Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Legality of Bull Bars and Winch Bumpers UK

Bodie

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Chris,
Sorry to be a pain, you shouldn't be so knowledgeable....
Can you point me in the right direction please.
I've been searching for a thread on the legality of bull bars - (for example - the ARB's that you have on your 80).... I know the law has changed over the last few years, but there are 100's, probably 1000's of 4x4's on the UK roads with derivatives this type of bumper.
Is there a thread that can offer some clarification on the subject, or perhaps you may know what the rules are regarding the UK law & insurance?
regards
J.

If I remember from when I did some research the hoop is frowned upon and to meet requirements you have to have a winch.

Might be different now though

If I remember from when I did some research the hoop is frowned upon and to meet requirements you have to have a winch.

Might be different now though

I fitted an ARB winch bar two years ago. I got loads of conflicting advice and couldn't find anything definitive though the drift of it was that bullbars are illegal and a winch bar requires a winch to be there. My insurer also told me that I needed a winch to be legal.

I fitted an ARB winch bar two years ago. I got loads of conflicting advice and couldn't find anything definitive though the drift of it was that bullbars are illegal and a winch bar requires a winch to be there. My insurer also told me that I needed a winch to be legal.

Thanks guys.....
Interesting, I wonder if the winch fitment offers an exemption??
Need to look into it a bit more, because I here more and more stories of insurance companies looking for any excuse not to settle claims, but more importantly, the legal implications if the bumper is deemed to have caused an injury, then it could be criminal proceedings aswell.!!

Out of interest, is your insurer one of the major organisations or a small outfit?

J.

Sorry Bodie. Been away. I can't really tell you much other than a winch bumper isn't a bull bar and it's bull bars that were affected. It's also only applicable to newer vehicles I understand or at least the date that they were fitted. I do seem to recall that a winch bumper must also have a winch actually fitted.

Whos the deciding authority on this whole bumper thing ? The DVLA ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Probably VOSA and the M.O.Transport

iirc the legislation terminology is for frontal protection systems. I think when you add a winch the excuse is that the bumper is primarily a winch mount not an fps. It's a grey area, the courts will be the deciding authority.

Spoke to DVSA that seems to have replaced the vosa.

Was 'handed over' a few times before they found someone who could answer my question. And he basically said that if the vehicle front impact characteristics are changed from the manuf specs, the vehicle needs to go through an IVA examination to verify its still road legal. He did say that if the manufacturer of the mod does this, makes its easier for folks to claim a 'common / established' path and not need an IVA.

Would not go into the rgulations itself. And did not want to address the winch issue either but did say that someone is going to write me with the details.

He did mention going back to 'speak with the vehicle manufacturers', to confirm if internal safety of passengers isnt 'changed'.

I asked him about insurance companies being ok with the mods and he again completely backed off from commenting.

This guy would make a good politician. He didnt really answer any questions, was completely noncommital, yet completed the call with ease and setup a followup with low expectations.

Btw, got back from the US last Saturday. Was in a&e with a severe case of food poisioning (yay chicago airport food!), signed off from work for 2 weeks due to complications. So just hanging about, time to kill. Happy to keep chasing this bumper thread.

Your motor reg personnel there sound similar to our own. They must attend similar training.
"Say nothing that might bite you on the arse later".
I guess it's the world we live in now and their non-committal language reflects what is no doubt applicable to any individual situation...... No matter what your bar and vehicle has in stickers, certificates, ratings or inspections, someone can still sue your butt for all its worth if they feel so inclined. Whether they are successful or not, the inconvenience and costs make us all think twice.

You sure you didn't phone Microsoft in error???

Interesting to see what they say. Fairly sure there are regs available online if you want search. Frontal impact protection search string might help

Hi, I have a ARB bullbar fitted. Insured with Admiral and have bullbars specified as additions to the vehicle. No issues. Was also looking into this when i bought the lc as it was already fitted, and no clear info from DVLA. I figure if it passes an MOT it can't be illegal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It can be illegal and stil pass an MOT, also, it's tha matter of if insurance companies will cover it (which if you declared it one would assume they will, but get it in writing) It became illegal to sell or fit bullbars after a certain date that I can't remember unless they are type approved (namely manufacturer approved and don't negativelt change the impact characteristics of the vehicle). It's less to do with protection of the occupants, more pedestrians. The law however is not retrospective so if it was fitted before that date, your alright (but it still eneds to be declared to your insurers)
winch bars are exempt as someone said because they are a mounting system for the winch, but must have a winch fitted.

Back