Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Any one been to the Tabernas desert in Spain, just north of Almera? Heading down that way 22nd Oct for a holiday, first one in a very long time ;) Camping with 3 Labbydoors......it will be interesting if nothing else ;) Might spend a few days exploring then perhaps bumble off to Portugal to see whats there.

:icon-cool:

Steve I've not been, but Thought I might try it out instead to Morrocco next time. So I would be keen to hear about your travels.

I will try and update on here and facebook when we get going busy sorting out stuff for the trip now - even extra dog chews.......

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

Were back!
3380km
about 7 days
lots of fun, a bit wet on occasion.....but.......
here we go with a not very glam trip report!

Left home Tuesday last week
20151020_112322.jpg
20151020_142426.jpg
20151020_142324.jpg
20151020_142310.jpg
(bags on mirrors are to stop stupid black bird fighting itself and crapping all over the door handles....)

and camped at a grotty campsite, 20m from a main road who charged the earth for the privelage, just north of Madrid. We had planned to spend 2 nights there, and drive some local tracks, but were so dissapointed we drove to our 2nd campsite just outside Tabernas.
We were the only ones there apart from the care taker in her own caravan at the other end of the site. 10€ a night, for 2 of us, 3 dogs, leccy hook up, hot showers and clean loos!
Local dogs were a bit vocal at times but we got used to them.

IMG_2794.JPG
night set up

IMG_2800.JPG
day set up

As you may know, a lot of films and all the Spaghetti westerns were filmed in the area - a bit too touristy for us, but the tracks were great - did a couple of the easy ones before we got drowned out on Sunday and Monday

IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2832.JPG
Cavalry and injuns round every bend!

IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

Hardly met anyone else on the trails done - A Strange Rover and a couple of hunters but thats all.

The journey home was interesting. We had planned to trundle up towards the Pyrenees for a couple of days, and stop off 2 nights on the way. However, around 3pm towards our first stop yesterday, the skies went black, as black as night (nearly) so pedal to the metal and we found another campsite a couple of hours away going North on google maps.........except it wasnt on a road but a track - it took nearly till 5.30 to find it and it was abandoned! Not a sole - this explains why he didnt answer his phone.....so, what do you do? turn round and back track to get to tarmac? Nope, Google maps said the track continued on to a main road ........ We followed it, it got smaller, overgrown and finally a bog! Stupid I know, but we were close. I went for it and got through, only to be confronted by a dead end.........nothing for it but to turn around - Axle deep thick gloopy mud....Low range, diff locks.....managed to clear it. By now it was getting dark, no other campsites around so sod it, we drove home - some 1500km yesterday. We went across the Pyrenees in the dark (shame, but fun, saw virtually no other traffic on the 'A' roads.

Things we have learned.#
1. a roof tent is a must, esp with 3 dogs, with wet and muddy feet! no realistic wild camping with a ground tent
2. Trailer - I need a trailer for all the extra stuff needed.
3. Spain is great....apart from the rubbish laying in ditches in the south.
3.1 Spain is cheaper on fuel, food and whisky!
4. Off road tracks are great, but harder more challenging ones can be done with one or two extra vehicles or a winch!
5. Never risk going through a bog on your own we could still be down there
6. Toyotas are the best

The only damage done on our first trip was a leaky transfer case seal (getting Simon on the case) and we reckon an average of 20 mpg which, considering what we had loaded up, is pretty good me thinks!

20151029_121510.jpg
after yesterday mud fest ;)

IMG_2794.JPG IMG_2800.JPG IMG_2823.JPG IMG_2833.JPG IMG_2832.JPG IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2840.JPG IMG_2836.JPG IMG_2845.JPG 20151020_112322.jpg 20151020_142426.jpg 20151020_142324.jpg 20151020_142310.jpg 20151029_121510.jpg

Last edited:
There is a video up loading but its taking forever :(
Is anyone else only seeing half of some of the images? - the thumbnails are fine??????

Nice one Steve. Was there that much to see and do there please?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can see all the pics Steve it looks a great place to go , risky business going through the bog good job you were in a cruiser :thumbup:

There are plenty of tracks to download on Wickiloc - easy, moderate and hard. I think it would be better going with at least one other truck, to give some safety. The temps can get very hot in Summer (nudging 50) and some of the tracks had been closed due to fire risk, but going out of season, you run the risk of the weather (we had 2 wet days out of our holiday so not too bad, but when it rains, it rains like nothing else - you can see the desert being washed away!)
Plenty of cheap places to eat, and 3 western theme parks in the same area (didnt go to any of them but had a laugh spotting Wig Wams!
I saw 1 Ibex stuck to a cliff face but that was it, no wolves, bears or tigers. Saw some Vultures on the way down and a couple of eagles on the way up.
You are close ish to the sea side if thats your bag

Must say after all the grief you had with insurance work your truck looks very smart indeed , wish mine was that clean .

:lol: :teasing-wedgie: she's starting to look tired even without Captain Chaos helping things along , your truck encourages me to go for a full respray and underbody seal has been delayed far too long . Romania isn't too far for you Steve how about it next year ?

If I can find a sucker to work for me cheaper than me no problem! lol discussing with the boss about going back to Tabernas and area next year, but being better organised!

Great trip Steve, remember, you'd have no memories if it had all gone to plan!

The "Pioneering spirit" always wins! I've been stuck in a bog on my own before now, it's a bit scary when you've tried just about everything, several hours of hard work goes by, it's going dark and you're too many miles from any help. You start getting tired and worried, then suddenly some bright idea works and you're free again!

It would be great if you could make it here somehow, somewhen, you'd be more than welcome anytime.

Great photos mate, thanks for posting:thumbup:

:lol: :teasing-wedgie: she's starting to look tired even without Captain Chaos helping things along , your truck encourages me to go for a full respray and underbody seal has been delayed far too long . Romania isn't too far for you Steve how about it next year ?

Captain Chaos thinks that considering the extra weight you were pulling if sufficient braking distance had been left it wouldn't have happened, I can't drive your truck as well as mine.

Is that salt pans in front of you coming down that track?

greenhouses! hundreds of acres of them. Millions of tomato's incredible to see - we even came across a shanty down next to a new build greenhouse, with the frame work up. Dont know if they were building it or waiting to work there!

Quiet Shayne spilt milk water under the bridge not worth it let it go .

Looks like a fun trip. Some great scenery and trails and some adventures too. It's always good to get out with a Toyota :)

Never thought of going to that part of Spain on overland trip but it looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back