Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Click! *?.,@#&! Wont Start!

MarkW

Country Flag
morocco
Havent driven the truck for a while but started regularly all fine. As its booked in for a MOT on Wednesday I thought I'd take it for a spin last night. Wouldn't start twice after stopping, turned over but sounded like low batteries.

Traced the fault to a discarnect I have on the passenger side battery. Tried this morning all ok. Swapped discarnect for regular connector, all ok. Went in for lunch came out tried to start and just an ominous click :(

Both batteries 12.5v+ less than year old. Tried jumping it nothing but the click.

Looks like a starter fault or have I missed something?

Check connections going to the starter as they may have corroded. If not, then your starter could probably do with being re-built or replaced with a new/reco one.

Silly question but the trucks 100miles away so can't check, but wheres the starter?

and is the 2.7kv starter the right one?

Last edited:
You can see it through your passenger side wheel arch , the one i got recently from Roughtrax was 2.7 but is intended to be better than the original .

There's a bloody great earth wire on it which is exposed and easy to undo so maybe that connection could do with a clean , my starter died slowly making an awful noise when it felt like it and working perfectly at other times .

Last edited:
Cool thought it was there :D thanks,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like an earth connection!

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

grrr, shiny new RT Starter fitted this morning, tried it and click nothing....................................

Any ideas?

Do you get 12.5v at the starter? Could your alarm be stopping the voltage and stopping it from starting.

I'll check after lunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also noticed the coil light goes off very quickly when the key is turned

Wouldn't a click mean there is power going to the starter just not enough to turn it over ? I would be chasing the live feed back from the starter searching for a damaged wire .

Right main feed is 13.18v. Disconnecting the switch connector results in not click. Running a feed straight from the battery to the switch no result. Engine rotates ok and we can see the flywheel move through the starter mounting hole

See like the starter can't rotate the engine over but we can't figure why

Ok how do you disable the immobiliser?

Don't ask me how i know but there is a heavy bracket held by the lower starter bolt which quite obviously locates between the starter and the housing ...... only it doesn't .

Starter bracket then bolt .

All sorted, under load there was less than 1v at the starter. Cleaned all the cables and contacts and its perfect

Last edited:
Got the same on my 81 now, just before the AO show, so will be having a read and a jiggle and a clean in the morning. [emoji22]

Back