Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello everyone

Magus

Well, I am the new guy to the group. I don't own a land cruiser as of yet...which is why I am here. I want to discuss and learn. I was thinking of two different trucks...the Land Cruiser and the Range Rover...from what I have read.. The RR IS NOT the road I want to go down.. So I am here. I would like your opinions on which are the best years and which years to stay away from? How dependable are they? I am pretty handy with a hammer and wrench but I don't want to be under the hood or underneath every other weekend either. I would like to know your thoughts.

Thank you

Buy a 90 series and maintenance is more or less to drive through a car wash once a year .

Hi Magus, welcome to the forum :text-welcomewave:

We all have our preferences, and I can't deny Shayne's enthusiasm over his 90, it's a well capable truck and once got in order, maintenance is largely down to "consumables" meaning the usual things that wear out as a matter of course.

However, what you should consider when choosing a vehicle is what you want from it.

The 'Cruiser range is quite varied from old 40's through to the new 200 series.

We're all with you on the folly of getting a Range Rover (although some would still say they like the challenge of fixing thinks that break :lol:)

What are your intentions from the vehicle? If you want hard off-road ability, I could suggest the 80 series, but here you have to consider that most of them are circa 20 years old which means some money will inevitably go on getting the truck in shape (we call this baselining) before you do other modifications (if any).

If you don't want a 20 year old truck, there's the 100 series with Independent Front Suspension (IFS) they are a later series so younger, but still well capable of extreme offroad.

The 80 and 100 series are quite big, so if you want something smaller, a 90 (SWB) or the longer 95 may suit you better.

You may prefer a 70 series, which is smaller and more "agricultural" again, very impressive offroad and with many variants (Station Wagon/tray-back/pick-up etc.).

All these things should be considered.

IMO, all 'Cruisers are reliable once properly baselined, hope this helps...

Well Dang...thank you for all of the info.
I mainly want to use it for an everyday driver. I live in Michigan and the winters dont seem to be letting up. I want to be able to go anywhere and not worry about getting stuck.
I like the idea of having a good size truck...something that I can possibly hitch a trailer to to pull a trailer full of firewood. Driving an older truck does not bother me. I would rather buy a good used truck that a POS new one.
Guess I will start doing some research on 80, 90 and 100 models.

Again...thank you and I will keep you posted on what I find.

Stolen from here

LC.jpg

It may help recognize the models...

and then choose an 80...

IMG_4947.JPG:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Back