Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gear change problems!

VX 90

Hi

I just can not seem to find out what the problem is.

When I accelerate and de-cellarate there is a knocking noise and feeling from the front. The same happens when a change gear? It feels like summating is lose or warn.

The strange thing is, if I change to the 4 wheel drive gear to Low it does not happen and cruiser runs much smoother.

Ive changed the rear UJ joints and that made no difference.

Hope you guys can help because it a great 98 model and this is the last thing I need to fix before its 100%

Thanks for any help

Phill

Can I assume that . .

1. You have a standard UK-spec 'Colorado' ??
2. You have a manual gearbox ??

In order to engage 'Low Ratio' you will first have to lock the Centre Differential (Transfer Lever moved from 'H' to 'HL' - which locks the Diff, then across to the right and forward to 'N' then forward again to 'LL' - which engages Low Ratio).

Is the car smoother when you just lock the Centre Diff when in High Ratio ??

If yes, it would point to a problem with the Centre Differential in the Transfer Box rather than a Gearbox problem.

If you could confirm (or not) the above it will help to narrow down the number of possibilities.

Bob.

Follow what Bob says, but it sounds like the chain in the transfer box is loose/ jumping on its gear

Hi Bob

Its an import that is in Norway and yes it a manual.

When I select HL the vehicle runs very smooth with no problems. There whole car seems to handle much better when this gear is selected.

Is it bad fro the vehicle if drive with in HL instead of H?

Thanks you for all your help.

Phill

Follow what Bob says, but it sounds like the chain in the transfer box is loose/ jumping on its gear

I recently put a new chain into a Transfer Box for a TLOC member. I had re-built his TB which was a complete mess inside (full of oily mud :shock:) and the original chain was stiff but looked OK . . . Wrong . . it loosened-up and started skipping.

It skipped in both High AND Low ratio so I didn't think that was the cause of this problem.

If the rear prop and speedometer drive extension housing are removed there is a cut-away at the top of the rear cover where the chain can be seen. It can be tested by levering it away from the sprocket teeth with a screwdriver.

It doesn't have to look very slack to skip - maybe a touch more than half the tooth depth.

You really don't want to find this inside a Transfer Box :whistle:.

The chain inspection hole can be seen at the right-hand side of the cover.

DSCN4857_zps3m9f0sxf.jpg

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If your on On a surface with good solid grip do not drive very far with it in HL you will damage the transmission.

Your noise is coming from the front I would check the front propshaft for any play.

or check for a torn/worn gearbox/engine mounting.

Last edited:
Thank you

Ill check both of those things. Would it be worth changing the UJ joints?

Thanks

Phill

Bob
Is it a problem to drive with HL selected? Phill

Yes. On a dry road it puts great stress on the Centre Differential Planet Carrier. The car will start to labour as the two output shafts start to fight each other and eventually something has to give - either . .

A tyre will skip on the road.
A Half Shaft will break
The Planet Carrier will disintegrate.

I stripped another Transfer Box recently where this had happened.

This is what a new Planet Carrier looks like:

DSCN7557_zpsscoqfu9g.jpg

This is what came out of the box :)wtf:):

DSCN5570_zpsbd54ogo3.jpg

You say the noise is coming from the front when the Centre Differential is 'open'. . . That could indicate a problem with the Planet Carrier (with the noise affecting the front propshaft drive). But do as suggested above - check the propshaft bolts and UJs before worrying about the Transfer box.

Bob.

Might be an idea to prop the truck up so all 4 wheels are free so you can see whats happening when you let the clutch out

Back