Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Smaller a/c condenser is it worth investigating .

Shayne

Guru
I have started putting my truck straight and was about to remove everything relating to a/c as the condenser is crushed and got to wondering why the damn thing is so big . Be a nice thing to have on a just in case basis so is it worth talking to a pro about getting a smaller unit fitted ?

No, it's that size for a reason Shayne. Better to over condense than under condense and it will be sized for the warmest day when it's needed.

Go careful with the AC there Shayne, best to get yourself a replacement from the breakers and then get it emptied, swapped, vacced out and regassed in one hit.

If the system is opened with gas in it it can squirt out. Get that in your eye and you can freeze your eyeball…and I don't expect that to be very pleasant. Plus leaving the system open allows moisture and debris in so it has to be sealed if anything is removed for even a short time.

Its not looking to healthy right now Starcruiser

bent 001.JPG

Just wondered if a smaller one would do as i have never used it other than to see if it worked , as far as i can tell it has only 2 settings which are minus 30 degrees or off . Rain has me taking the easy option which is 90 quid for a new one and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that its less work to fix than remove :whistle:

Not pretty, but looks like it could have been a whole lot worse had you not hit square on in the middle.

Not pretty, but looks like it could have been a whole lot worse had you not hit square on in the middle.
Shaynes bonnet hit my spare wheel which is more to the nearside than centre so it was a relatively soft impact, it could have been a lot worse if the impact was exactly square on my truck. The only damage to my 80 was the spare carrier getting banged into the tailgate, a few dents but everything opens and closes OK.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah chassis rails hit his bumper square so it would have just been a case of touching up the paint had his spare wheel not been above the bumper . Got most of it straight by strapping it to a post and rocking back and forth on the clutch but i'm waiting for a bonnet to be delivered so i have something to guide me . It will get sorted its just a shame it will cost me the price of a winch bumper before i can start looking for a winch bumper .

Bonnet and bits have arrived from the breaker 250 quid and true enough its in good nick ....... but its been painted matte black :icon-rolleyes: paint shop want 150 to put it right :icon-sad:

Looks like you're going to get better value out of them for that than Helen did Shayne. [emoji4]

Looks like you're going to get better value out of them for that than Helen did Shayne. [emoji4]

Not that shop obviously i might have got arrested for what they did to Helen's "baby" were i not so keen to see the back of it , i swear she was set on a full on restoration before it went :icon-rolleyes:

I have little faith in paintshops though so have been toying with the idea of having the whole truck vinyl wrapped :eusa-think:

Beginning to wish i had just let the insurance company crush it , fitting a new bonnet tells me what i had guessed was reasonably straight is actually still 2 inches short which defies belief considering i can find no creases or cracks anywhere , my month old rad is only fit for the bin and whether or not the viscous fan should be used again is questionable . I am now making a metal frame to put inside so i can fix a tow strap without crushing anything before refitting the rad so i can use the engine to pull the slam panel and whatever else has moved out .

If you lived round here Shayne I would send you to Dukes Motors down the road from me. I've never heard so many people speak so highly of a company, and picky people at that. Still, they'd lend you a car while it was in. [emoji4]

I have a good shop here for cheap reprints shayne. Also don't mind straighting you front end if you need a hand pop over

The afternoon progressed a bit better , a frame of 1 inch box section to add some resistance and a spare pair of eyeballs to see what i can't while sat in the truck slipping the clutch has it more or less true (thank you Helen) I will have to remove the cooler and replace it with the original throttle body intake pipe to let the bonnet fall flush and see whats what . It will be fixed stronger and better than before its just heartbreaking to chuck brand new shiny parts in the scrap pile .

When I did my repair, I used piece Aluminium square section across the front chassis points to give some strength.

Good luck with the repair, hopefully she'll be stronger than before :icon-biggrin:

Looks ok to me and i parked it back in the same spot so i'm sure she will never notice :whistle:

Matte black bonnet 001.JPG

Beaten by a bonnet catch :angry-banghead: it was crushed but i got it working until everything was put back together , so i bought another from a breaker and here i am 3 hours later and i still cant shut it :icon-sad: the lock will not roll over instead it stops the bonnet short with a solid bang , both locks are the same and both mechanisms work to lock down on a screwdriver :icon-question:

told you u should have let wayne do the job for u and did say it would be cheap

Yes i spoke to Wayne who explained tying it to a post and putting it in reverse is the standard method used and they do have posts in Essex if i can't find one in Wales . I'm sure he would have done a very good job of it but was kind enough to offer that i could do it myself which i have albeit very slowly 1mm at a time and i have just worked out i have another 24mm to go . Daft thing is i would be enjoying this if i had bought it wrecked .

Back