Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just fitted a set of toyo at plus tyres

HiUp

Country Flag
uk
I have just fitted a new set of tyres to my KDJ120. They are TOYO 'AT PLUS' 265 65 112H.

They have 9mm of chunky tread as new and I have read that they are pretty good in mud snow and are fairly quiet on the road.

Too early to give any feed back as yet. They cost £103.00 per tyre fitted balanced and inclusive of all charges - so finger crossed.

They came out well in all the tests I could find on them. Government ratings are E - E - and 71dB.

Anybody have knowledge of them?

Peter

They seem popular in singapore. Seen them on various suv's there. So i guess their wet performance would have been better than an E

I will post an update after I get a few miles on them.

I compared the Government ratings of the Toyo's with the Dunlop Grandtreks that were on my beast when I bought it and they were rated as are E - F - and 73dB. So the Toyo's look slightly better.

I know that these figures are only a guide and that there are many more aspects of a tyres performance that should be considered. I don't really go 'off road' (yet) but I hope to maintain the fuel economy that I got from the Grantreks. I hardly ever got less than 27 mpg 'round town' and 32 to 35mpg cruising at about 80 mph on motorways. My beast is a 2004 KDJ120 LC5 (auto) Stock with approaching 100,000 miles on the clock - and I love it:icon-biggrin:

What pressure are you runnin at ? I tweaked around a bit and have settled on 2.3psi all around on the dunlops.

These tyres look pretty hard to destroy just doing regular road bashing.

I ran the Dunlop's at 2.0bar or 30psi as advised by the sticker on the drivers door closure. The Toyo's were set by the tyre shop at 32psi - but I think they just guessed the pressure. I will let them settle for a few days then I will set them at 30psi and see how they go from there - unless I get some advice from anyone with experience!

I've only done about 100 miles on them so far. They are quieter than the Dunlop's and the ride seems 'softer' - but that's probably 'cause they are new.

The thing that made me take the plunge now was a puncture. A nice 1/2 inch bolt though the middle of one of my rear tyres. Too big to repair. Of my existing tyres the spare was odd and worn and the others were all good (6mm of tread all round) but showed some signs of mild cracking near some of the treads. I wanted some tyres that would give reasonable traction off road and would also offer some reasonable grip in snow. The Toyo's are reported to do that. AT £103 each I thought they might be worth a shot.

Time will tell:pray:

When I went from road tyres to General Grabber ATs, I lost about 10 - 15% fuel economy which I put down to the chunky tread. So I ramped up the pressure to between 37 and 39 psi after reading other posts on the subject and that clawed back that mpg loss.

4 years on with 60k miles on those GG ATs and I have had no problems. The tread wear doesn't seem uneven either, contrary to what I might have expected.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I will post an update after I get a few miles on them.

I compared the Government ratings of the Toyo's with the Dunlop Grandtreks that were on my beast when I bought it and they were rated as are E - F - and 73dB. So the Toyo's look slightly better.

I know that these figures are only a guide and that there are many more aspects of a tyres performance that should be considered. I don't really go 'off road' (yet) but I hope to maintain the fuel economy that I got from the Grantreks. I hardly ever got less than 27 mpg 'round town' and 32 to 35mpg cruising at about 80 mph on motorways. My beast is a 2004 KDJ120 LC5 (auto) Stock with approaching 100,000 miles on the clock - and I love it:icon-biggrin:
Even marie biscuits or cotton reels are better than the Dunlop Grand Treks. Pile of crap.

Toyo ATs are used a lot here too as well as in southern Africa and seem pretty popular

So - I have done a few thousand miles on my TOYO 'AT PLUS' 265 65 112H tyres now and can give my impression. They are quieter than my previous General Grabber ATs - have plenty of 'feel' and give a soft ride. They have not altered my fuel consumption (regular average 27.5MPG for general speeds of 50mph stop and start motoring and motorway speeds of 75+mph).

They are mud and snow rated (as were the General Grabbers). I cant comment on those abilities yet, but snow is promised so who knows.

They look quite good and at £103 each fitted - I'm pleased with my purchase. Hope this helps :icon-biggrin:

Hi, I've got exactly the same set up on my 125 swb. I had a set f toyo AT 11 on a Pajero 8 years ago and was very impressed. I do quite a few klms on gravel roads and the wedge shaped tread blocks are very efficient at ejecting stones. Great tyres at a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I went from road tyres to General Grabber ATs, I lost about 10 - 15% fuel economy which I put down to the chunky tread. So I ramped up the pressure to between 37 and 39 psi after reading other posts on the subject and that clawed back that mpg loss.

4 years on with 60k miles on those GG ATs and I have had no problems. The tread wear doesn't seem uneven either, contrary to what I might have expected.

Interesting point, My GG ATs have been on about a year, didnt notice any significant drop in economy, they are brilliant in snow (not sure if its the car or the tyres but i never got stuck wherever i went!)
Might try pumping mine up a bit higher!
Simon

Last edited:
Back