Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

For the off road enthusiasts

Pat

Country Flag
new_zealand
This was a 6x6 wartime mack that was brought to NZ from Belgium as a transporter.It had a Mack 6 cylinder twin head petrol motor and with 3 gearboxes had 34 forward gears.Could go anywhere and climb anything.It was replaced by a Leyland Hippo and then had the Ruston 10RB fitted.It was still in use up to the 1970's image.jpg

That's cute Pat.

Sadly, I remember rope operated face shovels and draglines from working on the UK motorways in the 70's...

My guess is the 22RB was probably the most popular excavator at that time, but it was track mounted and I imagine heavier than the 10RB.

ruston_bucyrus_rb22_1.jpg

Like the photo and machine type stuff... keep 'em commin' :thumbup:

The firm I worked for had 10 RB's for smaller jobs and NCK 205's & 304's for bigger stuff .The 22 RB was the equivalent of the 304 and the Smith22 about 3/4 yard capacity.those 10 RB's were simple to operate and very good maintenance wise.

NCK304 on transporter in the Waioeka Gorge.In the winter we got the sun from 11am until 2pm.It was cold.that is between Opotiki and Gisborneimage.jpg

A guy working for Douglas lost his forearm replacing a cable on a 22RB I recall.

A nasty bit of mis-coordination with his workmates released the loose end too soon and his arm was dragged round a pulley. They were dangerous machines to operate and maintain in those days.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whenever I see or hear the name Ruston Bucyrus I think back to the late sixties and looking out of my Grandma's bedroom window as a kid and watching a huge RB crane with wrecking ball demolish some old tenement buildings. Not seen one for years. Do they even demolish buildings that way anymore?

Whenever I see or hear the name Ruston Bucyrus I think back to the late sixties and looking out of my Grandma's bedroom window as a kid and watching a huge RB crane with wrecking ball demolish some old tenement buildings. Not seen one for years. Do they even demolish buildings that way anymore?

Yep, although it depends on the type of building.

Often these days, a decent sized backactor is powerful enough to pull down most buildings up to 3 floors. Higher, they generally implode them, or get the ball out.

Back