Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Persistent Gearbox Leak

mkamp

Country Flag
australia
Hi All,

I have a persistent oil leak which is coming from the front of the gearbox on my 1990 HZJ75 Troop Carrier, H55F gearbox.
I've now pulled the gearbox 4 times to try and find the source of the leak and fix it. the leak is showing up at the bottom of the bell housing. So far I have tried:

- Attempt 1 - New input shaft seal & Bearing cover gasket
- Attempt 2 - New input shaft seal & Bearing cover gasket with RTV on the gasket
- Attempt 3 - Replacing the gasket with Permatex 'The Right Stuff'
- Attempt 4 - Replacing the top gear shiftier cover gasket as I thought it could have been coming through there and running down the front of the gearbox.

It's not leaking through the input shaft seal as the tube the clutch fork runs on is dry on the inside, and is definitely gear oil as it is not black like the engine oil and has the distinctive gear oil smell.

Has anyone out there had similar issues which they were able to solve, or has other advice around this area? I would really prefer to not have to change out the clutch again due to it being oil soaked.

Thanks!

Marcel

Is there any movement on the shaft? has the bearing failed so that the shaft is causing the seal to fail prematurely? There's not a lot of places G'box oil can escape within the bell housing.

Mark...

Thanks Mark,

From memory the bearings were pretty good on the input shaft, but I will check them again next time I have it out.
I put a UV tracer dye into the oil to try and isolate the area of the leak.

Cheers, Marcel

Good idea with regards to the tracer dye Marcel, will be interesting to know where it's coming from. When are you going to look at it next?

Best regards

Mark....

I'm hoping to get in there in a week's time as this weekend is out with SCUBA Diving. The Dye hasn't shown up on the outside yet.
Also, in the mean time, I've found a fuel leak from the #6 fuel injector where it connects to the pipe, which probably should take priority.
Interesting to know that Diesel Fuel (at least with Austrailan Additives) glows white under UV light, as does the particular brand of coolant I've got in the cooling system. The tracer Dye in the oil glows orange so should show up quite easily when it does start leaking. I actually had to get the dye from the UK as it isn't easy or cheap to get in Aus.

I'll let you know what the tracer dye shows up.

Marcel

Back