Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ40 Dash mounted interior light needed!

jlpurcell

Country Flag
united_states
I am looking for the dash mounted interior light for my 1972 FJ40. It is mounted in the dash just to the right of the glove box door (left hand drive). I really need this part for my restoration.

attachment.php?attachmentid=317764&stc=1&d=1240466091.jpg

Still looking for this part as well as the correct brackets for the jack rods. The brackets that mount under the right jump seat as well as the approximate 23" jack extension rod.

Still looking for this light. I know they are hard to find and expensive when you do. Please help me fill this hole in my dash with the proper map light. Thanks for your help.

Sorry JL, not ignoring this just hopelessly unable to help. [emoji20] If I ever see one, I'll let you know.

Hmm, just googled it, if you could get one it could be copied. These look like they're rocking horse poo. How much do they fetch if the do surface?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I spent a good hour searching for the light at stupid o'clock in the morning last night and found someone saying it is not standard Toyota equipment and the few FJ40 dash diagrams i came across seem to support that statement as in non show the light ?

Assuming you are restoring to exacting standards i felt there was no point in suggesting an FJ40 licence plate light (which are readily available) wouldn't look out of place if used instead .

Yes, there seems to be a rectangular black map light that some have but little mention of the one you are after.

Hmm, just googled it, if you could get one it could be copied. These look like they're rocking horse poo. How much do they fetch if the do surface?
There was a post on MUDD showing one went last year for over $100.00 US. They were standard on the factory soft top models and I believe it is the same light as some of the early FJ40 had mounted under the dash. They were standard equipment and I would like to fill the hole with the correct light. The black square light mounts under the dash pad on the, (I believe), 73 and newer models. It is very dim and cast a greenish light over the knobs and switches to illuminate them at night. I know that someone here will see this sooner or later and help me source this hard to find part. It is the last piece of my restoration. I found an original set of NOS fog lights and switch and had a professionally made wiring harness put together for it. I will post pictures of them soon under the my New Member post detailing the restoration.
jlp

Last edited:
I guess you could always spray it to look the same colour as the original light JL?

I guess you could always spray it to look the same colour as the original light JL?
The light was also available painted. I ordered the painted one. I will de-grease it, scotch bright it and paint it with the original pewter. I have a quart from Cool Cruisers of Texas. I will post once complete. I still hold out hope of finding an original light for the dash.

Seems like a good way to fill the hole until the real thing turns up. Happy days!! [emoji4]

Look forward to the photos. Love your truck, especially the colour. [emoji4]

Back