Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help steering on my 80

24carrot

Hi can any one help me the steering on my 1992 80 HJ81. is very light .and it seems to some times pull to one side . But not all the time .some times it seems to sort of titchy all on its own .if you know what i meen[emoji9]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It has just past its mot and there is no play in any thing

Have you had suspension lifted and if so did you do the caster correction. mine was very very light and twitchy until we did that.

First of all, I would check tyre pressures. Have you lifted it? Is your tracking spot on ? Light is good, it means your your power steering is working :icon-rolleyes:

I have a 2"lift .but no caster correction.how do i do that?

2" lift wouldn't make it very light. I wouldn't bother correcting a lift at that. In fact I have had a 2" lift and it was fine with no CC. Even 4" wasn't that bad. Sounds more like the steering box could do with adjusting. Did the lightness coincide with the lift? I think we need a bit more detail.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you checked the condition of the chassis in the area where the steering box connects?
At the moment my 1991 hdj81 has split badly. Its got to a state where I cant drive it anymore.
Have a look for cracks with rusty marks or rust dust there and on the other side where the top panard mount is.
Worth a look in that area.

All the above, but IMO the first check is tracking alignment.

I ran at about 1 degree toe-out for ages, and had "snatchy" steering which made it feel light but erratic. It turned out that it should be about half a degree toe-in and once adjusted, the steering was transformed.

Well i am really confused .when driving down the road there is play to the left put not to the right. But some times it is just a bit .and some times it seems to be about as much as half a turn. But it drives fine in a state line. And it will paul to the left when i change gear?

And if i sake the steering when parked there is on play

Ok foud the problem a broken sud on the steering knuckle arm

Ok foud the problem a broken sud on the steering knuckle arm

Hey, there you go!

Sometimes they break, other times they work loose and/or drop out.

When replacing them, always clean the threads well and use Loctite or similar, having play in the steering arms is not good (as you well know by now). :thumbup:

No I thought I was driving a land rover .lol

I was reading your result of your steering problem. . Checked mine and all 12 bolts were loose! !:wtf:

All real tight now... might be something others should check!!:thumbup:

This can be catastrophic. As clive said, use locktite then torque em. I had one snap and thought nothing of it. Forgot about it as you do. We have a long and bumpy lane, about 3/4 of the way down the steering went really vague, pulled to a stop in the yard and after a clunk the front end slumped to the left. Two more bolts had dropped out and the final one had sheared off. Dread to think the consequences if it would have happend at 60 over a pot hole...

Now i check them often.

They keep coming loose no matter how tight you do them until you clean the threads (the holes go through into the knuckle so grease runs down the threads) and thread lock the studs. Just doing them up tight can fool you long enough to relax checking on them but it doesn't last, btdt! Surviving studs can also turn out to be very weak from being waggled back and forth.

Agree. I took the hubs off, cleaned them and used brake cleaner and all sorts, then set them in front of a fan heater overnight to warm through. Then used a chemical locking agent not just standard thread lock, set them in and then left them for a day. I used new studs too with the star drive ends. I torqued them to spec and they haven't moved since.

thanks all . I have all so notices that since this has happened that the top and bottom bearings. are chipped. do you think this is as a result of this happening. or something else? they are new .and so are the other side.i have all new parts coming to day .

Personally, I don't see how loose / missing / broken steering arm studs could physically damage the pivot bearings. It maybe that an ingress of dirt / sand could cause damage, but that would be unlikely to affect both sides top and bottom simultaneously.
TBH, I can't think of anything short of damaged new bearings, causing damage.

I will post some pics of the bearings .

Back