Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project Burger-80 series

marsie

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Time to start a thread about my new project. Although i previously owned an 80 series about 10 years ago i am a land rover man at heart (and i do land rovers for a living) but when i was offered this 80 in p/x for my supercharged range rover a couple of weeks ago i couldn't resist

How it came to me a fortnight ago

20151110_154850.jpg20151110_154826.jpg20151110_154818.jpg

First jobs were to remove the wheel arches to get to the corrosion that was starting, sort a few electrical gremlins and tweak the fuel pump (surprisingly easy as its basically the same pump as fitted to TDi land rovers albeit with 2 more ports)

20151113_113402.jpg20151112_144923.jpg20151113_134534.jpg

I made the decision that i preferred the look of it without the arches so set about welding the holes up and patching the rear drivers side door (although i may live to regret doing away with the arches as i am now looking at bigger tyres). I also started making a winch bumper

20151113_155413.jpg20151113_155346.jpg20151113_142919.jpg 20151118_125225.jpg

Next job was a 2" lift, which turned out to be more like a 5" lift due to how much the originals had sagged and i also found a winch bumper for sale on Ebay so decided to buy that instead of making my own

20151124_134938.jpg20151124_134925.jpg

And thats about it for now, next job is some bigger tyres and rig the winch up:thumbup:
Paul

Nice truck! But I'm sure you've posted these pics before...:think:

You may well regret taking the arches off, mine never had them from new, but after fitting wider 305 tyres, on offset 10" rims, there was a good 50mm of protrusion from the body.

Off road was a nightmare when muddy, it used to fling mud everywhere, visibility from the side windows became nil.

Imagine fitting arches to an undrilled body, it wasn't easy to get them looking right, especially on the rear passenger doors.

image.jpeg

I posted some in the introductions section but thought it was time to start a thread in the correct section. I am toying with 315 75 16 tyres on standard rims so i may have to rethink my idea of leaving the arches off. At least if i remove the rear boot panels i will be able to see were the holes were and drill them out again :doh:

You may get away with it if you don't fit -ve offset rims. I think standard 80 rims are zero offset, so they may fit.

If your arches are in good condition keep them anyway, because they're very expensive to buy...

out of the 6 that came off, 2 are damaged quite badly, 1 is repairable and 3 are undamaged. But i have kept them all just in case

Bit of an update. Got the window rubbers fitted so now the windows wind up and down:icon-biggrin:. Have rebuilt one of my old winches and fitted it. Removed the full exhaust system and made a 3" straight through, although this will be getting some more work as it is currently too loud:icon-twisted:

I have also sprayed and refitted the wheel arches in readiness for bigger tyres
20151222_135430.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good move on fitting back the arches, IMO they look much better with them on, and will complement the bigger wheels/tyres nicely :thumbup:

I quite like the look of them without the flares. You can run 315's without them unless you use wheel spacers or offset wheels but it will be messier than with them.

When running my other set of 17" x 315's, with arches, the sides of the truck get plastered. They have a silly -30 off set which takes them right to the edge of the flares. My new 16" 315s seem to just sneak in a little bit more and I'm not getting the same spatter now.

Looking very tidy now. Going to be a well sorted vehicle.

+1 on the arches they keep things in proportion , truck pics rarely tell the truth so i will say Clive's truck is the proportionate 80 i have seen with my own eyes , just don't tell him i said so :icon-wink:

+1 on the arches they keep things in proportion , truck pics rarely tell the truth so i will say Clive's truck is the proportionate 80 i have seen with my own eyes , just don't tell him i said so :icon-wink:

Pardon? I heard that :lol: (as someone used to say on tv eons ago....)

I always thought my rims were zero offset, but now I'm thinking they must be a little bit -ve, maybe 10mm. I'll have a go at measuring them one day.

The tread comes almost to the edge of the flares on 305s. Before the arches were fitted, they looked like Roman charriot wheels, only needed some spikes :lol: It looked quite chunky and raw, but it was totally impractical. Even on the road, rain-spray was amazing, like your own personal fog-maker.

Are yours 16x10 rims Clive ? I have kicked myself for forgetting to take a photo when i tried them on my truck .

Are yours 16x10 rims Clive ? I have kicked myself for forgetting to take a photo when i tried them on my truck .

Yep, but not certain of the offset, although they look zero, I think they may be -10mm. Must get round to measuring them one day.

Hi guys being the new proud owner i was going to start a new thread but thought i might as well carry it on in this one.
Don't pick the truck up till next week but buying toys already, just bought a snorkel off fleabag for 59 quid, had one of these on the other truck for 3 years no issues, can't really go wrong for 59 quid, just need the truck now...can't wait.:icon-smile:

Attachments

• WIN_20160129_131008.JPG
    WIN_20160129_131008.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 416
Hi guys being the new proud owner i was going to start a new thread but thought i might as well carry it on in this one.
Don't pick the truck up till next week but buying toys already, just bought a snorkel off fleabag for 59 quid, had one of these on the other truck for 3 years no issues, can't really go wrong for 59 quid, just need the truck now...can't wait.:icon-smile:

:clap: A bit envious of the purchase TBH, from the pics this looks a beaut of a truck :icon-cool:

Have fun with the mods, but think about it before you do it, whatever it is.

Some decisions get made and then in hindsight, an alternative might have been better. Think long-term.

You must be itching to get your hands on .... :lol:

I've been thinking about lots of mods for mine…that's why my garage and shed now resemble a part store and my cruiser is unmodified.

Last edited:
Sorry made a mistake, the snorkel wasn't 59 quid, it was 47 quid including delivery.... god bless China:pray:

Not long now mate:thumbup:. Will be sorry to see it go but am glad its going to somebody who will carry on where i left off. Will definitely be checking in on its development
Paul

Last edited:
WIN_20160205_154132.JPGToday i had a play with the truck, fitted the snorkel, had to arse about with it for an hour to make it fit (that's why it was 47 quid) but its on now.
Fitted my gypo windscreen sun visor off the old truck, was going to put a new one on but nobody stocks them any more, just wheels to sort now:thumbup:
WIN_20160205_154115.JPG
Peanuts happy with his new expensive kennel:icon-biggrin:

project burger

WIN_20160212_114333.JPGWIN_20160212_114347.JPG
Got the wheels on today, had to use 30mm spacers to make em fit, not really a big fan of spacers, seen some come off..... not pretty:icon-sad:.
Only bought the tyres week before Xmas, so they were going on it no matter what, looks better and at least my 12 year old daughter doesn't think it looks gay anymore:icon-biggrin:.
Going to give it a run to Ynyslas beach tomorrow... just for the hell of it:thumbup:.

WIN_20160212_114333.JPG WIN_20160212_114347.JPG

Back