Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Split chage packed up. Great timing.

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Chaps, my National Luna split charge has died on me. It's the solenoid itself not the electronics. It's been getting temperamental recently and would only engage if I tapped it with a spanner. Yesterday I ran a jump lead to it so that I could work it a bit by clicking it in and out. It buzzed and fizzed and clattered a few times then went silent. I have run the electronic bit and monitored the switching volts and it's all working fine. For now I have run a bypass so the other battery is charging all the time but need to get a new solenoid. Man am I struggling.

The original is a Cole Hersee like this

Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 11.03.48.jpg

Plenty available if you live in the States. I can ship one, but I'd rather get one here in the UK so I can fit it before Moroc. Just can't seem to find a plain four pole continuous one here. BUT there are plenty of 6 pole ones like this

Screen Shot 2015-09-13 at 11.04.45.jpg

for winches. Is there any reason why I can't fit a 6 pole and just not use two of the poles? They are just on - off heavy duty switches. A 6 pole UK one is far cheaper too. OK I could order one from the States but I just don't think I'll get it in time to fit it. If it's a simple on / off unit what are the extra two poles for? The small terminals are for the switching current obviously.

I have scoured the net and every UK one I find is actually NOT in the UK at all but ships from Germany, Oz or the US. Some quote 4 weeks. Any ideas?

I have a spare solid state split charge relay if you would like to borrow that Chris.

Is that not the same relay that is fitted to nearly every winch or am I missing something?

Stu

Chris I've got 3 (that I can find) 4 pole ones sat in the garage you can have. They worked when I removed them. Got a load of 6 pole ones too.

Used to run then on my winch

You can also get an auto-sensing relay from RS Electrical if worst comes to worst. Ran that in my 120 for ages with absolutely no issues.

Got a spare dual monitor if you need that. Alternately do APB Trading not have spares, being the dealers?

Guys, all sorted thanks to Gary in York. Cheers Gary2 and Stu too. I really just want to replace like for like. My system is all built into a back board and I'd rather not have to pratt about changing things., The ECU bit also works in a mysterious way too, so much easier to swap like for like. I prefer voltage sensing and the Luna runs on a time which I really don't like but there it is. Yes APB have spares but have you seen the price. They don't just sell the solenoid. Replacement is £100.

Stu, winch solenoids have 6 terminals. The spilt charge only has 4. Personally I think you could run a 6 only using two of the terminals for the charging cable. But Gary has come to the rescue with an exactly replacement so we'll call that job jobbed.

Sounds like Sod's-law closely followed by forum magic!

Well done all!:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Indeed. Damn ain't this a great forum

I just can't believe that there don't seem to be any Cole hersee solenoids in the UK

What goes around comes around. Whatever the hell that actually means.

I'm never ceased to be impressed by the help provided on this forum, well done chaps.
respect-067.gif

Cheers Ed, looks about right but would need detail. Some are only brief contact some are continuous load. Anyhoo, Gaz has sorted me out in fine stylee.

Delivered - installed - working.

Gary you're a hero. Beautifully packaged too. Now wouldn't you just know that when I got the old unit onto the bench it started working. I'm not fooled. It had been playing up all week and on Sunday would not fire up with 12v across the switching terminals. The replacement has a far more convincing THUNK when it fires. Working properly now on manual over ride and timer function.

Many thanks.

Brilliant. I take no credit for the packaging that was all Emma.
You've got a couple of spares too just incase. Glad to be of service :icon-biggrin:

Hopefully that's all sorted but yes the spares are welcome security.

Sent you a little something for the kiddies' Christmas fund from Uncle Chris

Hopefully that's all sorted but yes the spares are welcome security.

Sent you a little something for the kiddies' Christmas fund from Uncle Chris

Received thankyou chris, really didnt have to. We'll make sure it goes to the kiddies :thumbup:

Back