Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Set-back, or start-over...?

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
This tragic mess is what happened when a 40-ton artic lost control of his rig on a steep-descent mountain road in Chamonix this summer. I was doing 50mph when the tractor hit me from behind and essentially performed a pitt manouver, spinning me head-on into the crash barrier, only to bounce off and be caught by his trailer, and spun around again, hitting the crash barrier a second time with the back end. Amazingly the whole family walked out of it without a scratch, but the prognosis for the beloved family bus was not so good.

My insurers brought the it back here and promptly declared it beyond economical repair - they're paying out what the car cost to buy, I've had a stack of work done since spending months looking for it, (bought & sold 3 others in the process!) and I know how hard it is to find one in this good condition.

My question is, can anyone give me a 'sensible' view of whether it's going to be worth fixing?

Known Damage:

1 wing & two doors - easy and cheap enough
Suspension and wheel damage - was due to be changed anyway
Bumbers f/r - again I was going up upgrade these along with the suspension
Both rear corners are stoved to the extent that the tailgate gaps are all but gone on both sides (ouch!)

Possible damage:

pillar between driver and rear driver-side door
chassis damage - this seems highly unlikely given the speed

Can anyone give me an idea of what it would cost to get the chassis properly tested and the rear corners pulled out? The other stuff is pretty trivial... or am I being sentimental? Should I just cut my losses?

Attachments

• IMAG0562 (1).jpg
    IMAG0562 (1).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 284
  • IMAG0559.jpg
    IMAG0559.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 274
Hell, man - nasty damage, but imagine if you guys had been in a normal family hatchback. Can't help with your question, but all the very best of luck with it.

A good friend of mine is having similar work done on a '67 mustang after an accident. Frame straightened and entire front end rebuilt. It's going to stand him about €12,000 after everything is included, but that includes an engine overhaul. Having said that, a front bumper for a mustang can be got for US$300. Pulling out the rear quarter panels and the pillars issue are the unknowns. If it was my truck, I'd repair if at all possible within reasonable cost because I'm quite attached to it. Best of luck with it, and yet more proof that these things are built to last.

They say the only things that could survive nuclear apocalypse would be cockroaches, and they'll be driving landcruisers

Last edited:
Glad no one was hurt! It's one of the reasons many people buy these trucks, they stand up well in a collision.

Damage doesn't look too bad from what you've described but obviously once you start removing parts you might find further damage. Bumpers/lights and panel straightening will be a relatively easy fix. Any chassis and pillar damage will be costly depending on how much movement was involved. At that speed and angle you hit the barrier, I doubt you would have any chassis movement. The braces would have bent and taken most of the impact in order to protect the chassis. Hopefully this is the case. Good luck if you chose to repair her. I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end!

I would have the chassis looked at by a pro before making any decisions . If the body needs to come off then surely the work involved would be on par with a full on restoration project which would make any 80 good and so I imagine it would be more cost effective to restore a straight truck using your own for spares . Of course I hope the fix turns out to be far simpler so my comment should be looked upon as a worst case scenario much depends on how much work you can do yourself because we all know costs tend to spiral when we have to rely on others to get the work done . Good luck .

Last edited:
They managed (eventually) to repair ours (see my 'well it had to happen thread'), no chassis damage I am told.....8k€ worth of damage belive it or not.

Personally, I would repair it if the chassis is OK and you intend to keep it forever. After all, lots of work and love have gone into that truck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can you post some more pictures to help see if your panel gaps are ok? front the look of it the pillars have not moved. take a picture of the offside front pillar behind the snorkle and the rear quarter panels.
from what i can see the wost thing would be some bent brackets on the chassis.
its not as bad as might look dont worry to much.
Stu

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

Stu - I'm headed to the insurance co 'yard' tomorrow to have a closer look so I'll get more pics.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Just my tuppence... Repaired cars are usually never quite the same and there is a certain feeling that comes with them in my experience. You find that the window leaks and there's a whistle at 70 mph etc.

One option would be to buy it back from the insurer. I did, for £250! Take the rest of the insurance. Then break the car and sell the big obvious bits. Wheels, tailgate, engine, gearbox, transfer box, axles and make quite a sum frankly. Then take all of your kit from it and start again. There are some decent ones still about and prices are sensible at present. You might even get one that's been done to a fair overland standard to get you going.

Just an alternative thought.

I tend to agree with Chris here. There's always that element of doubt…has something been missed? Depends on a lot of factors though and IF the insurers will let you buy it back.

Glad no one was hurt BTW. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
I would only worry about panels not fitting IF the screen was stress cracked or any of the doors dont open because the pillars have moved. most of the door shuts look like they are fine on this one. I would repair it no worries and not think twice.

Altough i am used to repairing very heavy damaged vehicles that would have put alot of people off if they had to do the job.

Sounds like you could sell it Stu!

I'd repair it! Its not that bad. :icon-biggrin:

I used to have my own garage before Chris it was called
Chequer flags motors have you heard of them before?

I am just messing before anybody gets funny!!!

Stu

Ha ha. Now I know you're kidding. Chequered Flag would NEVER fix it before they sold it.

Glad to see you survived the accident, difficult choice here and it depends on how much you luuuurve your car.

Check the windscreen position in the frame, look along the roof line for distortion, it is when this has happened that Chris's point about the car not being the same after is spot on, seams open and start rusting, wind noise and so forth. If you know the mechanicals are good except the suspension then I would go with Shayne's idea, I would use the accident as a genuine reason to pull the body off, check all square and get in there with good steam off and rust treatment and paint. Plenty of repair panels about.

regards

Dave

Just my tuppence... Repaired cars are usually never quite the same and there is a certain feeling that comes with them in my experience. You find that the window leaks and there's a whistle at 70 mph etc.

One option would be to buy it back from the insurer. I did, for £250! Take the rest of the insurance. Then break the car and sell the big obvious bits. Wheels, tailgate, engine, gearbox, transfer box, axles and make quite a sum frankly. Then take all of your kit from it and start again. There are some decent ones still about and prices are sensible at present. You might even get one that's been done to a fair overland standard to get you going.

Just an alternative thought.
Thanks Chris, I hadn't thought about the flaws left after a repair but your right, that could be seriously annoying up here in the Nordics. Rain is a way of life!

Buy back and break is the alternative rm thinking of but my cheeky b@#tard insurer wants over a grand[emoji15] which I would struggle to recover.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Good to hear everyone is unhurt.

I've repaired worse in the past tbh but not had to pay any labour just use my time. Obviously as said the chassis needs a good inspection and if it's hit the wheel the axle and mounts need a good inspection too.

Seen far worse put back on the road, it can be done, sometimes better the devil you know etc. I would buy it back, take a really good look then decide to either break it or give it a go,

Back