Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trying to talk my husband into buying this 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ71 Diesel

zooey

Country Flag
canada
Low mileage. RHD (I live in Canada). Believe it was Japan import. Looks very clean with no rust.

I think the owner has rebuilt from front to rear. New tires and a good price.

So what can I possibly say to convince him to go and look? This will be my every day, very little travel vehicle. Is he crazy or am I?

Oh it is a 2L TE......can someone decipher what this vehicle is for me?

Zooey you have probably just got yourself a fan club as its usually us guys trying to convince the wife we need a cruiser :lol:

I don't know much about the 70 series but 2L-TE would be a 2 litre diesel engine with electronically controlled fuel injection which suggests to me that it might be somewhat under powered .

It would be an idea to post up a link to the truck so 70 owners can give an opinion .

Afraid to provide a link in case I drum up another buyer.

But this is the ad detail....

1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ71 Diesel 2L-TE

MINT MINT MINT
NO Rust

137,7000 kms
4x4 2.4 Turbo Diesel
4 Speed Transmission with Overdrive
Power Steering and Tilt Steering wheel
New OldManEmu Suspension kit and steering stabilizer.
4 wheel Power Disc Brakes
5 New Tires
4 bucket seats - Rear seats flip forward
Tie Down Cargo Hooks on Rear floor
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Air Conditioning
Timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, thermostat, valves and camshaft bearing set all done
Rear Window Washer Wiper
Running boards
Fully wired for a small trailer
Full Radio/Tape/Disc Player Combination
Tachometer and Turbo Indicator lights
Timing belt indicator light
Filter Condition light
Hub lock and H4 Controls on Dash
Automatic Transmission Oil temp light
ATP Indicator
Hood and Gas Tank release on Dash panel
Altimeter and Tilt indicator
Outside/Inside Temperature indicators
Roof top Cargo Carrier and Roof Rack included
1 1/4” Hitch (Bike rack was installed)
Brand New Alarm system was just professionally installed

Last edited:
Forums user map is your next door nieghbour on there ?

I see no Canada members.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't know this model, but 137 k km is very low. Might be on the lazy side, but torque would still be good.
Get a test drive, also out of town.

Is it OK to drive rhd cars in Can?

WHereabouts are you? (Alternatively: are you in Toronto area?)

WHereabouts are you? (Alternatively: are you in Toronto area?)

When I take my dogs to the beach on a sunny day I can see Alaska.

It says it it is an EFI Turbo Wagon?

I am completely new to this. Never done diesel. RHdrive is OK in Canada. They could care less as long as you are on the right side of the road. Up here I have exactly one stop light and that is 120km. down the highway. Rush hour is 10 cars on the road going the same way at 4 pm.

b3def8a3-0f33-4f56-9980-3257b6db4111.jpg

Looks like it could be a nice car, I would recommend a test drive to see if you like it.
Sadly I have very limited knowledge of that series of cruiser but I would think you will not regret owning it if it has been well maintained.
Most of our members are EU based so reply's may be slow.
Good luck with your research and convincing ;)

No idea what price is, but they're quite rare and so you'll not have a problem selling them back in the future. Maybe even for more, once it's still in good condition. If I was you, I'd make sure it's legally been imported into Canada and he has the paperwork to show this (Customs clearance/deceleration form).

A test drive is necessary as with any vehicle. The 2.4's can have gasket/head problems if they've been neglected but from the photo and specs it looks in good condition. It's not going to get off the lights very quick but it'll cope with your average driver and long distance cruising.

Seems to me your heart is set on it and if its as clean as it looks i can't see what could go wrong from your description of its intended use i would expect any landcruiser to last several hundred years in the same circumstances if you can keep the rust out . Get under it and look for rust , a magnet wrapped in cloth along the cills and wheels arches will reveal if body filler is hiding anything then take it for a drive . The occasional landrovers lover has been converted after 20 minutes in my cruiser so maybe you should aim to convince hubby a test drive can't hurt you are at least a little closer to ownership .

No idea what price is, but they're quite rare and so you'll not have a problem selling them back in the future. Maybe even for more, once it's still in good condition. If I was you, I'd make sure it's legally been imported into Canada and he has the paperwork to show this (Customs clearance/deceleration form).

A test drive is necessary as with any vehicle. The 2.4's can have gasket/head problems if they've been neglected but from the photo and specs it looks in good condition. It's not going to get off the lights very quick but it'll cope with your average driver and long distance cruising.

It has what are called Collector Plates. so has been passed and insured by our gov. insurance scheme as original, clean and lien free. The cost of insuring a Collector car where I live is soooo low. saves me $1000/yr. as pleasure only car.

Hubby: Can't you see how cool your wife would look in this? Or is that the problem? :icon-biggrin:

It's lovely zooey, no wonder you're so keen to get it on the driveway.

My experience is that wives get what they want, whatever the circumstances. Go for it, I'm sure you have your ways to convince him :whistle:

Seriously though, it's good advice to have all the papers checked and also to have a knowledgeable mechanic type person to give it a once-over, just in case there's something amiss.

Otherwise, good on you, go for it!

I think that girls get what they want.we have a zooey and she wanted a little plaything and she got it.So good luck zooey.image.jpg

Hey Pat, which one's the zooey and which one's the plaything? I'm confused :lol:

Without knowing an awful lot about 70's (where's Ben when you need him) I'd echo the thoughts - go give it the once over, a thorough test drive and inspection - then get it!! Winter's coming :)

Back