Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bluetooth garage door opener

ChrisNZ

Country Flag
new_zealand
Electric garage doors are pretty standard in a lot of Kiwi homes, but replacement remotes cost around NZ$80 each if not more, depending on model. Because our remotes are starting to show their age, I did a bit of research. First thing I discovered was that the head unit on my garage opener is an older model with DIP switches rather than a 'Learn' button so none of the newer Wifi or coded products (e.g. Chamberlain MyQ) will work. Rather than buy new remotes, I decided to go with bluetooth instead. Opted for a GarageMate bluetooth switch (which only cost US$50). Dead easy to install (literally attach two wires) and operate using an app. Happy to post pics if anyone else is thinking about it.

Electric garage doors are pretty standard in a lot of Kiwi homes, but replacement remotes cost around NZ$80 each if not more, depending on model. Because our remotes are starting to show their age, I did a bit of research. First thing I discovered was that the head unit on my garage opener is an older model with DIP switches rather than a 'Learn' button so none of the newer Wifi or coded products (e.g. Chamberlain MyQ) will work. Rather than buy new remotes, I decided to go with bluetooth instead. Opted for a GarageMate bluetooth switch (which only cost US$50). Dead easy to install (literally attach two wires) and operate using an app. Happy to post pics if anyone else is thinking about it.
I'd like to see some pics, I have often thought 'What it my remote fails' an alternative would be handy.

You have to press a button on the unit to pair it. If someone is that keen to get into our place, I'm sure there are easier ways :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chas,

Here are some pictures of the GarageMate. The unit is the white dongle hanging from the opener, which is plugged into a power outlet on the ceiling. The red and white wires from the dongle attach to the terminals on the opener (ignore the blue wire, it's for the alarm). The other pics show the app on my phone, which is simple enough to use. I'm not saying it can't be hacked, but the security seems to be pretty high because you have to have access to the dongle to pair it. The log shows when the door was opened/closed by users and time. I looked at wifi units with more features, but this did all I needed at a fraction of the cost. Sold online at www.bluemate.com if you want to know more.

IMG_2822.jpgIMG_2813.jpgIMG_2812.jpg

Unfortunately these will only work with existing remotes that use the same button for opening and closing, mine has separate buttons for each, bugger.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does your door have an internal push button like a bell push to open the door from inside? Most operators have this facility and that is what the receiver is wired in to here.
[emoji6]

Does your door have an internal push button like a bell push to open the door from inside? Most operators have this facility and that is what the receiver is wired in to here.
[emoji6]

No, it has a panel with a button for up another for down and a stop button.

Back