Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wanted 80 series

japper7

Hi. Just joined the group and been looking though a lot of pages. Thought this might be the best way to go.
I'm looking for a 80 series 4.2 manual amazon. About 1993 to 1997. Really after the one with lockers front and rear. With the leather. But might consider anything.
Anyway if you know of one please let me know. It would be much appreciated.
Gav

Hi Gav.

We get quite a few just coming on to buy 80s and flog them on. May be better introducing yourself in that section and telling us a little more about yourself as people seem to like that approach better :thumbup:

'93 Amazon. Hmm Might be tricky.

Welcome along Gav, but like Karl said, please go to the intro page and introduce yourself. There are some good buying guides to read too. I think that you'll find all UK 80's came with lockers. Now whether they still work or not is a different question. Let us know where you are in the country to so we can help you with your search. This is all about what you want, what you want it for, budget, mechanical ability and then waiting until something comes along. The more specific you are in your needs, the harder it is to find what you want.

Hi guys. I'm not looking to buy and sell only to buy and use! I'm not too clued up not cruisers. Been playing with 4runner and hiluxs the past 6 or 7 years.
I'm looking for a diesel manual. Want it for a every day motor and towing the toys about with. Don't want a rusty heap as like to buy something and keep it for a long time. Rust is what is eating my 4runner hence the hunt for a 80. Really just want something ready to rock but handy with a spanner so would look at anything.
Thanks gav

And I'm on the Isle of wight. For got to say. Willing to trave tho for the right truck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Gav and welcome, please bear in mind when looking for an 80 of any condition the newest is 17 years old and the oldest 25, that is up to 24 winters exposed to harsh conditions and the killer, salt. Also very few diesels have had an easy life as they are very capable workhorses. That said they are very robust mechanically and 200K+ is not unusual.
Don't discount an auto, the manuals are like driving a van in comparison and 12V autos usually come with air con.

Any Q's just ask

Andy

Welcome to the forum Gav.

Ok, I should have said that on the intro page, but what the heck! IOWighter eh? Watcher!

My my mother was born in Ryde, so as a kid I spent a lot of time on the island.

Good luck with your quest for an 80.

Any one will do as long as it's a good one!

Thanks for the advice guys.
I have been looking at a 4.2 r reg amazon. Full leather 8 seater. Only one thing that's put me off a little it's the miles. It's done 288k it's a uk truck so in miles. Looks clean enough tho.
Any thoughts?
I have seen a few with loads more but wondering what sort of miles would you get before I would be rebuilding the motor?
The guy says he's had it for 12 years and 220k. Always done the oils.
Could do without another project starting right now!
Thanks gav

If your ever over Clive your have to come and have a look and a play in the mud if it on :)

The engine is probably the most trouble free part of the car. If it's an R then it will be the 24v which doesn't suffer from the BEB issue that the 12 valvers did. At that mileage I just might be tempted to do the BEBs anyway just due to the fact it's nearly a 1/3 of a million! But as long as the oils have been done and it runs fine then with this engine it means that it IS fine. They're hugely over specced and massively under worked. Frank had a look inside his 140k miler and the honing marks were still visible in the cyls. You want to be looking at a cleanish chassis free from actual rusty bits falling off. Body work, well, they rust in places but looking at you collection I don't think that is something you would miss when looking. You know your cars. For the budget you mentioned, £4k sounds pretty good actually. You might get a bargain there if it looks fairly. Front axle will most likely need new seals. But what you see is usually what you get with these, no hidden horrors

If your ever over Clive your have to come and have a look and a play in the mud if it on :)

Not likely to visit with the Truck Gav, but anyway, if I ever do I'll PM you, Cheers :thumbup:

The engines are indeed very good, but lack of maintenance do kill them...
I had a 1HD-T (4.2 12V) engine with 170.000 miles (UK truck) and the injectors were never replaced. When I changed them the old injectors were not injecting any more but 'pissing' all over.
One of the cilinder walls was badly scraped and the 6th cilinder was bursted...
So I would recomend to change the injectors (the mileage usally gets a lot better after changing them too)

Thanks for the information. I'm thinking I'm going to have to good and that a look at this truck.
Hello Justin. Freshwater mate. :dance:

Welcome to the forum Gav, I'm often on the island in the 80 as the inlaws live in Freshwater Bay. Mine is for sale in the classified section but doesn't sound like it's what your looking for. If you're on the mainland viewing any others your welcome to come have poke around and drive for comparison sake.

Thought I would up date you all. Been too look at a couple of 80 series today and I'm still looking! The first one was a manual 4.2 24v r reg. 288k on the clock and felt like it had done that and more. Pressure plate in the clutch was on its last legs and was just really roppie for £4500.
2nd was a auto 4.2 24v j reg. Belive it or not it was in much better condition but felt like crap to drive. Hardy any rust in the chassis but lots of little bits of rust starting around the rear and front windows.
Lot better priced tho at £2800 but I can't help but think it's never worth that! Plus it had a brake line leak and felt like the brakes where stuck on!
Am I dreaming or will I actually find a 80 series manual cruiser worth buying?

They are out there mate. Some people send months viewing them not days lol.

If you find something your 70% happy with you can spend a little getting it where you want it.

Yeah the hunt has just begun I'm thinking. Lot of overpriced junk out there

Back