Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Buy

ZARS

Country Flag
palestinian_territory
Dear Forum Members ,

I just bought a 1999 Land Cruiser ,105 series , Manual I will be using it for off road mainly and short daily drive ,

I'm kind of new to the Land Cruiser I previously owned Wrangle's , therefore I have a few questions in regards to the mod's

what type of differential do I have front and rear , what are the recommended upgrades available e.g. air lockers , selective locker or automatic lockers , ?
Does my stock diff's have lockers? Or LCD Diff?
Do I have the 4.2 liter or 4.5, how can I double check that?
As for the lift kit what is the most recommended lift kit for my ride?

Thank You

Zars

Hi Zars and welcome to the friendliest Landcruiser forum going. Pretty good intro and looking forward to seeing some photos of your 105.

Questions, have a search on here for 'axle codes' as there is a thread that has all the info. You should then be able to match the axle code from your VIN vehicle information plate.

Unless I'm very much mistaken and the 105 is vastly different,
4.5 is petrol
4.2 is diesel, Either turbo or non turbo.
It should say the engine size on your registration document (at least it does in the UK, I don't know if it does where you are [emoji6]).

Post up some photos when you can which may need to be after you have ousted 15 times. [emoji4]

Best
Richard.

Thank you for your reply , mine 105 is Petrol no Turbo , unfortunately and strangely it does not show on the registration of the Vehicle, therefore I'm confused .

do you have the link for axle codes thread

Thanks

will post some photos soon , I need a major paint Job and interior :)

Thanks

Z

Post 10 on this http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54111

Thread has a code sheet. Not sure if it will help with your 105 but worth a look.

Being petrol, I only know 80s, but I am pretty sure it's a 4.5.

Looking forward to the photos.

I think your lift question in your op is a bit open. You can put whatever lift on the truck budget, imagination and courage allows but for practicality I would expect something between 2" and 4".

Looking forward to those photos…keep posting. [emoji4]

105's normally come with 2 or 3 lockers, and constant 4wd. The central diff.lock is a push-button on the central dash-cluster. If you don't have this, there's chance you have the 2wd/4wd selector and no diff between front and rear. You'll see that this is the case if the transfer-shift-stick is "2H-4H-N-4L" (2wd high range - 4wd high - Neutral - 4wd low range).

The front and rear lockers are on a push-and-twist button to the left of the steering wheel. If you have a front locker, the button will say "Off - RR - FR(+RR)" for the 3 positions. You should also get the lights in the instruments cluster coming on as the diff.locks activate. It is common that the lockers get stuck if they are not activated regularly.

Welcome to the club Zars, and well done picking up the 105 :thumbup:

When you can post photos, some well aimed shots of the diffs, and the engine from a few different angles may help to answer your questions, if the axle codes approach fails.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I believe the 105 series didn't come with lockers, just the 100 series (ifs)

what I've learned over the year of my build, is that the FZJ105 (4.5 227hp petrol) is pretty tough and reliable, not the fastest one around but can keep up with all the V8 trucks ... the down side, it's drinks fuel more than the V8's.

Like the 105 is a big suv, a 3" lift is the limit to be handle gently with the center of gravity being really high.
Here's a pic of my FZJ105 with Tough Dog 3" lift kit and 285/75 r16 tires

WP_20160131_006.jpg

105 in some markets did come with full axle lockers.

Can't see the cruiser in the picture you posted looks like a nice sand dune though

Reply to your Question

Dear Forum Members ,

I just bought a 1999 Land Cruiser ,105 series , Manual I will be using it for off road mainly and short daily drive ,

I'm kind of new to the Land Cruiser I previously owned Wrangle's , therefore I have a few questions in regards to the mod's

what type of differential do I have front and rear , what are the recommended upgrades available e.g. air lockers , selective locker or automatic lockers , ?
Does my stock diff's have lockers? Or LCD Diff?
Do I have the 4.2 liter or 4.5, how can I double check that?
As for the lift kit what is the most recommended lift kit for my ride?

Thank You

Zars

Hi ZARS
Im guessing you are in SA by your username?

Anyway if you are then your car will most likely have the following specs:
Triple Diff locks - all stock
The petrol engine is the 4.5 Litre EFI motor which is a fuel injected straight six
Most blokes go for the Old Man Emu suspension and lift kit but there are many options available

Good Luck

Back