Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stainless wheel nut covers

Shayne

Guru
I have been ordered to find myself a present from the kids and found stainless wheel nut covers which i think are are suitable in a cheap and cheerful sort of way . Trouble is i have never seen one in the flesh and in pics they do seem rather short to be of any use to me so any suggestions (links) for my 19mm nuts and steel wheels i will be in the bad books if i tell them to order something that doesn't fit :shifty:

Sometimes the stainless steel wheel nut covers are a real pain to get off when you're on the side of the road in the rain and dark. They get stuck on and when you try with some pliers or screw driver to pull them off they can get damaged.

Just from an annoying situation in the dark and rain once.. after that I always take them off when I see them on a new truck to me.

Just a thought. ...:thumbup:

That's the idea Clive I am hoping someone has bought some and so can tell me where from and they definitely will fit .

I get what your saying Iwan but i feel a bit like Scrooge myself when its about £1.50 a week just to keep them looking tidy so i wouldn't ask the kids to fork out for new nuts .

What about alloy nuts holding steel wheels on then .

https://www.tyres4sale.com/items.asp?cat=3&sub=5

viewImage.asp

What about alloy nuts holding steel wheels on then .

https://www.tyres4sale.com/items.asp?cat=3&sub=5

viewImage.asp

…just add salt… sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Plenty of lube needed for sure. Whenever I have encountered aluminium light fittings with steel screws in them out in the salt air those not greased have seized up solid. M12s might be different of course. They will certainly look pretty to start with.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would ally nuts stand the necessary torque settings?

I've used the Alloy nuts before with no problem, but I probably take wheels off at least once or twice a year so I never encounter them seizing... I imagine if you leave them on for long periods of time they may seize as alloy and steel don't go too well together. Like with anything, quality matters.

What about stainless steel?

I would buy stainless ones like a shot sadly i can't find any to fit . They sell them for Landrovers but maybe that's because an LR never goes faster than the recovery truck carrying it :icon-smile:

It may be worth mentioning here that the original nuts will be chromed steel and that stainless steel is softer, and of course ally softer still.

What about a tin of metal polish and a new game for the kids over Christmas. [emoji6]

Back