Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Robbed by bandits!! so best regards to all,

mettisse

Supporter
At the beginning of September my wife and I were on our way to the French Alps for a little 4x4 excursion, we stayed overnight at Valence. We had a few spare days before we rendezvoued with the other over landers. Only stayed at an Ibis, it was all we needed. The next day we wanted some shopping ( and beer) and went into a " Leclerc" supermarche, parked right outside the main doors. Went in, spent our money and when we came out, drivers window smashed in and the small quarter light on the rear door the same, all they took were our I Pads! Could have took lots of other stuff, ( gps etc) all was hidden of course, but they must have observed us pack the stuff away, and there was a sweeping camera on the building pointed at the car parking, so they had limited time. ( police told us that) well, it is upsetting especially as getting the glass for an 80 takes time these days. I had the sticky film on the glass so they had trouble getting through, but they did! And it still isn't replaced, however, these things happen everywhere, so may I remind all, be vigilant to observe if you are being watched when you park. It made my wife and I paranoid about leaving the car anywhere, ( we have temporary plastic glass taped in,) we still had fun, but of course couldn't have the window open etc etc. this time we did a route that zig zagged back and forth over the French/ Italien border all the way to the Med. great scenery, tiny tracks, good hotels. ( and great value because it's out of season) best regards to all, make sure the no gooders get nothing, Bill Westley

Really sorry to hear that Bill, what a disappointment...

Still, it seems it didn't completely spoil the trip, sounds like you enjoyed yourselves.

Folks often infer that Romania is full of thieves, but I can confirm that in my 14 years here, I have never had a single incident of a break-in or a theft, from my person, house or Truck. I've even left stuff out in the garden (usually in error) and it's still there the following week when we return.

Pity it's not the same everywhere.

Chop their bloody hands off, I say.

Glad you didn't let the B@stwads spoil your trip there's no point when all you can do is carry on regardless . There are buggers like these everywhere but they are a minority and what infuriates me about it is the universal failure of witnesses to step forward , if i witnessed such a thing happening even to a strangers car the police would be called and i would step in even if UK rules mean i would more likely to end up in handcuffs and court than the thieves .

I would support Clive with the Romania thing the impression i got while there was i could leave my truck open and running all day anywhere without fear but of course it only takes one bad egg to ensure millions of honest people would not dream of doing such a thing .

So sorry to hear this news too Bill. The way it leaves you feeling is quite horrible. Well done for not letting it spoil your trip too much.

Clive, I agree, with a club hammer!

Sorry to hear the news buddy,glad to hear your trip still good,the problem is it happens everywhere and they know if caught they get community service worst case scenario that's what the problem is,they is was a couple of lads round our area thieving,they got caught so many times and back out the same afternoon now how does that work,go court and home and then sign on end of week for us to pay the buggers to get to there next thieving job :oops: let's leave it there eh!!!

Leclerc = pikey heaven! Even in Riberac, they are all over the car park. Security follow most but even one of my customers was robbed in the store! Kept chatting and woosh - purse gone - as was said, off with their hands :)
I always wait in the car, just for security you understand........

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for your kind remarks, and we refused to let it spoil our trip, well we are insured, so no enormous loss, but a loss nonetheless. Anyway, we camped, hoteled (?) and generally had a good time, and yes I stayed in the car at supermarkets, trouble is you start to look at everyone as if they would be a potential tea leaf, but as noted, it is everywhere, I did chuckle when I imagined them trying to get through the security film on the windows tho' my pal has now designed a security cage for the back area, ( carefully drawn on a paper napkin) I might try to do something similar. But, I will be more vigilant to deprive them of my property, we all should be on our toes all the time, especially as we stick out like sore thumbs as obvious tourists. Best regards to all, Bill Westley

That is the problem, looking like a Tourist. Lynn and I were walking around Narbonne when we crossed the road and I felt uneasy. I suspected the guy next to us was after Lynn's handbag so after we crossed we walked on for a bit and I suggested looking in the window of an immobilier which Lynn did. I stared straight at the reflection in the window of the guy who had now stopped behind us. After a few seconds he froze then looked away uneasy himself and moved on quickly. He was obviously up to no good. Lynn had no idea what was going on until I told her.

