Club logo

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
I'm liking the new Club Logo.

french flag.jpg

I have a friend (an old workmate) living in Paris who works in the theatre industry and as you can understand I was worried about the current events but luckily she was at home last night and she lives on the left bank whereas the atrocities were on the right bank.

Glad to hear that Chas. Terrible events last night.

I fear this will not be the last…

Good job in the showing the support.

For me this is the new normal.... When going to Africa, I have often been asked about if I consider the danger... For me I have never felt danger there...Truth is the world is a horrible place with religion and politics destroying the harmony of people. I am so happy that we live in the mountains away from "targets"

God help us all where this is going.

On a side note the borders of France are truly locked down. Tonight the missus went to Geneva, normally a 24 minute journey, it took 2 hours to cross the border.... On Monday there is 120000 of us that live in France and work in Geneva, Switzerland, not sure how that's going to work....

European nations have been foolish allowing so called refugees access to their countries and in New Zealand there is a
liberal element that would open our doors wider.What has happened is terrible but that is the price we will all have to pay unless there is more scrutiny at border control.

Terrible events for sure. I think that tighter border controls everywhere would help. If you fly between countries, even France to UK, France to Germany passport is checked. Drive between Spain and France, and most other borders, nothing. Zero, no checks. Crazy!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great to see the show of support and solidarity from around the world.
Personally I can't see how the world will rid itself of this terror and fear without completely and utterly eradicating the animals who commit these atrocities, as well as those who incite and preach the hatred. Only then will the cycle stop.

Not much I can do to help the people of France - changing the logo was a small gesture. I, along with the whole 99% of world, think it is utterly atrocious. The cowards, those who support them and those that are indifferent, should all be blown back from whence they come.

Why didnt the logo change when the russian plane came down?

Why didnt the logo change when the russian plane came down?

A pointlessly loaded question and one which has no end; Why don't I change it for those who died in the market bomb in Baghdad? Or for Doris who lost her family in a car crash?

I guess many forum members are asking why. Why did the events in Paris happen? And the reason we ask this question is because none of us can really understand why anyone would unleash such hatred on innocent people. Those that did it call it 'justification'. It's this lack of understanding that emotionally opens us up and has us all very confused. The worst thing we can do now is make up an answer and channel a response aimed at those who are equally as innocent. For when that happens the 'terrorist' sees us out of control and fearful.
I am not a religious person, but i respect the rights of those who choose to believe in their deity. I do not however respect or tolerate those that use their beliefs to justify violence, whether it be though religion, politics, patriotism or bigotry.
In light of this just do what you can to make the world a better place; go for a drive in your Landcruiser and try to control your visceral response, however uncivilised it may seem.

There are many critics of the gestures of support shown here and elsewhere. For me, the Paris atrocity is all the more real because it's so close to home, and in a place that I am very familiar with. I must have been in Paris on 25 different occasions of varying length so it seems very real. It doesn't make it any more or less worthy than any other incidents, but I do think the nature of it hits home to a lot of people.
No matter what you do there will be detractors. Look at U2, cancelled their gig from last night and went to the Bataclan to lay wreaths, and the terrade of abuse given to them online is disgraceful.

I find the Why-don't-you-show-support-for-the-bombings-in-xyz-last-week camp intriguing. These terrorist acts took place "local" to us. Local being Europe, the west. Our local news agencies are covering them the same way that the local news outlets cover the atrocities in xyz. Just so happens that most of the world's news is made up of our "local" outlets. I am sure the people in xyz show the same amount of sadness for us as we do for them when it happens. "Shame, that's a terrible thing to happen. Pass me the toast please." Do I want or expect sympathy from every corner of the world? Nope. Offended by those who don't show it? Nope. So then, why do those get offended or whine when we don't show it to them - albeit on a near-daily basis? What makes me laugh is the number of British who whine on behalf of those in xyz but are really just armchair activists.

I find the Why-don't-you-show-support-for-the-bombings-in-xyz-last-week camp intriguing. These terrorist acts took place "local" to us. Local being Europe, the west. Our local news agencies are covering them the same way that the local news outlets cover the atrocities in xyz. Just so happens that most of the world's news is made up of our "local" outlets. I am sure the people in xyz show the same amount of sadness for us as we do for them when it happens. "Shame, that's a terrible thing to happen. Pass me the toast please." Do I want or expect sympathy from every corner of the world? Nope. Offended by those who don't show it? Nope. So then, why do those get offended or whine when we don't show it to them - albeit on a near-daily basis? What makes me laugh is the number of British who whine on behalf of those in xyz but are really just armchair activists.

:thumbup: Well said.

I can't believe your allowing yourself to be drawn into that question Crispin , its like calling someone a **** for putting a pound in a charity box .

With regards to why it happened there is no why for me , what happened in Paris is text book terrorism . To create fear and confusion in ones enemy is to strengthen ones own position by weakening the opposition . Divide and conquer . Politicians around the world will meet to bicker and quarrel about what should be done for months or years while actually doing nothing of any worth thus allowing terrorists plenty of time to plan and execute more atrocity .

Fear is the ultimate governor that's why billions are spent on nuclear weapons nobody can use . I just wish the UN would accept there is no civilized solution to this problem and act .

...there is no civilized solution to this problem and act .

I think that is problem - we, the proverbial we, are looking for a way to fix it the way we understand. The east was relatively stable way-back-when because things were controlled in a manner they understood. Now that that sledge-hammer approach to rule has been removed and peoples' opinions are taken to heart, things start to wobble.

We're trying to find a nice cushy way to deal with it because that's what the west understands. A democracy (in as much as you might believe) where you vote for someone who then sets rules to which you abide. A softly-softly approach won't work with people like those who committed, and those who agreed with, the Paris terrorism acts. They, and all levels of "extremism", need to be beaten back into a cave and the entrance cemented over. Each time it rears it's ugly head, it needs to be shot back down with a force that scares it.

Each time it rears it's ugly head, it needs to be shot back down with a force that scares it.
but how do you deal with fanatics who WANT to die?

Grant them their wish. It's a one-off gesture.

edit;

We've got nothing to prove. If they want to die then let it be. If it makes them feel better, fine. I believe death to be final. It's not like they are going to come back and say "see, I told you there were 7 virgins waiting for us".

For anyone wanting to be a suicide bomber, Suicide bomber training schools should be set up.

'Right, you've all got your vests on…good. No Ibrahim you've no need to go to the toilet just yet. Now, I'm going for a little march over there. On a count of 3 press the red button…

1,2,3…

You've all passed…

Next class tomorrow at 8…'

but how many others will die, kill one and dozens will take their place, death is not a deterrent.

Back