Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Face Book integration and iPads

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Is anyone else with an old iPad having problems with this site now there are Face Book icons on all posts?

I can only see the first 1 or 2 posts of any thread before Safari reports a page error and then reloads. It then reloads and gets the same error.

All was fine before the Face Book icons were added.

NO.

I'm using either an iPad 2 (the last run of the "big plug" model) or a new iPad "Air", no problems on either, except occasionally, the "site" icons come up as text instead of the silly face, but that has always happened since becoming a member years ago.

On my old iPad (1st gen) I can not get past the first couple of posts before Safari crashes.

It does it on Face Book sometimes too so I'm guessing it is a Face Book related issue now that it has been integrated here.

Not a problem, it just means I can only view/post here from the desktop.

I wonder if it's got something to do with the now-old ipad one and SVG/HMTL 5 which the plugin is using?

You could be onto something there Cris, 5th post and I can see it here on the iPad and reply.

You must have scared it into submission.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Spoke too soon. Impossible to use the site on the iPad now.

As I said above, it's not an issue but just thought I would let you know.

Most odd. Can someone confirm if it's ok with a newer iPad and is there anyone else with an older iPad who can confirm this is also a problem. If so then I will look at disabling it for the older iPads...

Still ok with ipad 2 and 7.1 software.
grtz
wout

Just tried it on my partners 1st Gen iPad (same model as mine), the same error occurs.

any chance of a screenshot of the error? It might be something I can fix. If I can't fix it then I'll see if I can remove it for older iPad browsers.

any chance of a screenshot of the error?
It just freezes the screen, then eventually goes Grey. Then after about 20-30 seconds it says at the top of the screen:-
A problem occurred with this web page, so it was reloaded

Then the page reloads and then does the above again.

I can sort you a couple of screen shots if you want, but one will simply be Grey and one will show the error message.

If it is only impacting those of us with archaic 'i' devices, don't waste too much time trying to sort it.

Last edited:
If it is only impacting those of us with archaic 'i' devices, don't waste too much time trying to sort it.

iPads make up 30% of my OS users. (I did not think it was that high :) )
Safari makes up for 34% of the last 30 days browser usage. I think I need to ensure it works.

I'll take a look and see what I can do and if I can detect it, not show it on archaic (read: 3 year old) hardware.

Back