Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting an Air Locker to a '90' front diff ??

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
I have been asked to re-furbish another Transfer Box (no probs, I've done a few), but the owner has also asked me to fit an Air-Locker (that he has) to his front diff.

Now, my understanding is that the front axles/diffs on '90s' are considered a bit weak and this is not recommended - an LSD is as far as one should go.

I have declined to do this and have advised him to research the subject more as it could end in tears.

Has anyone done this, does it work, is the "weak diff" reputation just a myth ??

I'd be interested in peoples' thoughts (and pictures).

Over to you :icon-wink:.

Bob.

I fitted on to LilBlue and never had a problem
Better speak to the subsequent two owners on just how they managed to shag it up ha ha
It's not that they are weak really you just need to know when and how to use it

No problems with the diff or using the locker during my tenure. Engaging it and hitting the loud pedal willy nilly won't do any diff much good same as trying to use it when the front wheels are turned.

I use it as an aid to traction temporarily and infrequently but driving with mechanical sympathy is good practice.

Now trees on the other hand............

I think what Trevor is trying to say is if it can survive his use it can't be all that bad!

Sorry Trev my mistake. It was the OTHER cruiser that I owned previously that you broke [emoji3]

I fitted on to LilBlue and never had a problem.

Thanks Chris.

Is there a thread somewhere covering the installation or, failing that, do you still have pictures ??

I'd rather not start messing around (at the bottom of a long learning curve) with someone else's truck. If it was mine it would be different :lol:.

Cheers.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bob it was a very long time ago
I had D44 actually fit the carrier etc then I installed it so there's little I can tell you
Fitting it to the diff is the critical bit and has to be done right hence me leaving it to a workshop it involved shine and at that point I passed out[emoji12]

:lol: :lol:

It seems that my decision to keep away from it was the right one (it happens occasionally) :icon-cool:.

Bob.

Back