Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto box and a"fuse" !!! help.....

Country Flag
wales
Hi all !!!
Purchased a my cruiser few weeks ago with a problem with auto box, thought it be easy fix (oil change), but no !!
4 oil changes later and still having problems with box shifting through gears, I checked adjustment on cable and that seems ok, it moves freely. I cleaned the screen in the bottom of gearbox, it was real clean no particles. Some times it goes through the gears ok and other times it just don't play ball. I found out there a "fuse" which if removed for 10 secs wipes the fault codes, I not been having any flashing lights on dash like what some people say they get. I took it to a garage today and when attached to computer the mechanic could not get a signal from the diagnosis connector, I don't know if this is part of my problem or another glitch to fix !
There also a fuse which is for FUEL-HTR, its blown and keeps blowing, it also stops the interior lights working and radio when it blows !!!
any help be much appreciated, cheers for now :pray:

Unsure what model you have my friend?

If it is OBD I most garages have binned that equipment in favour of OBDII

If yours is the later electronic gearbox then it could be the solenoids going home which seems common enough.

Need more info?

regards

Dave

He has a 92 80 series Dave with the A442F box, i steered him in this direction from the dark side site, there's a lot of reading on there about his problems.

He has a 92 80 series Dave with the A442F box, i steered him in this direction from the dark side site, there's a lot of reading on there about his problems.

Ah got it ta. I have thrown him a few bones but my auto knowledge would not cover the back of a postage stamp...in font 98!

PM on way to you.

regards

Dave

HI guys, thought I had this fixed the other evening lol
I changed the atf again today, just to be sure.
The local garage connected their fault code reader up but it would not get a signal from the lc.
Some times it pulls away real nice and then other times it just revs then all of a sudden lunges forward, its like its building up pressure !!

Engine speed=750
Engine speed drops soon as it goes into gear
Under the bonnet it says I have a A442F box, but I don't have a O/D button or light on dash ???

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think the best bet is to find a reputable transmission shop and have them check the line pressure with a pressure gauge, the torque converter could be semi seizing this might give the 'manual' feeling of clutch slip.

regards

Dave

you have the older no electronics gearbox so there's nothing for a fault code reader to connect to. It could be a sticking valve in the valve body but there's no easy way of investigating that. If you take the oil pan off you have access to the valve body and could remove and take apart but you'd probably want to get a valve body gasket set first as the ones on there will be very brittle by now and more than likely fall apart as you take it apart.

Just a thought, does the gearbox 'mood' change with temp, i.e. ok when cold or..........

regards

Dave

I've got a 91 hdj81... After buying it I really dont like auto 80's! I have the HTR-FUEL fuse problem with the same interior light and radio issue, but it runs alright with the fuse blown.

My one runs ok appart from slipping in 3rd on hills, when towing heavy weights up and down the Welsh hills theres a chance of overheating. Which will make it eratically change up and down when its running hot.

When you changed the AT Fluid the first time, what was the colour of the fluid? I'm asking this as I'm suspecting that a full flush could have been done before you bought it.

If the auto transmision has cooked bady before then theres a chance that the valve block thats above the ATF filter is warped and a reason why its changing ok sometimes and eratic othertimes.. due to different running temps... which is why my auto trans plays up when close to max running temps.

Appart from that I really like my 80! Hope the info helps.. Iwan

Last edited:
If the auto transmision has cooked bady before then theres a chance that the solenoid block thats above the ATF filter is warped and a reason why its changing ok sometimes and eratic othertimes.. due to different running temps... which is why my auto trans plays up when close to max running temps.

This was the direction I was going, thinking cold heavier oil trans works good, when hot solenoids not sealing up or letting pressure by?

regards

Dave

Thanks for response guys, Temperature don't seem to make much difference, its just moody all the time, I have tried a few scenarios but the outcome the same. When I did the initial flush the oil was more brown than red, the guy I bought it off said you had to rev it to make it go, so I thought oil change and she be fine !!
I guess that's why we could not get any codes eh jon wildsmith lol
Thanks for the info on the HTR-FUEL fuse Iwan. I wont bother trying to fix that glitch.
Any advice on a autobox technician guys as it looks like it needs a professional :shock:
Thanks again Dave for your help, its a big learning curve, my hilux is so much simpler to work on lol :icon-biggrin:
I going to the lincomb social event on the weekend so looking forward to meeting up with fellow lc owners and learn some more !!!!

Hi Dean, if i remember correct there's four of them at around an eye watering £250 ish each

you don't need to worry about the price of solenoids because your box doesn't have them.

Well that's good news, I think !! so it aint the oil or screen, it aint the solenoids, it aint the cable,It goes into gear ok (the engine note drops) the engine runs smooth, so now im confused lol :think:

Checked auto oil this morning and added a can of WYNNS oil conditioner, I give anything a go, sitting at a jct wondering if I going to pull off or not is not my cup of tea :doh:
Also this morning new wiper blades and fan belt adjusted, no squeaking on initial start up :icon-biggrin:

At the back of injector pump there a round item with small pipe protruding, which I believe is something to do with vacuum, it does not go any where, nothing connected, any ideas guys ??

Heres some tests that can be done to hopefully get an idea of what could be the problem.
1446635914730.jpg

Its from a max ellory manual. You might have to look with your mobile and zoom in etc.

Hopefully it will be some help to you. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 20151104_111243.jpg
    20151104_111243.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 146
Back