Last edited:
That is the problem, looking like a Tourist. Lynn and I were walking around Narbonne when we crossed the road and I felt uneasy. I suspected the guy next to us was after Lynn's handbag so after we crossed we walked on for a bit and I suggested looking in the window of an immobilier which Lynn did. I stared straight at the reflection in the window of the guy who had now stopped behind us. After a few seconds he froze then looked away uneasy himself and moved on quickly. He was obviously up to no good. Lynn had no idea what was going on until I told her.
Like it!!! Well done, make THEM feel intimidated, it's making me chuckle at the thought!!

It was over so quickly, but was so strange how I knew at the crossing. He looked normal, nothing out of the ordinary I just knew he was up to something. It was quite intense but really satisfying to see his reaction when he realised I was on to him. [emoji6]

Is Valence a touristy type of place then? Bad luck for you. We've just come back from Franc/Spain. we go every year to France and always park in Leclerk. Is it getting risky at every Leclerk then?

Is Valence a touristy type of place then? Bad luck for you. We've just come back from Franc/Spain. we go every year to France and always park in Leclerk. Is it getting risky at every Leclerk then?
Hiya, don't know if it's leclerc that's not safe or anywhere else, the police who were very friendly and helpful said it was endemic, whatever that means and that the thieves were selecting their victims carefully, especially tourists, the giveaway is the right hand drive and of course the number plates, it didn't matter where we would have parked as they were very quick, but in our case delayed by the security film on the glass, on the day, we fitted the bill, and we also have been up and down to France / Spain for 30+ years. So all in all, you can be " lucky" or not, my point is remember to be vigilant and deprive these low life of our hard earned possessions, and the grief of putting all right again, best regards, Bill Westley

It can happen anywhere unfortunately. We had our tent rifled through in a 5 star campsite near St Tropez this year. I would never have worried about parking in a supermarche, but I have found LeClerc is a bit low rent too, for whatever that's worth...When we were in Valence we went to Auchan in Guillerand. Valence itself we didn't see much of, but I wouldn't call it tourist central.

Just heard last night that a fellow off reader/ expeditionary has had his 80 stolen, where? In France in a tourist area of the Gorge du Tarn, he had put his very well turned out 80 into a Garage for service/ alterations etc, they parked the car outside their premises overnight, bingo, gone the next morning. Don't know the full info, but it must alert us all to start or continue to be more security minded, posh alarms seem to be in order now, and maybe tagging, I'm no expert. Good thing was he has agreed value insurance, but he has since spent a wad of cash on it. Probably in a thousand bits by now, you'd never find it in France unless is was security tagged but I'm sure the thieves have a way round them also. Best regards to all, Bill Westley

What a shame :( France like the rest of Europe is getting worse. Out in the sticks here, nothing much goes on apart from the odd 'traveller' related theft. We have now put a chain on our gate for when we are out, as there is usually several expensive mowers on trailers laying around in season - out of season they are in the barn. This is a just in case theory, my neighbour has loads of tractors and impliments scattered around his open compund/barn and hasnt lost anything......yet.......
We did have a strange car in the hamlet a few weeks ago......it was about 3 mins before the occupants were interigated!
with regards to the car theft, I would imagine it will come off the garages insurance.......if so, the owners might be in for a bonus...car prices are 2x + what they are worth in UK (My Collie was valued at 16k € after the prang! I only paid 6k£ for it 2 years earlier.......)

What a shame :( France like the rest of Europe is getting worse.
with regards to the car theft, I would imagine it will come off the garages insurance.......if so, the owners might be in for a bonus...car prices are 2x + what they are worth in UK (My Collie was valued at 16k € after the prang! I only paid 6k£ for it 2 years earlier.......)

Yes it is the same all over, my friend Jacques lives in Marseilles and has a holiday home in the Gorge du Tarn area, he bought the car in France paid €24k for it, spent about €8k on it, now it's stolen, and you are probably correct in saying the Garage insurance will pay. It's just very frustrating to get the vehicle " together" then have it taken from you, the alarm man is coming on Wednesday to fit an alarm ( posh one) for mine. Best regards, Bill Westley

Back