Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Living with a V8......

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
Having recently been 'spoilt' with a ride in a auto V8 100 series I'm contemplating the purchase of one. As with the petrol vs diesel 80 series the V8's seem to go for less money but I'd just appreciate some real world MPG/running costs, both towing and solo and also any reliability issues specific to the V8. Not really that interested in LPG to be honest. Thanks in advance.

Just drop the red one off as you're passing then. Plenty of room on my drive. OK it's not blue ...... but hey.

Seriously though would you be able to part with it? Has to be one of the best out there.

Don't get me wrong, I've certainly not fell out with the 80. Had it over 10 years now and that's the longest I've ever kept any vehicle by quite a margin but the refinement and road manners of the 100, as we all know, are superior to the 80, especially with the V8. Being realistic, the 100 would probably suit me better. I don't offroad (apart from the odd track/green lane to get to a fishing venue) or overland etc. I do relatively low miles (less than 5k last year) it sits on the drive unused (but not unloved!) 5 days a week so the increase fuel cost of a V8 hopefully wouldn't be that big a deal. What I want to avoid at all costs though is to sell the 80 only to regret it 6 months down the road and want one again so some more homework on the 100 and some serious thinking time ahead. Not a decision I will make lightly that's for sure.

Good man. That's the ticket. Then when this illness has passed, you'll be thinking clear again. Ha ha.

I have to admit that the Hundee is a very nice place to be. I just don't want one.

The APPS and exhaust manifold cracks are the main V8 specific common issues I can think of. I don't check MPG very often so not much help there, somewhere between 14 and 19 depending on usage on a standard one is probably realistic unless you're very good at only tickling the pedals and cruise at lorry slip streaming speeds :shifty:

Why not try the 100 diesel? Mine does the same mpg as my 24valve 80 i.e. 25-32 mpg. It's not far behind Jon's petrol on performance and is almost as quiet.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Towpack,
I've got a V8 and had it 3 1/2 years now I think. I had an 80 before for 10 years & loved it but the 100 is much more refined.
My 100 is petrol with LPG and I kept a record of all the petrol & LPG I used for about 3 years until my phone updated & lost the app I was using - gutted!
It showed I was getting 12 MPG overall but I only do 10 miles a day & only ever go distances with a 24' twin wheel caravan so hardly the most economical driving.
It still worked out cheaper than the 4.2 (although I love that diesel engine!) with the cost of LPG now being 48p a litre (although it was 70p at one time) It was about 24 MPG as opposed to the diesel 22 MPG.
I will say mine is the facelift version with the dogleg gearstick - much smoother than the old gearbox and it has done 170,000 miles (the 80 had done 235,000!) If u gon on the IH8MUD site in America there is much more info as there are loads of petrol models over there.
By the way I made a couple of runs recently to the airport (about 40 miles each) and the computer was showing 17 MPG.

hope that helps

Chris

Back