Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC5 Sat Nav Camera connection

Mad Miff

Country Flag
england
Hi LCers,

I bought a reversing camera, removed the sat nav unit, found a six pin socket in the back which matched the six slot plug that came with the camera. Pluged it in, connected the red cable to 12+ and black to earth but nothing happened.

The thing is, should it just be as straight forward as pluging the camera into the back of the unit or is there something else that needs to be done to bring the display up.

Even if the camera was a dud, surely the live feed on that plug on the unit would make it switch to av input mode.

Has anyone else managed to connect a camera up and if so please can you advise on the cable connections.

I tried to upload photos but it will not let me do it.

Sorry, cant help on this one but I would be interested in hearing how you get on as I know of an Lc5 with the std satnav screen setup which could benefit from a rear camera.

Slightly off topic, I installed a camera onto my Lc3 aftermarket headunit, it switches automatically to the camera (retains sound from radio / ipod) when reverse is engaged.
As far as I remember there was just one live feed to power the camera which I connected into the reverse light circuit, once powered up (ie reverse engaged), the screen always displays the camera view.

There are a couple of different camera formats (cant think of them right now), might be worth seeing if there is any sort of menu on the head unit where you can pick which format to use.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I thought it was going to be a simple job of plugging camera into the unit and providing power to the camera which would send a signal to switch the screen to the AV input. However I am now left wondering is there something else that needs to be set up on the unit or have I got a dead camera. IMAG1352.jpg

IMAG1353.jpg

Hopefully someone else has managed to do it with an LC5 as I know that older Amazons have got reversing cameras.

The rear view camera was offered as an option on the Lc5 so in theory anyway it could be a simple enough install. The Toyota camera was possibly £500+ when I checked and thats if it could still be got if even just to look at for comaprison sake.
I dont imagine theres any good reason for it to be so expensive if the head unit is pre plumbed.

Is there any other piece of kit about that you could test the camera with ?
I have an Lc workshop dvd at home, never looked at it but i'll have a look and see if I can find the camera wiring on it.

I have been right through all the menu options on the sat nav and there is nothing related to av inputs, so I think I will have to try connecting the camera to an old tv and car battery, check that works and then see if just connecting a live to the pin that the red wire connects to will cause the screen to switch. The plug is the right shape and number of holes in it match the number of pins in the sat unit but is still seemed a bit tight and I wonder if the plug molding is preventing a proper connection.

This I am sure is something that other LC5 owners must be interested in doing.

Hi, if you manage to get the camera to work without any NavTool adapter or something similar, please share you knowledge in here. I am trying to find information on how that should be done but I have not managed it yet.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi LCers,

I bought a reversing camera, removed the sat nav unit, found a six pin socket in the back which matched the six slot plug that came with the camera. Pluged it in, connected the red cable to 12+ and black to earth but nothing happened.

The thing is, should it just be as straight forward as pluging the camera into the back of the unit or is there something else that needs to be done to bring the display up.

Even if the camera was a dud, surely the live feed on that plug on the unit would make it switch to av input mode.

Has anyone else managed to connect a camera up and if so please can you advise on the cable connections.

I tried to upload photos but it will not let me do it.
I used a BEC108 on my LC4 - it just plugged into the back to the satnav. It was a few years ago, but I'm sure it was a 4-pin connector.

I didn't have to make any other connections - the camera powered straight from the head unit.

Back