Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake adjustment and Binding when Wheel Tightened

Boaf 32

Country Flag
united_states
Cruisers,

My 1972 FJ Soft top has new front brakes on them. I took the drums off to inspect and everything looks right. I adjusted the tension on the pads, put the drum back on, turned them by hand and they had good tension on them.

Put the wheels back on and began to tighten the wheel and the drums would not spin:angry-screaming:.. What's up with that? Is this normal for a Land Cruiser? It almost makes me believe that the shoes are too wide, being pinched but there is no scoring of the drum (previous owner installed these). They are Beck / Arnley. Picture of Shoes, Part Numbers and Pistons.

I'm going to the auto parts store this weekend to see if they have shoes so I can compare.

Can anyone comment? Thanks.

Bob

Attachments

• Brake Shoes Part Number - Box.jpg
    Brake Shoes Part Number - Box.jpg
    898.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Brake Shoes 1.jpg
    Brake Shoes 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
  • Brake Shoes Part Number.jpg
    Brake Shoes Part Number.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
All, Identified what appears to be the issue, tons of grime has built up and think it is binding the wheel. Heading to the auto parts store for more de-greaser and hopefully resolve the binding.

Damn it, still not smooth. Looking for other ideas. Thanks Boaf

This might sound stupid!
But if the brake shoes can be adjusted with the wheel on(My 1984 FJ can be), Try backing the shoes off completely then tighten the wheel nuts, If she spins free(hopefully) then adjust your shoe's out till they touch then back in one click.
Also check to see if you have a lot of wear in the drum might be playing havoc as well!
I hope that may bee that will help!

Thanks Nekros. Yes the shoes are adjustable with the wheels on, did that. I am thinking in line with what you said. The drums may be the culprit. Will swap out the passenger front and driver front drum to test. If it Binds, still have the problem. If not, vundeba, will cut or replace the drum. Let you know.

Boaf

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back