Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

"Sassy Moose" chapter two.

Lund

Country Flag
norway
As some of may remember, Dave built his ultimate overlander "Sassy" some years ago and drove her from London to Cape Town in'11.We bought Sassy of Dave in February '12 with ambisious plans of an EPIC trip from Cape Town to Canada. We failed miserable on that, SA was just too good of a place! :) 18months later we where still only 5 hours drive away from CPT, enjoying the good life.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Fast forward 3 and a bit years and we have expatriated to UK, and stuck back in the grind... 2 year old princess calls for rear seats to be installed to fit a toddler seat.

This is how she sits today...image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 377
As she'll be used more as a weekend warrior with the occational long trip, i'm in need of a few bits and bobs thats missing..

Karl, i hear you are the man..

need the two rear seat lock brackets on the floor..
image.jpg

And the hinge on the inside of the rear seat, driver side.
image.jpg

If Carlsberg made cars, they would have stopped to wonder, at how they could improve on Sassy..

Haha, true Dave, you did a fantastic job with her :)

many thanks to Karl, rear seats sorted! Kiddy seat next:)

Service done, all fluids changed, new brake pads, had to change rear calipers (pistons rusted as she's been sitting with worn pads for a while), tightening up one wheel bearing, MOT passed... Happy days! :beer:

Picked up a forward facing child seat last weekend, a Maxi-Cosy Axiss, fits very well in the truck, and swivels to the side which makes it much easier to get a kicking and screaming 2 year old strapped down. Buying a forward facing seat has never really been an option for us, our other cars both have BeSafe rear facing seats.. one youtube video on internal decapitation was all that we needed to make the decision... However for the truck we compromised as travelling is at a much slower pace so we went for forward facing... little one loves it, going Vrooom Vrooooom! lol

:obscene-tolietpush: Geeez, never would have thought I'd be posting child seat stuff on a forum....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Went through this same state recentky recently ( our spawns are 2 and 4 yr ) ... iirc there are some legal requirements around height and weight of a child and rear facing.

Although its a lot more lax in the UK compared with the US.

Think I read somewhere that UK are phasing out all fwd facing seats starting this year, rear facing mandatory for age 0-4 years. As I totally agree on the risk mitigation by doing so, i've got a hard time seeing how a young couple with their newborn being able to insure a 5 series beemer or similar that you need to even think about sitting in the front passenger seat with a rear facing behind you...

Behold the mighty Yanmar 6LP

Went for a stroll through our workshop today, and our fast response rib was sitting on its trailer... some machine that is.

Tiger Shark
WP_20150923_009.jpg

Ooohh, inboard :)

WP_20150923_007.jpg

go fast for 4!

WP_20150923_010.jpg

Wait, what?

WP_20150923_004.jpg

I recognise that valve cover!!:think:

WP_20150923_001.jpg

Sweeeeeet, now where is my spanners, I'm gonna need that fuel pump and injectors :icon-twisted:

WP_20150923_003.jpg

Wow, that's a beaut!

Never imagined the 4.2 being used in a boat, but why not?

Like it!!

Had a straight six 2lt Mercury outboard on a slalom ski boat for a time, but....

Awesome innit? :)

Some versions of the yanmar engine is up to 350hp!

Last edited:
Awesome innit? :)

Some versions of the yanmar engine is up to 350hp!

I'm out of touch with boat technology these days, but I'm guessing that's a "Z" drive unit. What looks odd (to me in my ignorance) are they bi-directional screws on the same output shaft? (excuse my leyman terminology).

The photo's not too clear this end, but unless I'm mistaken, I can see two props, with reverse pitch, but only one shaft.... . Never seen that before.

Interesting.

Found a nice rib the other day with one in. Can't seem to sell it to the wife though. Gutted

I'm out of touch with boat technology these days, but I'm guessing that's a "Z" drive unit. What looks odd (to me in my ignorance) are they bi-directional screws on the same output shaft? (excuse my leyman terminology).

The photo's not too clear this end, but unless I'm mistaken, I can see two props, with reverse pitch, but only one shaft.... . Never seen that before.

Interesting.

it's called a Duo Prop stern drive, contra-rotating propeller to the drive unit gives it a much better bite on the water. As a result, at the helm you get vastly improving handling, fewer vibrations, better tracking, faster acceleration (by up to 30-percent), better low-speed planing ability, and better slow-speed maneuverability.

I've got 2 of the Volvo Penta's (left) on my boat, the Tigershark with the Yanmar 6LP has the Mercruiser Bravo III (right)
sterndrive-duoprop-bravo3-e1358373203380.jpg

Found a nice rib the other day with one in. Can't seem to sell it to the wife though. Gutted

We're having big issues with our TigerShark, it's a full on fast rib, (read Special Forces) not a putter around the harbour with that engine in it.. cooling issues, turbo lag bla bla...

buy it, pull the engine and insert in 80 series and flogg the rib again ;)

it's called a Duo Prop stern drive, contra-rotating propeller to the drive unit gives it a much better bite on the water. As a result, at the helm you get vastly improving handling, fewer vibrations, better tracking, faster acceleration (by up to 30-percent), better low-speed planing ability, and better slow-speed maneuverability.

I've got 2 of the Volvo Penta's (left) on my boat, the Tigershark with the Yanmar 6LP has the Mercruiser Bravo III (right)
View attachment 21744

Very nice indeed! Thanks for the explanations, I've leaned something today!

BTW, what sort of speed will the Tigershark do? My slalom boat (a rigid fiberglass deep "V" sea hull) used to pull appx. 70 knots on a medium swell (up to 750mm) usually hitting every alternate wave :lol: Hard hammering ride but loads of fun! Bruised to buggery every trip :?

No one got the balls to give it a handfull here, think they've seen about 45kts... should be good for at least 55 with the right man behind the wheel. They won't let me have a go as I'm considered an 'office rat'....... (even though I used to race offshore powerboats in my youth)

70kts is where things are starting to get interesting, we once did 110 in a Northech 36, did Malta to Sicily in about 30 min at the crack of dawn and flat seas... now that is a rush!!
Similar boat to this.
air 17 small.JPG

You sound like a proper nutter will be interesting to talk at the out door show.
Stu

No one got the balls to give it a handfull here, think they've seen about 45kts... should be good for at least 55 with the right man behind the wheel. They won't let me have a go as I'm considered an 'office rat'....... (even though I used to race offshore powerboats in my youth)

70kts is where things are starting to get interesting, we once did 110 in a Northech 36, did Malta to Sicily in about 30 min at the crack of dawn and flat seas... now that is a rush!!
Similar boat to this.
View attachment 21745

I remember it taking some time for me to muster the courage to run it flat-out. No room or mercy for mistakes, that's for sure.

110kts is insane. Those offshores are monsters :shock: You're a lucky guy to have experienced them.

On the flat in the bay at the Mumbles, we used to straight line monoski at 60kts :lol: those were the days.

Spurred by your post, I've just been reading up on F1 because I was a fan in the early 80's. OZ class 3.5 lt V8 2 stroke delivering 400 HP at 10,500 rpm on a 6m hull (incl engine) weighing 390 kg. 0-100 kph in under 2secs and 250 kph flat-out.

That's some going, scary.

I'm comfy these days in my 80... :icon-biggrin:

You sound like a proper nutter will be interesting to talk at the out door show.
Stu

lol, not that bad nowadays, having a family (married, toddler, dog, estate car, 8-4 job) changes what could be considered 'calculated risk taking' considerably....
Have to admit, never raced the big boys, was the smaller 20+ ft we play around with back in the day.

Been a fun ride though ;)

Back