Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Day around Strata

Pumpy

Country Flag
england
From LLandovery into the Crychan Forset, onto Glancamddwr ford which was too fast flowing to do so skirted round onto Llwynbrain byway, and then up to the S. end of Strata, up to the Abbey and onto the link road (with permission) to do Claerwen from the North, down to the dam, and then lower Claerwen in the dark. Having snapped a half shaft/CV on Strata the 80 coped well doing the rest of the day in 2 wheel drive, especially lower Claerwen!

Fab day all round, long day tho, woke by campsite muppets at about 5am, got home at 2am on a recovery wagon!

More work for you there Trevor :thumbup:

Attachments

• Wales.jpg
    Wales.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Wales2.jpg
    Wales2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Wales3.jpg
    Wales3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Wales4.jpg
    Wales4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Wales5.jpg
    Wales5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Wales6.jpg
    Wales6.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Wales7.jpg
    Wales7.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 216
  • Wales8.jpg
    Wales8.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Wales9.jpg
    Wales9.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Wales10.jpg
    Wales10.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Wales11.jpg
    Wales11.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Wales12.jpg
    Wales12.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Wales13.jpg
    Wales13.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 200
  • Wales15.jpg
    Wales15.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Wales16.jpg
    Wales16.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Wales17.jpg
    Wales17.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 217
  • Wales18.jpg
    Wales18.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Wales19.jpg
    Wales19.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 206
  • WalesB&W.jpg
    WalesB&W.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 207
couple more pics, obligatory bomb hole pic, and lower Clearwen in the dark

Attachments

• BombHole.jpg
    BombHole.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Lower Claerwen.jpg
    Lower Claerwen.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 215
Looks like a good trip mate. See you next week

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Looks like a great day out - super pics too.

Excellent! Looks a bit on the damp side, was there much in the 80 after all that wading? :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did Strata a couple of months ago, there wasn't anywhere near that amount of water just a few patches of tyre deep stuff.

Excellent! Looks a bit on the damp side, was there much in the 80 after all that wading? :thumbup:

Dry as a bone:dance:Good job I'd just had the axle breathers extended at Freedom4x4 (Cheers boys, great job) I'm not a fan of Toyotas one way valves, can't understand why they think negative pressure inside the axle during wading is a good thing, if I ever have to drop the gearbox I'll extend them too.

I did Strata a couple of months ago, there wasn't anywhere near that amount of water just a few patches of tyre deep stuff.
We had increased levels of intepidation leading up to the trip as the weather report was for 7 hours of continuous heavy snow :pray: then we had to aviod Glancamddwr, reckon I could have done if I'd had to, but it was running way fast over a meter deep, discresion definately the better part of valour there :lol: so we were expecting Strata to be touch n go, when we got to the first ford we were like "huh? don't know what all the fuss was about" :lol: as you do :icon-biggrin:

Nice vids pumpy, some scratchy and damp lanes there.

I particularly liked the "dematerialising" lawn rollers, an opportune bit of editing, I must say :lol:

Cheers Clive, my first bit of video editing, was quite chuffed with it! Decided continuity wasn't as important as not boring the viewer with loads of stops :lol:

when I get a bit more O'fay with the editing s/w I thought about blowing up few fenders with secial effects :laughing-rolling:

Looks like a great day out. :thumbup:

Strata and the lane South of the dam are 2 of my favorite Welsh lanes. :icon-twisted:

Looks brilliant. Easy to forget these exist when you're living in the cities! Is there somewhere with these marked out on maps? Difficult to tell which OS byways are good and which aren't!

Trailwise is best for checking legality, it's not perfect as it's a user updated thing, so can often be out of date, in which case you can ask the local GLASS rep, or do it longhand via the local council websites looking at their definitive map and perm/temp TRO pages.

basic TW access is free, you get full access if you join GLASS.

I start from a OS map, I have all UK on memory map digital maps, check lanes on TW and/or council websites, mark a load of legal routes on the map, then join them up into a day route. These files can be exported and shared, but obviously need checking again before re-use if it's more than a few months since it was researched. I export the gpx route file to my GPS enabled tablet and drive from that in the car so I know I'm definately on a legal route.
http://www.glass-uk.org/
http://www.trailwise.org.uk/index.php

Back