Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheel carrier

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Had a search and found some useful stuff for making a spare wheel carrier but has anyone made one to work with the stock bumper?
I'm thinking buy a spindle so has the bearings etc then make something to fit behind the bumper and either come out of the top or the back corner. Ideally I want the swing arm to rest on top of the rear step area. I need to get the 35" spare out of the boot as it's interfering with other plans.
Seen the kaymar ones but I like making stuff.

It's not a hard job to do Gary I was going to do this on mine but brought a TJM rear bumper.
Have a spindle and a rear corner bumper with hole I could part wit if it would make your life easier. Have also nearly cut the piece of box to go between the chassis and the spindle.
Stu

I'd be interested yes mate. Which side bumper as I'm prob going left side. Seen a few types of spindle can buy too.

I need to do a little repair to the bumper anyway as it's had a knock :icon-rolleyes:

I'm in planning at mo so no rush to get on, need to exhaust doing first

I built one cantilevered off the chassis once. I reckon it was a hard way of doing it. Incredibly hard to get the flex out of it. You think it rigid and then you plonk a 35" on it and it's boing boing boing....

I've seen pics of the one you made for the silver 80 Chris. Didn't fancy hanging a 35" spare off the body and don't have steel bumpers. Have seen the kaymar ones which handle big tyres and thought must be able to make something work.

You'd be surprised at the strength of the body ones Gary. Don't abandon that idea completely.

This one was successful but involved making a whole inner and outer bumper to hang it off. It worked well and is all powder coated and clean sitting in someone's shed not too far from here ...

P1010218.JPG
This one was very bendy

P1010215.JPG
The problem is getting the hinge far enough away so that the arm and wheel clear the tailgate. Steel bumper with corner hinge is the best way.

P1010311.JPG

This one hasn't given me a moment's problem. Solid as a rock. Twin taper rollers etc and a 54 mm shank.

If you don't have a steel bumper or a body mounted on, I am not sure how you'll do it Gary. Are you saying that Kaymar make something to get around this. I haven't seen it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
http://www.kaymar.com.au/vehicles/toyota/toyota_80_GXL.php

The kaymar one has the spindle outside the bumper and has brackets above and below the bumper.
Wasn't sure if the body one would be strong enough. Always an extra option to look into. Not going to be doing this weekend sort of thing as want to explore designs/options.
I didn't really want the spare on the back tbh and works well in the boot most of the time but plans are changing as they do! It's not going on the roof and underneath isn't a go. Last option is the back on a carrier.

The Kaymar sounds like the South African IEF Engineering one I had on my GXL which didn't need a replacement bumper, going over and under the IEM one to the chassis. Worked fine.

The body mount carriers are strong enough IMO, have had them on 80 and 100 and if anything they're more rigid than bumper mounted. iirc a 35 fits ok on an 80 one without modifying the carrier because the rear lights are quite narrow whereas the 100 carrier had to be modified. Does mean making holes in your rear wing and both the upper and lower tailgate. Get the OEM lower mount to go in the wing and bend some 6mm plate for the top one.

Cheers guys. Few options to look into.

Back