you are keeping it absolutely stock standard and driving very gently. There's a few people who reckon they can and less that reckon they get more but it appears a more realistic majority reckon 20-22mpg is more normal with a few mods. I get 20mpg driving very gently and 17-18mpg keeping up with the traffic - that's with slightly bigger tyres, a lift and a roof tent.

ok thanks for your input :icon-smile:

80 Series won't do a Steinbauer AFAIK - it's all manual. Not sure about on the earlier 100 either really

sorry gary what do you mean 80 series won't do a steinbauer afaik? do you mean steinbauer don't do one for the 80 series?

thanks

Both - and could well be wrong - but there's nothing electronic to re-map on an 80 Series - manual pump and no electronics. Most tweaks I've read about revolve around manual adjustment of the fuelling and installing an intercooler.

Both - and could well be wrong - but there's nothing electronic to re-map on an 80 Series - manual pump and no electronics. Most tweaks I've read about revolve around manual adjustment of the fuelling and installing an intercooler.

I got a link here for a 4.2td for the 100 series http://www.steinbauer.cc/gb/products/passenger/toyota/landcruiser-100/42-td-lt0601-150kw__3nj/9Jd/

they also do one for the 70 series http://www.steinbauer.cc/gb/products/passenger/toyota/landcruiser-70/45-td-151kw__3ge/9WF/

the 80 isn't listed but not sure how they can skip it, when i rang them a week ago to talk about a hilux pickup he stated they also provide for the gen3 hilux surf which are 1996 onwards and thats not on there website, so i think they provide for more then they let on

im gonna ring them and find out and update this thread

All different motors. The 80 is a basic 4.2 straight 6 agricultural engine. The later 70s and Surfs are all electronic 3.0 turbo diesels so can be re-mapped. Same as the 90 Series and then obviously the d-4D motors too. Nothing to do with the year really - all to do with the power plant and management system or lack thereof ...

My 24v (on standard suspension,tyre sizes etc) just returned 21mpg towing the 1.5t caravan to Scotland and back at motorway speeds. General running around or 'normal, driving gives mid to high 20's consistently. Driving with economy in mind can get over 30. Don't be put off the later 24v versions by the alleged better torque of the 12v models. The 1HD-FT was set quite lean low down from the factory and is easily tweaked for more low down torque/response beyond that of the older 12v 1HD-T. JMO

All different motors. The 80 is a basic 4.2 straight 6 agricultural engine. The later 70s and Surfs are all electronic 3.0 turbo diesels so can be re-mapped. Same as the 90 Series and then obviously the d-4D motors too. Nothing to do with the year really - all to do with the power plant and management system or lack thereof ...

Ok i didn't know this, so are you saying the 80 4.2td has no ecu?

My 24v (on standard suspension,tyre sizes etc) just returned 21mpg towing the 1.5t caravan to Scotland and back at motorway speeds. General running around or 'normal, driving gives mid to high 20's consistently. Driving with economy in mind can get over 30. Don't be put off the later 24v versions by the alleged better torque of the 12v models. The 1HD-FT was set quite lean low down from the factory and is easily tweaked for more low down torque/response beyond that of the older 12v 1HD-T. JMO

yes i have heard of the fuel pump mod, think that would be beyond my mechanical skills

Back