Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1998 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER COLORADO 3.4 AUTO Petrol

ratrace

Country Flag
uk
ok friend is selling his LC maybe to me (i hope)
but need some help

Any know faults i should check out with this LC

What is miles per gallon/litres

Also as far as i remember it is standard with no upgrades

Also there is a empty parking space on my drive to be fill

I have been waiting for that announcement Mike :thumbup: its about bloody time :clap:

Shouldn't this be in the 90-series forum?
This space is reserved real cruisers ... :)

Your sig suggests you've had the diesel Colorado so I presume you know about all the bits common to diesel and petrol models. Enginewise I think the 3.4 V6 is a great engine; mine hase done nearly 190k miles and is as sweet as a nut, uses no oil and pulls really well. It has been serviced every 10k miles without fail and I'd want to see that on a high miler. Fuel consumption has ranged from 16 to 24mpg over three years; low end in the Winter on short runs and a one-off 24mpg on a holiday to wales; I never really push it at is seems happier driven gently. Lifetime average with me is 20mpg (car is un-modified). I'm not a fan of LPG conversions as the installation quality can be variable and I've read reports of valve recession over long periods of LPG use.

Shouldn't this be in the 90-series forum?
This space is reserved real cruisers ... :)

It may well be misplaced on the forum but as for real cruisers

Well as I pointed out in the Door Speakers Thread, Morocco 2015 Club Trip, 100% of 95's did the distance, only 50% of the 80's managed it :icon-wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It may well be misplaced on the forum but as for real cruisers

Well as I pointed out in the Door Speakers Thread, Morocco 2015 Club Trip, 100% of 95's did the distance, only 50% of the 80's managed it :icon-wink:
How many 80's failed and how many 95's?

3 out of 6 80's completed their planned trip although Mussy did have his gearbox issues, no 95 failures which prevented completion of the trip :)

What caused the 80's to drop out/not complete?

Actually everyone had some issues. Of the group that completed to trip, my inner drivers side steering joint was fecked but made it home, Byron had his starting issue, George had a bent bumper from recovering a stuck land rover and IsleofMan had to borrow some spring washers from me to ensure some transmission bolts didn't work loose and got a puncture

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Mike.

I was surprised you went for petrol Mike but i think its fair to say it's likely the better option for you , from what i can gather they have the most power of all standard 90's and are more or less a bomb proof engine , your not a speed freak and the diesels do like to be worked hard . Official figures give 20mpg combined and so with the price of petrol at present it will probably prove cheaper to run than a diesel for you . Other than that i can only imagine it shares most components with its diesel equivalent so check for age related wear of bushes , steering rack leaks and as Mark says the rear diff actuator which often seizes through lack of use even if the housing looks good .

Wayne will borrow a set of trade plates from his boss so long as wayne drives it home so that not a problem.

We will see saturday if i can do a deal

Seat belts are a bargaining point they will be crap at retracting , they all are even my brand new ones :|

Seat belts are a bargaining point they will be crap at retracting , they all are even my brand new ones

got a spare set from a (M) Landrover they are in perfect working order even after all these years, might have to fit them

I've had my 3.4 Colorado for coming up to 12 years now and 170k miles. It has had an LPG conversion since about 100k/6 years and has been fine so far. The 5VZ-FE engine is a pretty bombproof engine and all anecdotal evidence suggests that it copes well with LPG conversions without suffering from VSR. It's never let me down........so far.

I consistently get around 22mpg and 19mpg on long m'way runs on petrol and LPG respectively. It was about 1-2mpg better on the OEM 265/70R16 Dunflops before I fitted 265/75R16 ATs. However I'm happy to live with that penalty. Around town and on short journeys, expect that to suffer - 16/15mpg is about the best you can expect.

Not much to look for specifically on the 3.4V6 but at this age and if the mileage is high'ish - I would check the following;

Check for leaks around the rocker cover gaskets - mine started leaking (very slowly) around 150k, though never "used" any oil according to the dipstick.
Check the exhaust - only available from Mr Toyota and ££££s - so look at custom SS options, will be cheaper and better.
Check when the timing belt was changed - should be every 60k. Engine is non-interference, so not the end-of-the-world if it does let go. Probably good to change water pump every 2nd belt change. (At least that is what I did)
Make sure you extend the engine on the test run - should rev smoothly and comfortably past 4k rpm and on towards the red line (You may need to hold it in "2"nd gear to test this :whistle:) Also make sure that the gear changes are smooth too and the overdrive on/off is all working.
Changing the spark plugs can be a PITA but if you fit Iridium plugs, they're usually good for 30k+

As others have said, check the generic 90/95 (weak) points; Rad/autobox oil cooler leak, rear suspension turrets etc. The 3.4V6 (UK models) only came as automatics in VX spec, so make sure that all the toys work - heated seats, electric windows, mirrors, front seat adjustment, sunroof etc.

Depending on condition, you may need to budget for suspension renewal, brake overhaul and full service, some rust treatment etc. So take that into consideration and use that to negotiate if necessary.

Good Luck. :thumbup:

I'm sure I've forgotten something........

Last edited:
Lets face it your looking at a 15 to 20 year old cruiser so if its in very poor condition its only going to be twice as good as a Landrover :icon-wink:

Lets face it your looking at a 15 to 20 year old cruiser so if its in very poor condition its only going to be twice as good as a Landrover :icon-wink:

You're just loving this aren't you Shayne :lol:

Good luck with the purchase Mike, but I'm disappointed you've not chosen a real cruiser, you know what I mean, one with real axles and lockers and stuff... :whistle:

What you're chasing is just a big car...

Runs and hides...:shifty:

Back